Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-21-2012, 04:55 PM

Default snare cable

Has any one use galvanized 1/16 cable for snaring it has a 500 breaking strength.
I was wandering if it will work on coyotes all I have used is stainless steel
Old 05-21-2012, 08:21 PM
Gone Hunting

I wouldn't trust 1/16 on a Coyote. Not strong enough in my experience.

I have always used 3/32 or larger and even then I've had a few broken snares.

Also, I use only galvanized, It's cheaper then stainless, takes dying much better and last more then long enough for me.

I almost never reuse a snare, they get too many kinks in them, even on beaver, underwater.
Coyotes can really mess up a snare.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:08 PM

I snared lots of yotes this winter with 5/64" and 1/16". Anchor point up high with lots of entanglement around.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Administrator

I'm with Keg on this one. While I'm sure that 1/16 could work kept short, your chance of a chew out or break out goes up considerably and 1/16 isn't recommended for coyotes. I've seen what they can do to 3/32, so personally, I'd shy away from 1/16. But, if you're having success...
Old 05-23-2012, 09:33 AM
AO Sponsor

1/16" for coyotes is fine, but it better be with a Stinger and ideally Stinger + Powersnare trigger or as these other guys state, your loss will be unacceptable. Do not use 1/16" without. And then when using the stuff, you have to be using high quality 1/16" cable, or you will still lose coyotes.

Bad cable = loss
Old 05-23-2012, 10:44 AM

Thanks for chiming in on this one Marty. I have had good luck with 1/16 and your original stinger locks. I haven't tried the new one as I haven't snared in the last 2 seasons.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:10 PM

I have always used 3/32 cable for wovles and coyotes.
Found the smaller 3/32 worked better on wovles than the 1/8 cable.The smaller cable seems to be more restictive and killed faster.

The question is how small can you go with your cable and not lose coyotes. Would like to see how these stingers work.

just my 2 cents and interest
Old 05-24-2012, 02:27 PM

Hopefully Marty will respond as he is the inventor and manufacturer of the stingers. The whole system taught me that I could kill a coyote in a non-entaglement situation, in a wide open set. It is a combination of the length of the snare and the stinger that allows this to work. His newer version I have never tried.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:43 PM
AO Sponsor

All I use is 1/16" 1x19 snare wire on coyotes. I have taken thousands of coyotes with the 1/16". Few of these are taken in wide open conditions, mostr are in dense willows, dense buckbrush and dense rosebrush.

I only use the highest quality 1/16". If you use low grade 1/16" wire, you will lose coyotes, an unacceptable amount.

If you use bad 1/16" wire then your experiences will be just like Bushmasters experiences that we have been reading about on here for quite some time. Use low grade wire and you will have to up the size to 5/64" or 3/32" or you will suffer an unacceptable loss rate. Bear in mind that even with 3/32" wire some coyotes will chew thru the wire. Some coyotes, those that are snare wise in particular will chew wire immediately upon being captured in a snare, and it would take 1/8" wire to hold that coyote. Therefore, when using any size wire with any system, you will have to determine what your level of loss will be to be considered acceptable. If you cannot handle losing a coyote ever, then use 1/8" cable, however, your catch rate will drop drastically as will your kill rate.

Dead coyotes do not chew out of snares (1/16" + Stinger + trigger).

Coyotes that refuse snares (3/32" and 1/8") and don't get caught cannot chew snares either! Snare educated coyotes are very difficult to capture in 3/32 and 1/8 and are the most likely to chew thru a snare, meanwhile the same snare wise coyote is easily taken in the 1/16" wire, and at the same time is the highest risk animal to chew out.

Use what you like, many consider that there is no wrong way to snare. All ways do have their positives and their negatives. But do at least start with high quality materials to give it your best shot if you are going to try the light wire. Wire is not just wire. There's good, there's bad and there's ugly. Get the ugly and your results will also be ugly.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:45 PM

So how does a fellow differentiate between cheap wire and good wire? Also do you have a link or any info on how to use your snare spring and trigger
Old 05-24-2012, 09:50 PM

When it comes to coyotes and snaring them Marty S knows what he is talking about and proves it with his numbers annually.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:41 AM
AO Sponsor

I sell good stuff. Otherwise, by trial and error.

Video instructions...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_so7B8lEwg

Written instructions...

martysenneker.com
Old 06-18-2012, 11:18 PM

Default cable quality...you joking ?

I cant resist speaking out... "there is no such thing as bad quality snare cable"

Yes, cable varies from one another in "strands" and "cable make-up" but if you're buying 3/32 galvanized aircraft cable then it doesnt matter if you buy from Seneker... The Snare Shop, Halford or wholesale from a cable store supplier...its all the same quality when you're comparing apples to apples.

