Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-13-2012, 08:22 PM

Default Alberta trap line

Just curious to know if anything ever changed as far as regulations for owning a trap line can u still own a “““recreational""" trap line as some people call it?????
Old 05-13-2012, 08:31 PM

you might wanna post this in the trapping section a few threads down below this one...
Just saying is all.
Rob
Old 05-13-2012, 08:53 PM

No such thing as a recreational trap line. Although alot of people treat them as such and don't actively trap!! Hot topic! Especially for guys that want to trap but can't afford the " recreational retreat " prices of some so called trap lines.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:45 AM

I don't see a problem with owning a trap line and only trapping it when u got time what's it to anyone else how often u run your line. I don't know about all other trappers but personally I couldn't live of the earnings of of trap line and I'm to busy with my job to trap it as often as a person should. So does that mean I shouldn't b able to have one I don't think so and if I also use it for hunting what's to u Really.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:46 AM

So with that said anyone know of a line in the peace country anywhere for sale?
Old 05-14-2012, 11:53 AM

whats it to anyone else if you trap yer line or not?????? because there are ALOT of people that would love to trap full time every winter if only they could get there hands on a line, and guess what, the people that want to trap full time are the ones that cant afford to pay top dollar prices like the recreational guys can. ( my 2 cents)
Old 05-14-2012, 12:30 PM

I guess that's a valid point but if your a hard core trapper who wants to do nothing but trap all winter then I'm sure u could go way north and buy a line alot cheaper if I can afford one down here should I not b able to trap it when I have the time to and maybe get a junior trapper to trap it full time I'd still b getting enough fur off the line. So my point is then I'd b helping a guy trap closer to home where he normally might not b able to afford to do so
Old 05-14-2012, 12:32 PM

To me it's a win win I can trap recreationally and a junior trapper can do it full time on my line as well. Just my 2 cents
Old 05-14-2012, 01:23 PM

A RFMA comes under reveiw every five years, before you can renew your licence, you have to have met the guidelines listed. So it would be in your best intrest to have a Junior trapper or yourself actively work the line. Personally I enjoy trapping so I spend as much time on the line as work allows. Finding a line will be a challenge.......
Old 05-14-2012, 02:26 PM

elk, you shouldn't have any trouble finding a junior or even a full partner.
I agree, it's a win win. My wife and I bought some land and will be building a cabin so are looking for a line (without a cabin) or to become partners or juniors in the Little Smoky/Simonette area, WMUs 521, 353. 354
Good Luck
Doug
Old 05-16-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357xp View Post
whats it to anyone else if you trap yer line or not?????? because there are ALOT of people that would love to trap full time every winter if only they could get there hands on a line, and guess what, the people that want to trap full time are the ones that cant afford to pay top dollar prices like the recreational guys can. ( my 2 cents)
The problem with this statement is that the people that want to trap "full time" should easily be able to go and get a good paying job for a couple years so that they can afford it. Its Alberta, if you aren't working, its because you don't want to. If you can afford to trap full time without working, you could get a job to buy a trapline first. Its all about how bad you want it, and how hard you want to work to get it.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:25 AM

when you have to pay $80000 for a trapline because there is demand for them from recreational trappers.I have nothing against the guys that work for a living and hit the line on the weekend cause that where i am at now. But when guys buy them and build a huge cabin and have no plan to ever trap and just like a hunting cabin i don't think this is right. The days of the 365 day trapper are probably done because if a guy has to work to get the money to but a line he is probably going to just keep working if the money is that good.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:47 AM

I am seeing a common theme in this thread that is just not right. Most guys refer to the trapline as "theirs". Traplines rightfully belong to every Albertan and the trapper has the priveledge to trap it. Thats it, thats all!
If people would start with this in mind then we wouldn't have the problems we do.
Traplines do NOT belong to the trapper they just have a right to the tarpping on it. This implies that that they cannot use their cabin for any recreational purposes. If they could then every Albertan should be able to go out and build a cabin anywhere on crown land and enjoy it!
Old 06-10-2012, 10:52 AM

I agree with you mostly but let me put out this question! Are there any "recreational purposes" that may be deemed reasonable or acceptable? For example, is it acceptable to have some friends over to your cabin for a BBQ (once in awhile)? I have known a few trappers who do use their cabins for some socializing (family and/or friends), sometimes in conjunction with trapline maintenance or trap dipping, but sometimes just to be there and enjoy "their" cabin. I feel if someone traps legitimately during the trapping season and maintains their line in the off-season, then a little R & R is acceptable.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 06-10-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAPPER92 View Post
I am seeing a common theme in this thread that is just not right. Most guys refer to the trapline as "theirs". Traplines rightfully belong to every Albertan and the trapper has the priveledge to trap it. Thats it, thats all!
If people would start with this in mind then we wouldn't have the problems we do.
Traplines do NOT belong to the trapper they just have a right to the tarpping on it. This implies that that they cannot use their cabin for any recreational purposes. If they could then every Albertan should be able to go out and build a cabin anywhere on crown land and enjoy it!
The land the trapline is on is crown but the cabins, bridges, trap sets, are THEIRS..... According to each name on the 1700 or so RFMAs on Alberta crown land.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:32 PM

