Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-30-2015, 12:06 PM

Default Three Point Creek

Can anyone tell me why the parking area at Three Point Creek near Millerville has the gate closed? Is this a local thing? Hate parking on a road in case my truck gets hit. I believe the creek is open to fishing but since I am new to Calgary, I may not understand all local fishing areas.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:04 PM

All the messes left at the informal gun ranges by the shooters resulted in the gates being put up.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:26 PM

So is this a perma closure?
Old 06-30-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougC View Post
All the messes left at the informal gun ranges by the shooters resulted in the gates being put up.

No. No one shoots there. You are confusing this with another area.

I as there Sunday. There is indeed agate blocking car access. However, there are pedestrian openings on each side of the gate. Purpose-built gaps in the fence, so I took it that you could still walk in. No signage saying you couldn't, private property, etc.

What infuriated me inside as a barbed wire fence that went right down to and ACROSS the creek! Some landowner saying "This river is mine". You would decapitate yourself if you tried to canoe down the creek, Shocking. Just figuring out who to report this to.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:09 PM

I saw the barb wire there last year. I assume this is for winter sledders to keep them out and they have the orange tape on the wire. I just didn't know if the gate would be open by Fish and Wildlife or if some local did this. Hopefully it opens soon. Maybe I will see you there.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:39 PM

This has got to be illegal, no?????
Old 06-30-2015, 03:02 PM

Cattle crossing?
Old 06-30-2015, 03:47 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
This has got to be illegal, no?????

I have come across the same thing several times on other creeks and wondered exactly the same thing. Is it legal? And if not, who do you report it to? You'd think that whomever put up the fence would at least have the decency to use non-barbed wire across the creek. So infuriating! Creeks are public!
Old 06-30-2015, 04:07 PM

Just imagine if ya skidood down that creek and didnt happen to notice the flagging yike ...no way that legal
Old 06-30-2015, 11:29 PM

Yes I was wrong, I was thinking of the area upstream by the equestrian campground. I'd just climb over/through the one in the photos. As long as you stay within the high water mark you're not trespassing.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscosta View Post
Just imagine if ya skidood down that creek and didnt happen to notice the flagging yike ...no way that legal
Hmmm... yes, that could really hurt.
But why skidoo down a small creek?
I personally would be concerned with the impact I would cause to the wintering fish. This couldn't be good for them.....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-01-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Hmmm... yes, that could really hurt.
But why skidoo down a small creek?
I personally would be concerned with the impact I would cause to the wintering fish. This couldn't be good for them.....
I think the fish can swim under the fence.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:27 AM

I don't mind fences on creeks. You can normally easily navigate around them with little to no sense, and if you can't see a fence on the creek paddling towards it, you need to set the beer down. Lets get real guys.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:54 AM

I fished Threepoint twice last September, nothing landed but I did get a bite on a wooly bugger. I plan to go out there soon. Can you still park around the bridge somewhere and walk in?

Interesting about the gate, haven't been there this year yet.

For that barbed wire fence yeah I totally agree that is a hazard and may be illegal. Is that a recent install? Last year was my first time there and the fence was there too at the time. Consider reporting it to Transport Canada with your photos. Under the Navigation Protection Act, the common law right to navigate waterways is still in place for the public. I'm not sure if they would do anything about it especailly if that fence has been there a while and it is not likely a high traffic creek for boaters/sledders. Plus all federal departments all pretty short staffed due to the harper government. If you know anyone who boats or sleds on it our something that can help.

contact info:
Regional Manager
Navigation Protection Program
Transport Canada
Canada Place
1100-9700 Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, AB
T5J 4E6

Phone: 780-495-8215
Fax: 780-495-8607
Email: NPPPNR-PPNRPN@tc.gc.ca
Old 07-02-2015, 10:57 AM

The first time I ever noticed that gate across the road was last week. I had only driven up that section of road twice in the past but noticed the gate and wondered why it was closed.

Is it not an older gate? I am not sure it is new but again I did not look closely at it. I assumed it was to contain the cattle but hadn't looked into it further as I had no need to go down the road.

After the flooding the creek's best pools are a little blown out but there are still fish there although it sees a fair bit of pressure.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:30 AM

I noticed the gate late year when I fishied in the fall. I was by in early June and noticed that it was closed, but I assumed it was because the creek didn't open until 16 June according to regulations. Now that I saw it last weekend, I am unsure why it's still closed. Might head there tonight and see if there is any signage. There is a sign down by the water stating fishing regs ( what is allowed and not allowed for catches). Will post later tonight.

