Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-19-2015, 02:19 PM

Default Bow River Help

I have been fly fishing for a couple years now and have access to a private spot near Carsland with nice pools etc. I fish around Calgary within the city where many others go. My problem is I never catch anything. I hired a guy last year to teach me how to nymph and to critique my technique and it still hasn't made a difference. I've talked to some that said the Bow isn't exactly an easy river to catch fish, while others disagree. It's tough, because I go by myself and am often wondering if i'm doing something wrong, using the wrong flyes, fishing the wrong places etc etc. I just don't get it. What should I do? Do I spend money on a guide for a day and basically get tips from him? Is there any other river or creek in the area that you would suggest I go where the fishing is a bit easier? Someone said Lumbrick Falls. I just enjoy fly fishing, and am one step closer to giving up and going back to spin casting only. Any advice or thoughts is appreciated.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:32 PM

One of the secrets to nymphing the Bow is to be able to mend your line properly and make sure your fly is bouncing right along the bottom, drag free. My success rate went up a lot after I hired a guide a number of years ago, well worth the money in my opinion. How is your line mending?

It's a tough time to fish the Bow right now because of run-off, but if you wait until early July when the water level starts to come back down, you'll probably have more success. If you decide to go fshing in the next few weeks, fish close to the bank, the fish will be holding tight to the bank to escape the strong current.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:58 PM

My mending could be better, but I'll try to be more aware of doing it properly. I don't nymph too much because it tests my patience as my hook gets caught up on something along the bottom. I prefer streamers or dry flies. I often wonder when it's time to move on along the shore or when I should try another fly. What's your rule of thumb (every 50 casts and then switch?)? These are the things I wonder while fishing. Obviously, my results or lack there of speak for themselves....so I'm doing something wrong.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleYYC View Post
I have been fly fishing for a couple years now and have access to a private spot near Carsland with nice pools etc. I fish around Calgary within the city where many others go. My problem is I never catch anything. I hired a guy last year to teach me how to nymph and to critique my technique and it still hasn't made a difference. I've talked to some that said the Bow isn't exactly an easy river to catch fish, while others disagree. It's tough, because I go by myself and am often wondering if i'm doing something wrong, using the wrong flyes, fishing the wrong places etc etc. I just don't get it. What should I do? Do I spend money on a guide for a day and basically get tips from him? Is there any other river or creek in the area that you would suggest I go where the fishing is a bit easier? Someone said Lumbrick Falls. I just enjoy fly fishing, and am one step closer to giving up and going back to spin casting only. Any advice or thoughts is appreciated.
The Bow is not an easy river to learn.

My instinct is you are not methodically covering enough water or fishing the right water. In 3 hours of fishing, I will cover at least 1km of river bank. In 8 hours of fishing, I will cover at least 5km of river.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:40 PM

Dynamite is about your best option or patience and mending the way I have been fishing it lately im going with the dynamite.Also lately they have been hitting pretty sutle so I have been setting the hook on any Inconsistancys.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:51 PM

Don't give up. Choose a different river to learn on. I had to teach myself to flyfishing as well it took a year before I caught a fish and probably my third year until I was consistently catching fish. People that have friends that teach them learn a lot quicker. My suggestion is take only a few flies. Stimulator, caddis, mosquitoes, bead head hares ear nymph. When I figured out those flies I started catching fish like crazy. Try the highwood river and willow creek. They are 2 of my favourites and always produce well. I have been flyfishing for about 9 years now and still have never caught a fish on the fly in the bow. Everything I have ever read or heard to try on the bow I have tried. So unless you specialize on that river I'm gonna say it's a tough stream. Choose any mountain stream or small creek in the foothills. Even fish creek I've caught piles of fish. Just don't start on the bow. Sorry to all you bow lovers but this is going by my experience which sounds very similar to yours
Old 06-19-2015, 09:53 PM

Also not saying this will solve everything but at least get you hooked enough you will flyfishing the rest of your life
Old 06-20-2015, 08:22 AM

Smile Nyphing

When you know how to do it, and recognize a strike it is very effective. Not for a learner IMO.