I live in the bush,had a problem with wolves killin dog`s. called rangers they said the 3 trappers in area would be advised to trap em, trappers all said no money in furs no trappin happening. ranger said part of the reason they allow traplines is to cull the predators.anyhow NO ONE dealt with the issue,except me an my dog`s.They only use the traplines as excuses for the right to put up cabins<MANSIONS>and have the right to live on it for 1/2 the year.There is few real trappers left. and they pay for the recreational trappers.BUT i don`t have no problem, unless my home is under seige because the elk are using us as shields against the packs of wolves that are around here.....WELL that was almost better than sex...
Old 06-10-2012, 04:52 PM

When I talk about recreational purposes I'm not talking about the odd BBQ or get together, I'm talking about using it mostly for hunting, skidooing, quadding etc.
I inquired about a trapline once and received pictures of it. Not one of those pics was about what species of fur bearers was on the land or anything to do with trapping. The pics I received were of the cabin, moose and deer hunting pics and the nice lake his cabin was on.
To top it off he wanted $180,000 for it.
Anyone can talk about this subject and paint it real nice but underneath it all is the fact that traplines have become a real estate commodity for rich Albertans.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
When I talk about recreational purposes I'm not talking about the odd BBQ or get together, I'm talking about using it mostly for hunting, skidooing, quadding etc.
I inquired about a trapline once and received pictures of it. Not one of those pics was about what species of fur bearers was on the land or anything to do with trapping. The pics I received were of the cabin, moose and deer hunting pics and the nice lake his cabin was on.
Anyone can talk about this subject and paint it real nice but underneath it all is the fact that traplines have become a real estate commodity for rich Albertans.
I guess, by the sounds of things, I'm 'rich'. I trap on a registered trapline. I have a 16 x 20 log cabin, 38 years old. Not pretty, but it works for me. I trap all seasons, and all species. I just finished up the spring season with 161 beaver. Last winter was pretty good. Rich? Yes, but not money wise. I enjoy the outdoors and serenity that heals the mind and body. Please put the big paint brush away.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:06 PM

X2 well said
Old 06-10-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerntrapper View Post
I guess, by the sounds of things, I'm 'rich'. I trap on a registered trapline. I have a 16 x 20 log cabin, 38 years old. Not pretty, but it works for me. I trap all seasons, and all species. I just finished up the spring season with 161 beaver. Last winter was pretty good. Rich? Yes, but not money wise. I enjoy the outdoors and serenity that heals the mind and body. Please put the big paint brush away.
Guess I'm rich too!!!!
I enjoy the trapline for the winter time trapping, peace and quiet. It's hardly a nice cabin, just an old oilfield bunk shack, and miles of muskeg, not a mountian or lake in sight, but it's as rich as I ever want to be. Did't pay that much for this, guess it's cause most folks don't want the work of a run down line. Cheap lines are out there, but they don't have mountians, or lakes to fish on, and they are not very accessible come summer. But for trapping their great.

And about the big brush, please put that away, all I'm saying...
Old 06-11-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim summit View Post
Guess I'm rich too!!!!
I enjoy the trapline for the winter time trapping, peace and quiet. It's hardly a nice cabin, just an old oilfield bunk shack, and miles of muskeg, not a mountian or lake in sight, but it's as rich as I ever want to be. Did't pay that much for this, guess it's cause most folks don't want the work of a run down line. Cheap lines are out there, but they don't have mountians, or lakes to fish on, and they are not very accessible come summer. But for trapping their great.

X3
Old 06-14-2012, 09:36 PM

x4
Old 06-14-2012, 11:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
This is a legitimate concern. The individuals criticizing this statement are clearly taking your point and applying an absurd context to it in order to discredit it.

However, the truth of your statement is undeniable.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim summit View Post
Guess I'm rich too!!!!

X5
Old 06-18-2012, 09:15 PM

"but underneath it all is the fact that traplines have become a real estate commodity for rich Albertans."

What a load of BS! A few well off dudes buy traplines so all of a sudden the average trapper is loaded? Sounds like sour grapes to me.

And so what if someone happens to have money and also likes to trap. Personally i know three millionaire trappers and I'd like to see some of you "poor trappers" keep up to their pace on the trapline.

I don't measure people by their wealth or social status, I judge them by their actions.