Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 06-15-2012, 10:17 AM

Default Recreation????

Public opinion does not change the fact that the Alberta Gov see's the Trapping Industrie as a commercial business.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim summit View Post
Public opinion does not change the fact that the Alberta Gov see's the Trapping Industrie as a commercial business.
Your right on that one.Just thinkin that by the sounds of it, something needs to be done. How do timber rights work? Do the logging companies buy the rights? Just Apply? Cuz thats a bussiness that harvests crown property. Just wondering....Maybe if they would just enforce the rules already in place....
Old 06-16-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim summit View Post
PUSH FOR CHANGE all albertans should have the right!
Old 06-16-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polar View Post
Trapping is not a right, that is all we need is every idiot who thinks he is a trapper out trying to trap,do wha teverybody else does BUY a trapline if you want to trap END of story.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:

20 $ resident trapping license after taking a test, every albertan already has the right.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
20 $ resident trapping license after taking a test, every albertan already has the right.
Kind of the same as getting a driver's license. You have the right to drive, now go acquire the car to drive.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerntrapper View Post
Kind of the same as getting a driver's license. You have the right to drive, now go acquire the car to drive.
Not really the same. You can drive your car on any public road, it's your right. But you sure don't have the right to trap any public land.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerntrapper View Post
You don't have a right to drive it is a privilege that can be taken away,rights can't be taken away
Old 06-16-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
Well put,, I like the way you think.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough doug View Post
where abouts is your line?
R.M.F.A ...... How could one possibly Manage this industry if it were a free for all???? The R.F.M.A's is the only real way to keep numbers in check!!!! Period!!!!
Go get on as a junior, and figure out why it is not a right!!!! A old veteran trapper will teach you why registered lines must remain here.
I know what , where and when to trap , and my line always produces , to me it's a business. If every Albertan were tromping around the bush nobody would know what was out there ,,,,,if anything after two or three years.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:19 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcleod valley View Post
r.m.f.a ...... How could one possibly manage this industry if it were a free for all???? The r.f.m.a's is the only real way to keep numbers in check!!!! Period!!!!
Go get on as a junior, and figure out why it is not a right!!!! A old veteran trapper will teach you why registered lines must remain here.
I know what , where and when to trap , and my line always produces , to me it's a business. If every albertan were tromping around the bush nobody would know what was out there ,,,,,if anything after two or three years.
exactly!!!!!

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 06-17-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod Valley View Post
R.M.F.A ...... How could one possibly Manage this industry if it were a free for all???? The R.F.M.A's is the only real way to keep numbers in check!!!! Period!!!!
I know what , where and when to trap , and my line always produces , to me it's a business. If every Albertan were tromping around the bush nobody would know what was out there ,,,,,if anything after two or three years.
lots of places have a free for all system and they seem to be working. The current system with traplines is not working to manage fur bearers any way just becuause you can do it, on your tiny little piece of alberta there are huge area s with no management happening at all.Srd has little to no knowledge of whats happening out there the majority of "trappers" aren t present, or trap 3 or 4 weekends a year. Thats not management. Give me a break!!!! If you had R.F.M.A. that had to be held to a standard then maybe you would have a ppoint! but till then your grasping for air on the idea! As far as managing an industry thats always been everyman for him self! happy fathers day
Old 06-17-2012, 10:15 AM

Would sub-leasing be an option ?
Not sure if this is already going on or not, or even if it is legal.
Those without a trapline pay the owner a fee for a season of trapping.
It would let the people who want to trap have a go at it, see if they can make a go of it. Maybe it would work for them, or maybe they would see that it's not all they thought it would be.
It would also let the trapline owner get some numbers to his fur count.
Heck, the Hoffmans did it in Alaska, and they look like trappers, ha.

