Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-29-2016, 10:21 AM

Default Laser training systems

Researching my next handgun purchase and I stumbled across a couple of companies that sell laser training kits. Laserlyte seems to be available from Amazon.ca, I'm not sure about the availability of Lasera Ammo.
Has anyone tried these? Are they effective and worthwhile or is the money better spent on ammo or new guns? The idea of being able to practise my form and shooting at home is mighty tempting...
Old 10-30-2016, 11:01 AM

Have considered but not spent the cash. Would be a good tool to keep you honest in your dryfire practice. There are many good books on proper dryfire practice for competition. Saul Kirsch, Ben Stoeger, Brian Enos and many more.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:51 AM

The ones I was looking at was an actual cartridge. When the firing pin strikes the primer it shoots a laser out so you can see where your impact would have been on the target. Or you can just learn to read your sights in dryfire. Then hit the range to confirm you can do whatever drill in the same time with good hits on paper.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:36 PM

That's what I'm looking at too, the laser is a cartridge and there's a target that captures your hit as well. Looks pretty interesting, but it ain't cheap
Old 10-31-2016, 08:51 AM

Check out Mantis training systems. They only work if your pistol has a rail. A little pricey but could be a cost savings when you factor in the price of ammo.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:49 AM

Try an Air-soft replica? Very good for developing good form and working on fast target acquisition.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:06 PM

Default Rika

RIKA trainer is great for those things. They don't make it any more, but used ones are still around.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritterCommander View Post
Try an Air-soft replica? Very good for developing good form and working on fast target acquisition.
I suggested that once upon a time on a 'Murican shooting forum and was scoffed at and ridiculed....they obviously don't understand the BS and restrictions involved in owning a handgun in Canuckistan.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:19 PM

Laser Ammo is a great thing - very versatile, can be used inside the real gun (as a cartridge) or in a separately sold "spider" mount that attaches to any standard bottom rail of any real gun, or pellet/bb replica or even airsoft replica (as long as its "shot") shakes the gun sufficiently for the internal mike to register the acoustic event. Very easy to move from one "vessel" to another as well.

Looks like some logic is embedded in the electronics, as the first few shots after mounting leave the laser in "on state", but just repeating the shots two-three times properly sets the sensitivity, and it is all yours after that.

Needless to say, with spider mount you can fire real ammo (airsoft or pellet, never tried live firearm ammo, so don't know if it withstands 9mm recoil shock).

Fully compatible with the free Shootoff software for PC (that needs webcam to register shots and can use an optional wall projector to show you interactive targets. Lots of fun with virtual "duelling trees" and other metal targets in realistic settings with realistic sounds!

Battery life is great, if you pull it out between the training sessions (or every few days, if your sessions are too frequent for that). And batteries are cheap! All available on amazon (or was available a couple of years ago).