Try some of the smaller foothills streams, Fallen timer, Burnt Timer, Catarct creek, and learn on those.

I'd switch to dry flies. Try a elk hair caddis in various sizes, and it there are grasshoppers, an elk hair hopper.

I recommend elk hair because they don't ever sink.

Wade very carefully, the water is clear and the fish can see you.

Make short casts and watch how your fly behaves. There should be no drag from the line. You can avoid drag by casting up stream and throwing a bit more line than necessary to hit your target (it lands on the water in a serpentine fashion)

Look for rising trout, you should be able to see then. You can sit near a likely looking pool eat your lunch and watch!

Cast above and beside the rising fish, no line over the fish.

Presentation is everything, just keep at it. Learn every day.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:01 PM

Learning on small streams is good advice. When you return to the Bow you should be able to look at it like a small stream. Ignore 95% of the water and focus on the stream within....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 06-20-2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Learning on small streams is good advice. When you return to the Bow you should be able to look at it like a small stream. Ignore 95% of the water and focus on the stream within....
Good advice...I myself have found the Bow a hard place to fish since the flood, since I'm usually a walk and wade guy. The river has changed and is a whole new learning curve. I like the small streams as mentioned above. Hit the pools, work on you're technique and go from there. Talk too more experienced fishermen while you're fishing as well...A short BS session is always good and most guys are willing to throw some tips your way.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:02 PM

Thanks so much for the advice. I'm learning lots here from all of you.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:24 PM

it sounds like to me you need to learn to cast, you also need to learn the hatches. a drag free drift on both dry flies and nymphs is essential. if you are having problems there are schools available through most fly shops. fly selection depending on the hatch will improve your performance 10 fold. (using a stimulator when caddis are coming off is not matching the hatch) get out on the water and see what is hatching and what the fish are keying in on what color,size,species, and get flies of each size... could be a green drake say and you might see lots of size 12 but the fish are taking a 14 or 16 so the 12 will not work even though it is the right pattern.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:07 PM

I would guess that 85% or more of the fish caught on the bow are caught on nymphs.

As for fishing dries, if you don't see fish rising, casting a dry is almost a complete waste of time IMO, at least for rainbows and browns, and definitely on the Bow; mountain stream cutthroat trout are another story.

While streamers can be very effective, there is a time and place for there use; coloured water, along cut banks, when it is (getting) dark. A Bright sunny day at noon in gin clear water is not the time for a 6" double bunny.

Learn to nymph. If you aren't getting hung up at least 3/10 drifts, you are not close enough to bottom.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
I would guess that 85% or more of the fish caught on the bow are caught on nymphs.

As for fishing dries, if you don't see fish rising, casting a dry is almost a complete waste of time IMO, at least for rainbows and browns, and definitely on the Bow; mountain stream cutthroat trout are another story.

While streamers can be very effective, there is a time and place for there use; coloured water, along cut banks, when it is (getting) dark. A Bright sunny day at noon in gin clear water is not the time for a 6" double bunny.

Learn to nymph. If you aren't getting hung up at least 3/10 drifts, you are not close enough to bottom.

Yes that is correct match the hatch...
Old 06-22-2015, 09:28 AM

I feel your pain Kyle! I myself have been trying to learn the Bow for about 3 years now. I have been out with experienced fisherman, shared tips along the river, and researched HARD, but still I am not having much success. I started fly fishing seriously about 15 years ago, but I learned to fly fish on lakes from a boat, so learning on the Bow is a whole new ball game! The Bow is not easy, this coming from a guy who has been chucking flies for a long ass time!

I have had some mild success over the past three years, and even nailed a 25 inch brown last (what a rush). But so far this year I haven't caught a thing!!! I have been out about 9-10 times, in areas that have produced before, using the EXACT same setup and NOTHING.