TBark
Old 06-17-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
lots of places have a free for all system and they seem to be working. The current system with traplines is not working to manage fur bearers any way just becuause you can do it, on your tiny little piece of alberta there are huge area s with no management happening at all.Srd has little to no knowledge of whats happening out there the majority of "trappers" aren t present, or trap 3 or 4 weekends a year. Thats not management. Give me a break!!!! If you had R.F.M.A. that had to be held to a standard then maybe you would have a ppoint! but till then your grasping for air on the idea! As far as managing an industry thats always been everyman for him self! happy fathers day
No..... I think you are grasping because you want something ithout having to pay for it!!!!
You think you know something of the industry because you think you may know of a couple lines that are not being used and are assuming that it is like that in the entire province. And you clearly sit in front of your computer and believe too much crap in the internet.
Are you a licensed trapper??? Are you a member of the ATA???? have you ever gone to your local ATA meetings ???? Have you ever made an attempt to meet any of your local area trappers who are members and do attend their local chapter's meetings ???? I doubt it .
So until you put an honest attempt into seeking out what goes on in the trapping industry you should not post things that you clearly do not understand.
I'm not saying that there are not traplines out there that are not being used. But I am saying that you are not willing to put up the money or good old fashioned sweat it takes to acquire and keep one.
Its a matter of have and have not with you ,,,, so do some home work ,,,, find a line that is in your budget and stop whining on the internet.
I have a 3 township trapline , all the assets and a trail system that took one man decades to cut and maintain ,,,,, all his sweat and blood for under $5000.00 , simply because I proved to him I was worthy of keeping it up and maintaining what he started, along with showing him that I fully understand that the land , animals , and trapping industry must be respected in the highest regard!!!!
And as for lots of other areas with the free for all system , It did work at one time (sort of) but now a days there are to many people with attitudes like yours , and the gentlemen's rule is no longer followed and more and more those free for all states are thinking registered areas are the way to go.
If you truly wish to become more then an internet trapper you will find a way , don't give up ,, put in the time , hard work and sweat like I did and it will happen.
And if you are a father , then Happy Fathers Day to you to.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:13 AM

A free for all would up getting people shot. Picture the guy putting out 50 bear baits and someone else putting baits right beside them.
In the 80's I could of bought a very good line for $4500.00, wages at the time were about $8.00/hr. At my figuring a good trapline now should be $15000.00-$25000.00. When a line is for sale for $80000.00 I can't see a trapper being the one buying it.
I'm not blaming any trapper for getting as much as possible on a sale, but if rules were inforced and lines were taken away because of lack of use. The price would be more realistic for a actual trapper to buy.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
Would sub-leasing be an option ?
Not sure if this is already going on or not, or even if it is legal.
Those without a trapline pay the owner a fee for a season of trapping.
It would let the people who want to trap have a go at it, see if they can make a go of it. Maybe it would work for them, or maybe they would see that it's not all they thought it would be.
It would also let the trapline owner get some numbers to his fur count.
Heck, the Hoffmans did it in Alaska, and they look like trappers, ha.

TBark
Most trappers who are getting up in age or just can't get out anymore sign on a Jr. Partner , its a good system and it works.
If the jr. partner is willing to work hard then good things will happen eventually , most now a days that is the way the senior partner relinquishes his line and the Jr. doesn't need to take out a second mortgage to pay for it.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Taylor View Post
A free for all would up getting people shot. Picture the guy putting out 50 bear baits and someone else putting baits right beside them.
In the 80's I could of bought a very good line for $4500.00, wages at the time were about $8.00/hr. At my figuring a good trapline now should be $15000.00-$25000.00. When a line is for sale for $80000.00 I can't see a trapper being the one buying it.
I'm not blaming any trapper for getting as much as possible on a sale, but if rules were inforced and lines were taken away because of lack of use. The price would be more realistic for a actual trapper to buy.
I agree totally!!! 100%
Old 07-04-2012, 04:44 PM

Default You can make money trapping

The $882 avg per trapper is a little misleading I think. I read somewhere that something like less then 10% of trappers produce 90% of the fur. You can treat this game like a business, work hard and make some good money doing something that has freedom and challenge like nothing else. I produced over 20k this past winter - trapping a line PLUS working some resident trapping over large areas. Concentrated trapping over a few weeks can produce some serious fur if you have these things: Good land base (trapline and/or permissions), Enough equipment, no aversion to hard work, and simple repeatable sets .... then run them from before the sun comes up until it goes down. Not easy, but certainly possible. And yes I work too like everyone else... most of the year!

I trapped fulltime in the glory years of the 80's as a younger man. Even with good fur prices it was never easy money. It can be done now as well... you CAN make money trapping. Best advice is for trappers not to turn there nose up at the oppurtunity to trap private land. There is a lot of money to be made off Muskrats, Coyotes etc.

Yes, our trapline system is flawed - big time. Every trapline senior holder needs to be accountable. Producing fur can not be optional... if you dont have time or interest get a junior partner. I for one, really wanted the DOA to go through and put some relevance and accountability back into the industry. The trapline I work in the foothills produces good numbers every winter... but SO DOES THE FARM COUNTRY.

The picture below is early Jan, just before 1st Nafa Sale. Total catch for 2011/12: 1407 Muskrat, 20 Beaver, 97 Coyote, 15 Fox, 36 Marten, 2 Fisher, 13 Lynx, 8 Ermine, 1 Badger

I also know 2 other trappers that each exceeded 200 coyotes this year plus other fur. We are out there (real trappers)

Thats all..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_8312.jpg (119.5 KB, 37 views)
Old 07-05-2012, 08:29 PM

Good post Gary.