With regard to using 1/16" cable on coyotes, I wouldn't !
I use 3/32 aircraft cable ONLY
I know how tough coyotes are on the cable...twisting, biting, chewing, pulling

With regard to 3/32" cable being easier to see by the coyotes, again - I dont agree. Your cable is treated to remove the oils and treated with your choice of color (whote, brown, black or some of each) making it blend into it's surroundings. Additionally, anyone who sets snares always camouflages the cable with rose bush, grass, and twigs.

I use 3/32 cable, Shark-tooth Kamlock and 250 lb. breakaway....nothing else.
Having all that extra steel, springs, and gizzmo hanging from any size cable makes it harder to hide.

Just my opinion.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:13 AM

Old 06-19-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaAl View Post
I cant resist speaking out... "there is no such thing as bad quality snare cable"

Yes, cable varies from one another in "strands" and "cable make-up" but if you're buying 3/32 galvanized aircraft cable then it doesnt matter if you buy from Seneker... The Snare Shop, Halford or wholesale from a cable store supplier...its all the same quality when you're comparing apples to apples.

With regard to using 1/16" cable on coyotes, I wouldn't !
I use 3/32 aircraft cable ONLY
I know how tough coyotes are on the cable...twisting, biting, chewing, pulling

With regard to 3/32" cable being easier to see by the coyotes, again - I dont agree. Your cable is treated to remove the oils and treated with your choice of color (whote, brown, black or some of each) making it blend into it's surroundings. Additionally, anyone who sets snares always camouflages the cable with rose bush, grass, and twigs.

I use 3/32 cable, Shark-tooth Kamlock and 250 lb. breakaway....nothing else.
Having all that extra steel, springs, and gizzmo hanging from any size cable makes it harder to hide.

Just my opinion.
Might be just my opinion but I think Marty knows what he's talking about ..I see what you mean about hiding all those extra parts , but I think having a smaller wire/ cable size will make it easier to hide .What I'm really interested in is his breakaway system that releases non target animals such as Bambi. I've got lots of good spots to set and don't dare due to possibilty of catching deer . Phoning my order in for some new snares from him shortly .
Old 06-19-2012, 07:30 PM

Default some guys need to

Catching them is one thing...holding them is another.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:31 PM

Default go for it

Catching them is one thing...holding them is another.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Might be just my opinion but I think Marty knows what he's talking about ..I see what you mean about hiding all those extra parts , but I think having a smaller wire/ cable size will make it easier to hide .What I'm really interested in is his breakaway system that releases non target animals such as Bambi. I've got lots of good spots to set and don't dare due to possibilty of catching deer . Phoning my order in for some new snares from him shortly .
How do you catch a Deer in a Coyote snare!!??

In 30 years of trapping, I have never caught a Deer in any set.

I don't understand how it's even possible.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:05 PM

by putting a snare on a game trail is a good start. I avoid them. I did catch a deer once about 8 years ago. It was Feb and the deer was so small we thought it was a late born fawn. If the heads the right height anything can be caught in a snare.

I agree though Keg you can virtually eliminate incidental catches if you pln your sets
Old 06-19-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post

by putting a snare on a game trail is a good start. I avoid them. I did catch a deer once about 8 years ago. It was Feb and the deer was so small we thought it was a late born fawn. If the heads the right height anything can be caught in a snare.

I agree though Keg you can virtually eliminate incidental catches if you pln your sets
Thanx Brian .. I am very careful where I put my snares and I said that in my post . In my area deer out number coyotes probably 5 to 1 and they don't always know they aren't supposed to use the same trails that coyotes do . That's why I want to minimize the chance of taking one in a coyote snare . I'm not like some of the Hutterite kids that don't care where their snares get set or what they catch . Some of them figure that if a deer gets caught then they have bait . Sorry , I don't play or think that way , and yes I miss setting in a lot of good locations because of that .
Old 06-19-2012, 11:19 PM
Gone Hunting

If Deer are a concern, why wouldn't you use a duck stick ?
Old 06-20-2012, 06:47 AM

In my opinion a stick across the trail is a tried and true method but not infallible. H380 it sounds like you're doing all you can to minimize those incidentals. It's unreasonable to expect that you'll never make an unwanted incidental catch but it's also a problem if it's happening annually.

Two deer and one cougar are my incidentals in a long carear of snaring but some of that is luck. I didn't have any forums to help me out with info when I started and equipment wasn't as good. I didn't cry over those dead deer but I sure put some effort into it not happening again.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
In my opinion a stick across the trail is a tried and true method but not infallible. H380 it sounds like you're doing all you can to minimize those incidentals. It's unreasonable to expect that you'll never make an unwanted incidental catch but it's also a problem if it's happening annually.

Two deer and one cougar are my incidentals in a long carear of snaring but some of that is luck. I didn't have any forums to help me out with info when I started and equipment wasn't as good. I didn't cry over those dead deer but I sure put some effort into it not happening again.
I know what you're talking about for sure .. My only incidental came on a tunnel like set where I figured a deer would never be . I use duck sticks all the time and some times an additional one either side of the set about 20 feet . I guess sometimes **** happens .