I was out yesterday for about 3 hours and was really frustrated. So I would be curious to know what some others think about the fishing this year. Would you guys rate it as average? Below average? For me I was getting to the point where I would usually catch at least one when I went, but this year it just seems really quiet. I have been fishing around others and haven't noticed them having much success either!
Old 06-22-2015, 10:17 AM

There has been more hatches and bugs this year than the last 15 years. The river is low and a fair bit of pressure. These fish see a lot of flies so sit and watch what there actually feeding on and not what is flying around. They are very spooky and very well educated. If you figure you are matching the hatch then you are getting micro drag on your drifts on just not putting the flies in the face. The bow can be extremely frustrating on the best of days. Good luck and be patient. Don't get excited and start blind casting at anything slow down and have a sit. Target individual fish you will have more luck that way then just winging it wherever. Again be patient and match the hatch
Old 06-22-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damienelliott View Post
There has been more hatches and bugs this year than the last 15 years. The river is low and a fair bit of pressure. These fish see a lot of flies so sit and watch what there actually feeding on and not what is flying around. They are very spooky and very well educated. If you figure you are matching the hatch then you are getting micro drag on your drifts on just not putting the flies in the face. The bow can be extremely frustrating on the best of days. Good luck and be patient. Don't get excited and start blind casting at anything slow down and have a sit. Target individual fish you will have more luck that way then just winging it wherever. Again be patient and match the hatch
I always hear people say "match the hatch".....does anyone have some examples of which flies match which hatch? To me it does not seem all that easy to understand. What if you are in a situation where they are not rising? Is there a way to match a hatch while nymphing?

Also, you say to target specific fish, I understand if you see them coming up to feed on the surface that you can seem them, but how do you track them when they aren't coming up? Seems extremely hard. If you do see one come up, will it stay in the exact same location? Or just in the general area?

So many factors!
Old 06-22-2015, 01:34 PM

YYC don't get frustrated when I started fly fishing several years ago it was 2yrs and 3 months before I caught a fish on a nymph on the bow. Jim was still at country pleasures then and gave me the same advice that several have given in the previous posts. Start on a smaller body of water learn to read the water, learn how to mend on that water and how your line acts, watch the indicator strike often and as one poster said it will come. Then with the knowledge learned go back to the bow with all of the info learned and try and try and try and try until you feel the line go and stay tight and it will be the satisfying fish you have caught. Be patient it will come.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:40 PM

Sent you a msg Dr.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:41 PM

Default Willow Creek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
Don't give up. Choose a different river to learn on. I had to teach myself to flyfishing as well it took a year before I caught a fish and probably my third year until I was consistently catching fish. People that have friends that teach them learn a lot quicker. My suggestion is take only a few flies. Stimulator, caddis, mosquitoes, bead head hares ear nymph. When I figured out those flies I started catching fish like crazy. Try the highwood river and willow creek. They are 2 of my favourites and always produce well. I have been flyfishing for about 9 years now and still have never caught a fish on the fly in the bow. Everything I have ever read or heard to try on the bow I have tried. So unless you specialize on that river I'm gonna say it's a tough stream. Choose any mountain stream or small creek in the foothills. Even fish creek I've caught piles of fish. Just don't start on the bow. Sorry to all you bow lovers but this is going by my experience which sounds very similar to yours
I'm going to try Willow Creek. Can you tell me where I should go on Willow Creek? Any spots you recommend?
Old 07-14-2015, 10:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shortington View Post
I always hear people say "match the hatch".....does anyone have some examples of which flies match which hatch? To me it does not seem all that easy to understand. What if you are in a situation where they are not rising? Is there a way to match a hatch while nymphing?

Also, you say to target specific fish, I understand if you see them coming up to feed on the surface that you can seem them, but how do you track them when they aren't coming up? Seems extremely hard. If you do see one come up, will it stay in the exact same location? Or just in the general area?

