Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 07-03-2012, 11:11 PM

Default My grouse road now has a registered trap line on it

Ive been hunting this road with my dogs for over a decade.
Now I'm a bit worried about having my lab range the bush for ruffies and she runs into a wolf snare.

I just noticed the sign on the post by the road. Will this posting have a contact number?

Will he-she be running traps during grouse season?

Don't know much about trapping, unless it's gophers or rabbits.
If anyone has some info, I'd appreciate it.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-04-2012, 12:05 AM

Your grouse road always was a registered trapline.

http://albertaregulations.ca/trappingregs/quotas.htm

No seasons open before October 1st. Guess it couldnt hurt to pack a set of side cutters.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post

No seasons open before October 1st. Guess it couldnt hurt to pack a set of side cutters.
We learned last year there are a few trappers (well at least one) who like to jump the gun.

Good advice on the side cutters. Are normal side cutters going to be enough to get through a heavy snare in fairly short order?
Old 07-04-2012, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Not sure what the point of jumping the gun would be? Unless it's ADC work, non-prime fur isn't worth the effort.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miskosky View Post
Not sure what the point of jumping the gun would be? Unless it's ADC work, non-prime fur isn't worth the effort.
No idea. I just know we had that woman hiker lose her dog last year and it was just before the season.

While your here Rob, would normal side cutters extricate a dog out of a snare meant for a larger animal such as a wolf?
Old 07-04-2012, 09:53 AM
Administrator

They'd have to be a pretty good pair otherwise there might have to be some twisting of the cable take place before it broke.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:06 AM

Default Thanks for the info

Dont know why I never thought to look up the regs.

I am worried about wolf snares, as there's a pack thats been in this valley lately.

Ill try and get a hold of the guy.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-04-2012, 10:42 AM

If you're worried about your dog getting caught in a snare, I would spend the $40 or so dollars and get a good set of cable cutters.

Also, I've heard most dogs won't fight a snare hard enough for it to become lethal....but obviously thats a variable. A few years ago a guy was hunting near my place and I told him to avoid a certain bush....but he ended up forgetting and going in there later in the day. He said I caught his dog 3 times before he got out of that bush....
Old 07-04-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
If you're worried about your dog getting caught in a snare, I would spend the $40 or so dollars and get a good set of cable cutters.
I was JUST looking up a pair online from a trapping supply company. Says they can cut through up to 3/16" cable. I'm thinking that might not be a bad investment to have in my pack or fanny when I've got the dog running off-leash hunting or hiking. Only 9 ounces.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:47 PM

Have caught a few over the years. I found any of the dogs that have been on a leash before sit down once the cable starts to pull tight. Most come out of the snare with out cable cutters and with out hurting the dog or the snare.

Caught my dog last year while I was doing some new sets. She sat down and barked at me to come get her free, reset the snare and 2 days later caught a big dog coyote in the set.

Thunder
Old 07-04-2012, 07:50 PM

i would be worried about the 330 connibear set for a critter with a piece of beaver on the side...the snare is not lethal normally to a pet...they don't freak out like a coyote or fox would & strangle them selves....
Old 07-06-2012, 05:34 PM

my dog was caught in a snare last year. she got that thing pretty tight around her neck to the point she was foaming at mouth. luckily a friend was with me who had side cutters. i carry a pair of klein's with me know when i am out with dogs. they are light and can cut through no 9 wire easy, so should easily cut through cable. you can buy them at any hardware store, not cheap but will last forever
Old 07-06-2012, 08:32 PM

Default dog in snare

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLG View Post
my dog was caught in a snare last year. she got that thing pretty tight around her neck to the point she was foaming at mouth. luckily a friend was with me who had side cutters. i carry a pair of klein's with me know when i am out with dogs. they are light and can cut through no 9 wire easy, so should easily cut through cable. you can buy them at any hardware store, not cheap but will last forever
we have caught quite few dogs over the years, one was dead. He had gone wild and was with a wolf. The others were in snares and not choked down at all. My dad caught a pair of St. Bernards, three times one winter. They would be waiting for him, with tails wagging. My dad would load them in the cab of his toyota(single cab) and and slowly make his way to the owners place, and tell them to keep their dogs from running the bush. That didn't help, though. Finally, he pulled up the snares. Dogs run the bush around here for miles from their residence.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:34 PM

I should also add, if a dog is chasing something and hits a snare with today's locks, I'm afraid your dog won't last long.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:25 PM

Default Beware of Power Ram snares

If your dog hits a snare with a power ram meant for a wolf, not a chance it will make it. The only thing you will hear maybe will be the snare tripping. The dog wont make a sound. If I were you I would try to reach the fellow who owns the trap line and get him to agree to let you know when he is trapping the wolves. If he is a good trapper he wont be trapping til late October and into the winter to get the best prime furs. If he is a ethical trapper he will try to work with you.
He has to remember that is is a multi use resource. You have just as much right there as he does. Trapping may increase this coming year due to the prices of coyotes being very good last year. I averaged $70 on my coyotes last year.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post

If you cut the snare. be decent enough to replace it,at least let em know you did it.I`ve lost several dog`s to snares. one bunch of snares were over 4 miles away as the crow fly`s ,the ones that were trained to leed survived the ones that were`t didn`t,After the second time I tell the trapper to get rid of the dog`s and do not feel bad.Lost a few over the years, but non were malicious or pleased about it.felt sorry for the trapper.out of the 5 different people running traps around here,3 have found some of my dog`s.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
We learned last year there are a few trappers (well at least one) who like to jump the gun.

Good advice on the side cutters. Are normal side cutters going to be enough to get through a heavy snare in fairly short order?
The local land owner[I BELIEVE]has the right to snare anytime of the year on their own land.this would be. a little iffy to be cruising the creek or unused road allowances.If I`m wrong about the right to snare yearround,I must of heard it at the coffee shop.also i think there is no limit to amount of snares,or the time between checking them.