Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-02-2018, 08:02 PM

Default Shimano sustain 3000fg

Guys does any one here have the Shimano Sustain 3000FG reel ? Whats your opinion of it?
Old 05-02-2018, 08:12 PM

Someone thinking about buying a reel off kijiji? lol

All of the higher end Shimano's are great reels. I picked up a Sustain this winter but haven't used it yet, considering I also got a Stella it probably won't see that much use though lol.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:33 PM

I sure am lol.It looks like a great deal compared to store price.

Last edited by Jawjacker; 05-02-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawjacker View Post
I sure am.It looks like a great deal compared to store price. The seller is an x employee of cabelas.
It is a reasonable price, you don't get warranty but the chances of needing it are slim anyways.

I got mine at Cabelas too, they blew them out in the fall/winter because they are a discontinued model now.

As mentioned I haven't used mine yet but been using Stradic Ci4's for a couple years now and I own around 10+ different Shimano reels and have never had an issue with any of them. Imo they are hands down the best reels you can buy(not a fan of a couple of the cheap models though) and the Sustain is one of the best they offer.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
It is a reasonable price, you don't get warranty but the chances of needing it are slim anyways.

I got mine at Cabelas too, they blew them out in the fall/winter because they are a discontinued model now.

As mentioned I haven't used mine yet but been using Stradic Ci4's for a couple years now and I own around 10+ different Shimano reels and have never had an issue with any of them. Imo they are hands down the best reels you can buy(not a fan of a couple of the cheap models though) and the Sustain is one of the best they offer.
Thank you sooo much for your advise. My dream is to own a Stella one day but this Sustain looks pretty cool. Tight lines
Old 05-02-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Guys does any one here have the Shimano Sustain 3000FG reel ? Whats your opinion of it?
The Sustain is the best reel you can buy short of a Stella, they’re amazing reels.

Extremely tight tolerances, precise gearing, buttery smooth, infinitely adjustable drags, solid construction and lightweight.

I have a couple and I love them.

If the Sustain is in your budget you can’t go wrong.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:36 AM

The sustain is a great reel no doubt about it. My personal favorite line of reels by Shimano is the Sahara. They only run about $130.00 and they are fantastic. I would say that some of the upper echelon reels like the Stradic and the Sustain have slightly smoother drag and a bit more buttery feel when spinning the handle and watching the spool work but overall for the money, the Sahara is right up there and those differences are honestly negligible when you are actually using it. BUT if you have the money why not by the very best and the Sustain would be right up there IMO.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:56 AM

I used to use the Saharas and loved them but not as much of a fan since they changed them. One downside to the Saharas(at least older models) was a thinner bail that gets bent easier then the higher end reels.

Now I recommend the Nasci which is a really nice reel and only a bit more money.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:43 AM
Banned

Default Get a Stella

If it's a Shimano you want, save up a little longer and get yourself a Stella. You're going to spend $400 on a Sustain, you might as well save a little longer and get yourself the Stella. Some people will waste $100-$200 on a reel that lasts 3-4 years, then buy a new one. Consider a Stella like a life time investment, they are built to last.

I have a Sustain and a couple Stella's, the Stella's definetly feel smoother. Another really nice reel I have is a Diawa Certate. Even though it's one step below the Steez, I'd compare its performance to the Stella, and definetly above the Sustain. Dollar for dollar I'd say it's the best.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I used to use the Saharas and loved them but not as much of a fan since they changed them. One downside to the Saharas(at least older models) was a thinner bail that gets bent easier then the higher end reels.

Now I recommend the Nasci which is a really nice reel and only a bit more money.
That's an excellent point, I have not tried the new version, I have 3 of the Sahara reels in the old style metallic grey color. I haven't used one since they switched to the gold and black profile but I cant imagine why they would change something like that. Unless they realized they were leaving money on the table somewhere and changed a few things for the worse. I must say I have bent one bail pretty bad but it was laying along side of the boat floor and someone stepped on it. I don't know many spinning reel bails that would not have bent under that. I manually straightened it back out and haven't had any issues since. I did have one reels drag system break down after a year of hard usage but it was a tiny mechanism that The Reel Doctor fixed up right away. I love the Sahara line of reels. Don't get me wrong I love the big money reels as well but if and when something happens to your Sahara it isn't as tough to swallow because they are so reasonably priced. My two cents
Old 05-03-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
If it's a Shimano you want, save up a little longer and get yourself a Stella. You're going to spend $400 on a Sustain, you might as well save a little longer and get yourself the Stella. Some people will waste $100-$200 on a reel that lasts 3-4 years, then buy a new one. Consider a Stella like a life time investment, they are built to last.
Stellas are amazing, and if you can swing it, by all means, go for it, you'll enjoy it for the rest of your life, but honestly, unless you've got $$$$ to burn and you are an absolutely passionate fisherman, they are not a reel I would recommend. It's more than saving up a "little longer", the latest version is well over $1000 CDN. You can buy two Sustains or three CI4s for that amount of money. Or buy a CI4 and put your money into a high end rod that will really change your fishing.