So many factors!
Start reading some books on entomology, or at least get a hatch chart for your desired stream and start watching YouTube. Learn about what bugs tend to hatch around what times of year and which times of day. Learn the life cycles of those bugs and what exposes them to trout. Once you know the bugs, you will recognize which flies may represent what's active on the water. If you don't see anything you need to make an educated guess based on what you know should be hatching that time of year. If you see it you match it... Sometimes it's not a match game, it's an attraction game. That tends to be what a lot of nymphing is.
But it Still gets more complex than that. Just wait til you get some picky fish on pmds/peds haha. Then is it the nymph? The emerger? The cripple? The dry? What size? Is the drift perfect? It's what makes fly fishing fun!...or at least once you start figuring things out and catching a fish or two. It is tough when you don't have a clue about what's going on with the hatches and they take everything BUT your fly.
But at the end of the day, it's more likely a poor presentation or not finding the right holding water.

Keep at it! It'll come.
Bron
Old 07-15-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shortington View Post
I feel your pain Kyle! I myself have been trying to learn the Bow for about 3 years now. I have been out with experienced fisherman, shared tips along the river, and researched HARD, but still I am not having much success. I started fly fishing seriously about 15 years ago, but I learned to fly fish on lakes from a boat, so learning on the Bow is a whole new ball game! The Bow is not easy, this coming from a guy who has been chucking flies for a long ass time!

I have had some mild success over the past three years, and even nailed a 25 inch brown last (what a rush). But so far this year I haven't caught a thing!!! I have been out about 9-10 times, in areas that have produced before, using the EXACT same setup and NOTHING.

I was out yesterday for about 3 hours and was really frustrated. So I would be curious to know what some others think about the fishing this year. Would you guys rate it as average? Below average? For me I was getting to the point where I would usually catch at least one when I went, but this year it just seems really quiet. I have been fishing around others and haven't noticed them having much success either!
Buy Dave jensens video called Stripped Down; the Brown trout project. There is no better video to show you where trout will hold and how to fish to them
Old 07-15-2015, 09:49 AM

Buy stripped down, move like Dave, catch more fish. That video is an absolute wealth of information
Old 07-20-2015, 08:09 PM

Too many people think of the bow as one big river. Technically it is. The fish don't care about that though.

Think like a fish. Their entire existence is based on 1 thing. Calories gained vs calories burned. They will not hold in crazy fast water for long. It takes energy. Sure the river is channeling food in that current by the ton. They will move into it and chow down then get out. If they hold in that fast stuff they burn more energy than they consume and that makes for an anorexic fishy.

Instead look at what is in that fast food lane. If there is a rock there then there is essentially 5 different flows, or little rivers, of water to fish on each rock. The quicker water closest to the bank, the inside seam closest to the bank created by the riffle that slows up a little as it passes over the rock, the dead water that is calm right behind the rock, the outside seam on the river side of the rock, and the faster water of the main channel. This is repeated for every single piece of structure you see except for the banks or gravel bars. They have 3 usually. The slack water, the edge where it slows and the main river.

Think like the fish. Is it easier for them to actively face that fast current and burn calories every second like crazy and chase nymphs that float by at a high rate of speed? Or is it easier to sit right beside that fast water in the seams and stick their nose into that fast water when they see things go by and at the same time eat the bugs that fall out of that fast water into the slack water and seam because of the tiny eddies that are created?

Also stay out of the water. 90% of the fish in the Bow will live in the first 15-25 feet of the river. Think about where you see the most structure. Again think like a fish. Where is it easier for them to live? The banks provide shade in the heat, cover from Osprey's, Pelicans and Baldies seeing them and the banks also provide them with a pile of chow. The Caddis, Stoneflies and Hoppers all live in that tall grass along the banks. With the frequent winds here along the bow it is constantly blowing food into the water for them to eat.

