Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-14-2017, 07:18 PM

Default HSM Ammo

Any one have any luck with these bullets in .223
They are the 40gr polimer tip type. I'm feeling they are an incossistant load with my rifle. (Savage .223 rem with Accutrigger) missed a coyote broad side today after sighting in a tight group at 100 yards. Yote was at 70 yards. I'm blaming it on the ammo and am not feeling confident with it. Any one have similar experience?
Cheers
Old 01-14-2017, 07:35 PM

Haha, sighted in with tight groups and then blame the ammo! I have been using the hsm 55 grain v-max ammo for my 223 and dropped two coyotes With one shot each so far. I am not a big coyote hunter but I still get out there once in awhile. I think it's good ammo so far with around MOA or less out of my ugly little model 11 savage. The only question I have is are you using the package rifle scope? Maybe it's time to upgrade the glass if it's not you getting coyote fever.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:55 PM

Lol yah your prolly right.
I was on bi pod and usually very stable on it for the most part.
Yes it's the package rifle scope. Weaver 3x9
Was questioning it as well. I had a very tough time grouping it in at the beginning of the day. But last two shots were bang on the bullseye.
Maybe time to through the Vortex on it
Old 01-14-2017, 08:33 PM

Oh boy. You are very likely to be roasted bad on this forum after those last two posts.
I highly doubt after reading what you've wrote that the weaver scope is your issue.
But hey I got a Vortex for sale if your still looking!
Old 01-14-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
Oh boy. You are very likely to be roasted bad on this forum after those last two posts.
I highly doubt after reading what you've wrote that the weaver scope is your issue.
But hey I got a Vortex for sale if your still looking!
I have a vortex already thanks.
Shot a buck this past season with my 7mm R.E.M. Mag with it on
At 200 yards free standing. Doubt it is me specially on the bipod.
Just curious if the HSM ammo was any good. It was the hornady v-max 40gr reload. $40 for 50 rounds. My groupings this morning really had me pondering it was using same bipod. And shooting gofers at 150+ yards this past summer with hollow points.
Roast away all u like. I could care less. This isn't a ****ing contest I'm just asking a question
Old 01-14-2017, 09:28 PM

sadly as much as we like to blame the ammo, scope, gun, wind, sun in our eyes etc etc now and then we have to accept the fact that we missed. you say you had a hard time grouping at the beginning of the day how bad were the groups? anything under 3 inches should be good at 75 yards on a coyote sized target. if you are still thinking its the ammo get a good solid rest and shoot some 5 shot groups with it (dont worry about hitting the bullseye that can be adjusted later with the scope). if the groups are large and all over then the ammo is not right for your rifle and if they are consistent and small... you missed.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 01-14-2017, 09:59 PM

Everyone misses, if your were hitting the bullseye when sighting in then it is not the ammo at 70 yds on a yote. Don't touch anything on the gun and scope and go shoot a 3 or 5 shot group off a solid rest at 100 yds. You'll know real quick where the problem is.

Last edited by waterhaulerhunter; 01-14-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:13 PM

]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
sadly as much as we like to blame the ammo, scope, gun, wind, sun in our eyes etc etc now and then we have to accept the fact that we missed. you say you had a hard time grouping at the beginning of the day how bad were the groups? anything under 3 inches should be good at 75 yards on a coyote sized target. if you are still thinking its the ammo get a good solid rest and shoot some 5 shot groups with it (dont worry about hitting the bullseye that can be adjusted later with the scope). if the groups are large and all over then the ammo is not right for your rifle and if they are consistent and small... you missed.
IMG_1804.jpg
Yeah I missed but im not convinced that it was not the Ammo. There a few shots here that didn't hit the target at all. I would adjust for closer to center. Think I had it dialed in and then one wouldn't even make paper. Guess you had to be there to see for yourself. I've heard stories of some loads not being best for some rifles? Would you agree or disagree with this? What is your go to .223 round for coyotes if you shoot this calibre for them?
Old 01-14-2017, 11:11 PM

I'd check and make sure the bases are tight on the rifle.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:01 AM
Banned

With HSM, I can almost guarantee it's NOT the ammo...

They make high quality ammo, for sure.

Based on the picture, I'd look at that Weaver or the mount/rings.

Last edited by J0HN_R1; 01-15-2017 at 01:09 AM.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
With HSM, I can almost guarantee it's NOT the ammo...

They make high quality ammo, for sure.

Based on the picture, I'd look at that Weaver or the mount/rings.

HSM is like any other ammunition, if your rifle likes it, fine, if not, your rifle may shoot the cheapest ammunition more accurately. I have seen multiple instances where HSM loads would do no better than 2 to 3moa, while cheap Federal or Remington loads shot moa or better in the same rifle.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stally77 View Post
]

Attachment 129756
Yeah I missed but im not convinced that it was not the Ammo. There a few shots here that didn't hit the target at all. I would adjust for closer to center. Think I had it dialed in and then one wouldn't even make paper. Guess you had to be there to see for yourself. I've heard stories of some loads not being best for some rifles? Would you agree or disagree with this? What is your go to .223 round for coyotes if you shoot this calibre for them?
First off i would shoot a group or 2 with the gopher loads you mentioned earlier and see how it groups. If it sucks start really looking at that scope setup. I would agree i have seen ammo that wont shoot in a particular rifle though not often bad enough to miss the target all together. I reload all my ammo but before i did i found the hornady factory stuff to do quite well in my 223 with factory noslers a close second.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 01-15-2017, 10:24 AM

I know my savage has a 1-8 twist barrel, if yours is the same then it will more than likely shoot the heavier grain bullets better. The first coyote I ever called in I was using a 243 with 70 grain ballistic tips. I shot over its back while I got excited about actually calling one in lol. People miss shots and if you haven't yet then you will. I replaced my factory mounts with some tally's and I had a z3 on it but put that on another gun. It will be time to buy a scope for this gun soon.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:37 AM

This is exactly why we get into hand loading. Develope an accurate load, shoot it LOTS, and become confident in it. It will perform how you've come to expect, and won't leave you wondering what happened if you miss.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:59 PM

Thanks for the feedback.
Took a couple shots this morning to find it 4" high and left roughly.
Tightened up mounting screws and got it back to centre. My son brought his as well it's identical. He was shooting 2" moa with same ammo. My group was about the same. It sure gets you second guessing when you miss! I guess I will see how I do on the next one.

Fun part of today was we got the old sks grouped into 4" moa at 50 yards with the red dot site. Will be fun taking a few yotes with that if we can hit them.
Cheers