The two reels that I think represent the best value in the Shimano lineup are the Stradic CI4 and the NASCI.

If you're after a high end reel that will last a lifetime, the new Stradic CI4 is the best bang for your buck in my opinion. You get features and performance that are very close to the Stella at 1/3 of the cost. You can buy a better reel, but I don't think you can buy a better value. I actually sold a few of my older Sustains and replaced them with the new CI4. In my opinion, it's a better reel and a better value.

I agree with RavYak on the NASCI. The step from the CI4 to the NASCI is about the equivalent of the step from the Stella to the CI4, maybe a bit bigger. You get excellent performance at a reasonable price though. For the dedicated fisherman, the $20 step up in price from the Sahara (a 6 pack of craft beer these days) over the course of a lifetime of use is worth every penny. The NASCI has an improved drag, an added sealed bearing, and core protect for salt water resistance.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrance Fishburn View Post
That's an excellent point, I have not tried the new version, I have 3 of the Sahara reels in the old style metallic grey color. I haven't used one since they switched to the gold and black profile but I cant imagine why they would change something like that. Unless they realized they were leaving money on the table somewhere and changed a few things for the worse. I must say I have bent one bail pretty bad but it was laying along side of the boat floor and someone stepped on it. I don't know many spinning reel bails that would not have bent under that. I manually straightened it back out and haven't had any issues since. I did have one reels drag system break down after a year of hard usage but it was a tiny mechanism that The Reel Doctor fixed up right away. I love the Sahara line of reels. Don't get me wrong I love the big money reels as well but if and when something happens to your Sahara it isn't as tough to swallow because they are so reasonably priced. My two cents
Regarding the bails I haven't looked close enough at the new ones to know if they upgraded them(they very well may have). Overall they are probably still a good reel but I think the Nasci's just offer too much more for only being an extra $20.

The Stradic Ci4's are awesome reels that I really like. I will see if the Sustain or Stella win me over enough to warrant their higher price tags but if I was to buy more reels for my primary use it would likely be more Stradic Ci4's.

For anyone starting out at getting into good gear I can't say that I would recommend waiting and saving for a Stella. You can spend that money much wiser and end up with an excellent collection of reels that will work better in a variety of roles. For example instead of buying a Stella 2500 you could buy a Stradic Ci4 1000, 2500 and a Tranx which is going to give you great reels rigged properly to target every species from small trout to sturgeon.

The Stella imo is a reel you look at upgrading too once you already have a great collection and you want to spoil yourself with the best gear.

Edit: Lol Walleyedude beat me to it.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:31 AM

Well I just got another rod I will be using for walleye rigging. Guess I will be looking into the Nasci. Cheers
Old 05-03-2018, 02:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
Stellas are amazing, and if you can swing it, by all means, go for it, you'll enjoy it for the rest of your life, but honestly, unless you've got $$$$ to burn and you are an absolutely passionate fisherman, they are not a reel I would recommend. It's more than saving up a "little longer", the latest version is well over $1000 CDN. You can buy two Sustains or three CI4s for that amount of money. Or buy a CI4 and put your money into a high end rod that will really change your fishing.

The two reels that I think represent the best value in the Shimano lineup are the Stradic CI4 and the NASCI.

If you're after a high end reel that will last a lifetime, the new Stradic CI4 is the best bang for your buck in my opinion. You get features and performance that are very close to the Stella at 1/3 of the cost. You can buy a better reel, but I don't think you can buy a better value. I actually sold a few of my older Sustains and replaced them with the new CI4. In my opinion, it's a better reel and a better value.