I will take you out in a drift boat to try and show you some stuff. I am sure it will help. I am always looking for someone to go with. It'll cost you a whole 55$ to cover the shuttle. And you don't get to complain if I accidentally slide into a seam by accident. Lol
Old 07-20-2015, 08:17 PM

Its like something you gotta get the hang of. Once you get the hang of catching fish and knowing where they are in the river/stream you'll end up catching fish every time you go out. Its like a certain kind of magic you acquire ;P Bottom line is don't give up.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:17 PM

Very true. I doubt I've been skunked in 10 years on the Bow. I fished today for 10 minutes and whacked 2.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Very true. I doubt I've been skunked in 10 years on the Bow. I fished today for 10 minutes and whacked 2.
Even from shore?
Old 07-21-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzzzz View Post
Even from shore?
I need to preface this. I am not an expert. I don't want to come off as cocky or arrogant. I in no way mean this that way. A lot of the guys here are far better anglers than I am. I don't get a pile of time to fish so I studied very carefully where I consistently catch fish. I fish those water types only now. I don't look at the marginal water anymore.

Yes even from shore. Most of my fishing is from shore. I may not hammer fish by the bucket load sometimes, but I will get a few even if it is slow.

Today I took a drift boat rookie out. We were having lunch behind a seam and I got to thinking that that seam was just too fishy not to have a fish or two in it.

I got out of the boat and slipped and slid thru the slick crappy bottom in my Croc's and within 8-10 casts hooked into a little brown about 11". I moved over and out a little ways to hit the farther edge of that same seam and stuck a 17ish inch rainbow.

The fish are always there in that good water. There may not be hundreds feeding in front of you in the time you have allotted to fish but there will be fish. You need to go where they are. If there is fishy looking water in front of you that has the criteria they need, you will find them.

Too many guys spend hours upon hours throwing 50+ casts thru certain areas with 15 different flies instead of just concentrating on what water they fish. Go to the better water. Cover some ground. Get to the good stuff. Put a few good casts in those areas. If you do this at 2 great spots in a row and don't hook or move a fish, then change flies. By doing this you keep fishing instead of spending all day changing out tackle. If you hit 4 spots and still no fish, switch it up again and start over. Move thru those 4 spots with the new gear. By keeping to the good water you eliminate hours of fishing the marginal water with searching patterns hoping for a fish.

Please don't think I am an arrogant ass. I'm not trying to be holier than thou here. I am just passing on what I have learned from different guides on the river over the past 20ish float trips.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:06 AM

Great advice above. I do laps through good water. Changing flies/techniques after I fish through.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
I need to preface this. I am not an expert. I don't want to come off as cocky or arrogant. I in no way mean this that way. A lot of the guys here are far better anglers than I am. I don't get a pile of time to fish so I studied very carefully where I consistently catch fish. I fish those water types only now. I don't look at the marginal water anymore.

Yes even from shore. Most of my fishing is from shore. I may not hammer fish by the bucket load sometimes, but I will get a few even if it is slow.

Today I took a drift boat rookie out. We were having lunch behind a seam and I got to thinking that that seam was just too fishy not to have a fish or two in it.

I got out of the boat and slipped and slid thru the slick crappy bottom in my Croc's and within 8-10 casts hooked into a little brown about 11". I moved over and out a little ways to hit the farther edge of that same seam and stuck a 17ish inch rainbow.

The fish are always there in that good water. There may not be hundreds feeding in front of you in the time you have allotted to fish but there will be fish. You need to go where they are. If there is fishy looking water in front of you that has the criteria they need, you will find them.

Too many guys spend hours upon hours throwing 50+ casts thru certain areas with 15 different flies instead of just concentrating on what water they fish. Go to the better water. Cover some ground. Get to the good stuff. Put a few good casts in those areas. If you do this at 2 great spots in a row and don't hook or move a fish, then change flies. By doing this you keep fishing instead of spending all day changing out tackle. If you hit 4 spots and still no fish, switch it up again and start over. Move thru those 4 spots with the new gear. By keeping to the good water you eliminate hours of fishing the marginal water with searching patterns hoping for a fish.

Please don't think I am an arrogant ass. I'm not trying to be holier than thou here. I am just passing on what I have learned from different guides on the river over the past 20ish float trips.
Any chance you care to give me a inside tip as to what you were useing.im going out tonight and don't get out that much because I have a young one so insider tip would be awesome pm me if you would consider and great posts by the way I love your info it's nice your sharing some strategy and insite.