Whitefishlady

I parked on the southbound side just past the bridge.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:06 PM

Got this one last night at the bridge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11141260_936041136453828_8393434740958898451_n.jpg (35.9 KB, 338 views)
Old 07-04-2015, 11:16 PM

Nice fish you got there. I have been fishing three point at least a couple times each year for 5 years now and my biggest catch was a 15" rainbow... So I guess congrats lol. I do catch many every time I go but they are usually small like in the 10" to 12" average!
Old 07-05-2015, 09:11 AM

Three Point produces some larger fish occasionally. These fish are usually rainbow spawners from the Bow that haven't gone home yet. I've caught several over 20".
The trout in Three Point smolt at 2 years of age and head for the Bow on the high water of spring.
The Sheep & Highwood generally sees the same fish activity.

Don
Old 07-06-2015, 09:51 AM

Thanks for the info Don. I was out driving around on the weekend and saw some parking areas around Black Diamond to fish the Sheep. Will try that soon.
Old 07-06-2015, 02:48 PM

Great Info guys! Anything other then rainbows in there?
Old 07-06-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitefishLady View Post
Great Info guys! Anything other then rainbows in there?
whitefish! I've also heard of browns, but not from a reliable source

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 07-07-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
whitefish! I've also heard of browns, but not from a reliable source
Ive never caught a brown in that system, in all the time i've fished the sheep even.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:47 PM

Good ole' threepoint... my family's farm is very close to that bridge crossing.. The fence is there to keep cows from escaping through the shallow water, not sure if its legal or not but I know this isn't the only fence strung across threepoint and other creeks in the area... I'm pretty sure this was the first creek I ever fished back when I was a smolt myself
Old 07-09-2015, 06:14 PM

Default Three Point Hekp

Well I went to Three Point today and there is actually three locations that have the above barbed wire set up. The are pretty loose and easy to get through. This was my first time fishing TPC and did okay a couple 10-12" rainbows. I do have a question about this area maybe someone can answer.

I came across a beaver dead in a trap - he seemed pretty fresh. Does the ministry trap beavers in the area? This was a wooded and barbed wire trap looked really home made and deadly. There was some quad tracks right to the trap.

I am pretty new to fly fishing in Alberta should I call someone regarding this?
Old 07-09-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
No. No one shoots there. You are confusing this with another area.

I as there Sunday. There is indeed agate blocking car access. However, there are pedestrian openings on each side of the gate. Purpose-built gaps in the fence, so I took it that you could still walk in. No signage saying you couldn't, private property, etc.

What infuriated me inside as a barbed wire fence that went right down to and ACROSS the creek! Some landowner saying "This river is mine". You would decapitate yourself if you tried to canoe down the creek, Shocking. Just figuring out who to report this to.
Are you serious man? That creek is in the heart of cattle country, the fence is to keep the cows on the guys property-you know that the creek runs right through the middle of. You city slickers are something else maybe you should just stick to rivers inside the city limits so your fishing isnt encroached upon by people that have made their living on that land for a hundred years...
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 07-10-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
Are you serious man? That creek is in the heart of cattle country, the fence is to keep the cows on the guys property-you know that the creek runs right through the middle of. You city slickers are something else maybe you should just stick to rivers inside the city limits so your fishing isnt encroached upon by people that have made their living on that land for a hundred years...
X2!! Well said
Old 07-10-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby4545 View Post
Well I went to Three Point today and there is actually three locations that have the above barbed wire set up. The are pretty loose and easy to get through. This was my first time fishing TPC and did okay a couple 10-12" rainbows. I do have a question about this area maybe someone can answer.

I came across a beaver dead in a trap - he seemed pretty fresh. Does the ministry trap beavers in the area? This was a wooded and barbed wire trap looked really home made and deadly. There was some quad tracks right to the trap.

I am pretty new to fly fishing in Alberta should I call someone regarding this?
Yeah you can probably call the local fish and wildlife office (just google it not sure which office is closest for Millerville area). Really do not know much about trapping at all nor I'm I against it however they need some sort of permit I imagine and I think there are probably gear requirements. If you post in the trapping forum they would know more.

What you are describing with the homemade rig just seems a little shady to me but maybe it is allowed I have no idea. Best to provide photos and location and as much descirption as possible if you are reporting it.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:14 PM
Banned

Certainly out of season for fur harvesting but likely either an ADC trapper working under a nuisance permit,or,given the homemade contraption description,likely the landowner who likely has carte Blanche permission to destroy nuisance beavers any way he sees fit?
Old 07-10-2015, 09:09 PM

Hey, thanks for the replies. I did call the Fish and Wildlife Office and just got a call from an officer. He found the trap and spoke to the adjacent home owner who happens to be a licensed trapper. He was having problems with the beaver on his property. He has moved the beaver; which will be used for Wolf bait.

On a more important note: When I was there I did notice some bear tracks - some pretty large ones and some baby ones. The Officer said that this is not a natural location for a bear. So if you are in the area be sure to have some spray with you.