I agree with RavYak on the NASCI. The step from the CI4 to the NASCI is about the equivalent of the step from the Stella to the CI4, maybe a bit bigger. You get excellent performance at a reasonable price though. For the dedicated fisherman, the $20 step up in price from the Sahara (a 6 pack of craft beer these days) over the course of a lifetime of use is worth every penny. The NASCI has an improved drag, an added sealed bearing, and core protect for salt water resistance.
I had a couple CI4's and didn't like them nearly as much as my Sustain FG's. The ergonomics on the Stradic's are not suitable for anyone with larger hands, I found I would always get my middle finger wedged between the rod and stem of the reel. Made for an uncomfortable day of fishing.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
The ergonomics on the Stradic's are not suitable for anyone with larger hands.
Shimano did move the reel closer to the rod on their reels to improve weight distribution/center of gravity and overall sensitivity. It's a very minor change though.

Everyone has different preferences, but I can't agree with such a broad statement. I've got big hands, and even with the 1000 size reels, which are quite a bit smaller than the next size up 2500/3000, I've never found this to be a problem, even when wearing gloves in late fall.

Last edited by Walleyedude; 05-03-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Shimano did move the reel closer to the rod on their reels to improve weight distribution/center of gravity and overall sensitivity. It's a very minor change though.

Everyone has different preferences, but I can't agree with such a broad statement. I've got big hands, and even with the 1000 size reels, which are quite a bit smaller than the next size up 2500/3000, I've never found this to be a problem, even when wearing gloves in late fall.
Lol, it's not a broad statement, it's a fact. Another fact is both the Sustain and Stella, even the Certate for that matter, don't have that problem. With my hands it's definetly noticeable and uncomfortable. Just because your hands fit doesn't mean everyone's will, and at $250 a pop I would suggest it's something the OP considers.

The Sustain is a great reel, better than the Stradics, hence the difference in price. I've owned both and still own one Sustain. I'll never by another stradic but that's my preference.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Lol, it's not a broad statement, it's a fact. Another fact is both the Sustain and Stella, even the Certate for that matter, don't have that problem.
Actually, it’s not a fact, it’s your opinion on how the new Stradic reels fit your hand. I diaageee with your opinion, and I stated my opinion. Simple as that.

Also, the new Sustain (available only in sizes 2500 and above) shares the exact same reel design parameters (G Free Body) and dimensions as the Stradic, and they’re both based off of the previous Stella’s dimensions, which have been updated again on the latest model.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Actually, it’s not a fact, it’s your opinion on how the new Stradic reels fit your hand. I diaageee with your opinion, and I stated my opinion. Simple as that.

Also, the new Sustain (available only in sizes 2500 and above) shares the exact same reel design parameters (G Free Body) and dimensions as the Stradic, and they’re both based off of the previous Stella’s dimensions, which have been updated again on the latest model.
Ha! Whatever dude. You just admitted it's their design YOURSELF.... LOL.

The OP was specifically asking about the Sustain FG 3000, not the 2500 G free body, go re-read the title...

It is your opinion and little hands that fit the Stradics. OP, do yourself a favor and try out a stradic strapped to a fishing rod before you slap the money down on one. I've owned them and am speaking from facts not opinions.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
do yourself a favor and try out a stradic strapped to a fishing rod before you slap the money down on one.
This is excellent advice. They sell themselves when you do that.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:42 PM

Thanks guys for all the advice. I ended up getting the new un-used Sustain for $220 including a spare spool ,package of Suffix 832 Braid 150 Yards 20 lb and original receipt . Turns out he owns three Stellas 2500 , 3000 and 4000 and 2 more Sustains 3000 and 4000. He was such a nice person to deal with . His Warrior boat on the driveway was amazing to look at also. The only reason he was selling the reel was because he won others in tournaments. Tight lines all.

Last edited by Jawjacker; 05-03-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys for all the advice. I ended up getting the new un-used Sustain for $220 including a spare spool ,package of Suffix 832 Braid 150 Yards 20 lb and original receipt . Turns out he owns three Stellas 2500 , 3000 and 4000 and 2 more Sustains 3000 and 4000. He was a such a nice person to deal with . His Warrior boat on the driveway was amazing to look at also. The only reason he was selling the reel was because he won others in tournaments. Tight lines all.
That’s a great deal!