Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-21-2008, 09:09 AM

Default Trap Lines for Sale??

Hi all. I am currently looking to buy a trapline in the northern portion of the province. I would prefer to have one in the Athabasca or Boyle area but would consider other areas. Does anyone know if there is anything for sale? I would also like to get ahold of the Alberta trappers magazine. How and where can I subscribe?
Old 04-21-2008, 09:19 AM

http://www.albertatrappers.com/

This will take you to the Alberte trappers association site.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale 19 View Post
Hi all. I am currently looking to buy a trapline in the northern portion of the province. I would prefer to have one in the Athabasca or Boyle area but would consider other areas. Does anyone know if there is anything for sale? I would also like to get ahold of the Alberta trappers magazine. How and where can I subscribe?
Join the ATA and the magazine is free!
If you trap, you should belong anyway!
Old 04-21-2008, 11:19 AM

Default Memberships

I have heard licence costs are going to rise considerably. I hope they tag the membership cost to it so that every licenced trapper in Alberta belongs to the association. We need to get our membership numbers up as high as possible before we loose it all!
Old 04-21-2008, 04:25 PM

Bullgetter: Under the proposal for the DAO all licensed trappers in Alberta would have to be a member of the ATA. While fees would increase it is still a bargain by any measure. Come to the ATA convention in Grande Prairie on June 21-22 and find out what's going on. We're going to have a good time
Old 04-22-2008, 04:01 PM

Default Trapping future

I hear you Brian but is anyone else listening? I had a private message from someone who seems upset with the ATA. If we start fueding with ourselves we might as well call it quits. Last I checked the ATA directors are voted in and the motions are voted on. Why would a trapper that holds a line not join the ATA. The ATA is trying to work for the trappers. Without them the government and industry will walk all over us.
I can't make the conference but I will be in Westlok on Saturday and I hope to hear some good news.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale 19 View Post
(780) 799 9854
He has one for sale, but it is in the Ft. McMurray area, maybe too far North for you.
it is a good line however....
Cat
Old 04-24-2008, 08:09 PM

sorry guys don't mean to steal thread, but I had my trapper lic. in BC 25 years ago and would like to get back into it. only as a part time helper at first because still need to work. what would I do to get going again?(be retrainned) keepimg in mind respect for for full time guys and not tring to steel anyones livleyhood.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:46 PM
Banned

Hi there hdj, Firstly , I do believe that you will have to take the trapper course thru the ATA. You can give Westlock office a call and they can tell you when the next course is scheduled in your area. You can check with the local fish and game people, but I do not think you can challenge the test anymore. You should also PM- ZEPF- He lives in your area. I'm sure he can help you in other matters as well. Tell him I sent you.. Good luck
Old 04-28-2008, 05:26 PM

BullGetter it doesn't matter what you do someone will be upset. Everyone is entitled to an opinion but I would hope that at least it is an informed one. When I talk to folks who are opposed to the direction the ATA is heading it's usually because they want things to stay the same. Unfortunately what they don't recognize is that is not an option. Either we take control of the direction we're heading or government will do it for us. What many trappers do not realize is they would have probably lost their RFMA if not for ATA actions over the last few years. The government working committees recomended this course of action but our reps at the table demonstrated that this was not the best solution. Lets face it how many average Albertan's care about trapping or trappers. I'm encouraged by the present direction we're taking. If we get a DAO or similar model it shows that the government recognizes our value and is supportive of our existence.

Sorry you can't make the convention but appreciate your support.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:50 PM

I have to agree with Brian -- there were major changes coming regardless of what the trappers in general or the ATA thought of them. The ATA president and vice-pres had to FIGHT to get a seat at the table where the beaurocrats were deciding the fate of trapping in this province. Typical government. Three of the people at this table were not aware that there were trapping regulations, quotas, seasons, trap standards, etc -- and these are the people who would determine our destiny. SCARY!! The ATA has been very proactive and since that day have worked hard to become a partner in this process to determine where trapping will be in the "21st Century". There will still be some changes no doubt but it is imperitive that we, as trappers, determine to a large extent, our future. If we do not carry through with the DAO (or some similar structure) and leave this all up to government (who really don't give a hoot about us in the biggger picture) trapping as we know it, is over. We are "done like dinner." A very special tradition, part of our history, part of many of our customs and culture will be lost forever -- would be a sad day. Could be only a stroke of the pen away however. Attend the convention, get informed and look at the BIG picture -- make a difference.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:26 PM

Default trapline for salethinkin of selling my line

thinking of selling my trapline located in zone 4 3.5 twp ph evenings 780-727-2396
Old 08-08-2012, 06:16 PM

Where is it located