Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 07-05-2012, 06:21 PM

Default lure making

I figured we need a lure\bait making thread anybody want to share their recipies for lynx,marten?
Old 07-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Banned

Go for it, Stinky. You're first....
Old 07-05-2012, 08:10 PM

i'ld like to here what other people like, and i don't mind telling what i use. seems like a big waste of money to buy premade lure for the price they charge when makeing it is so easy. and cheap, plus every thing is better when you do it yourself.

for marten, i posted one of the pics on the other thread. of my base ingredients.

[IMG][/IMG]

basicly i'm cooking up a paste/gel: lard,100% skunk gland, and some anti freeze type stuff that keeps it soft, no matter what the temp. i'll mix it with a lot of raspberry jam, and my secret ingredintent is maple syrup(it's good on every thing,pancakes to ceasar salad)

less than 10 mins after take this pic. a black bear walked out of the darkness at about 10 yrds.

[IMG][/IMG]

we started yelling!! the dog woke up and chased it off. pretty fun!! the stuff stinks!!!!!!!!
Old 07-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Good post guys. I'm one of those guys who has always spent more time gathering bait as opposed to making lures, which I have always bought. I'm a big fan of Lennon's Lures and simply using beaver castor but I'm certainly open to trying homemade. Brian gave me a simple recipe of 10 to 1 glycerin to skunk essence for marten that I'm going to try this year. What is the breakdown of your mixture braggadoe, if you don't mind?
Old 07-05-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
I figured we need a lure\bait making thread anybody want to share their recipies for lynx,marten?
For lynx I use castor as a base wth a set of oil bags. Then add catnip and black poplar buds. Amounts are by smell, its a old recipie that my grandfather made. Works great on a rub stick type of set, right on the the trigger of a 330.

At one time I made my own fish based marten call. By putting fish cleaning and heads into pails and leaving them out in the sun. Once most was liquid, the liquid was poured off to be used later. To the paste that was left, skunk essence was added, a small liquid fish oil was put back. Should be kept as a paste. Works good at all temps and doen't lose its smell.

Don't do that any more as the line is not a great marten line, old line was and it takes alot of time. The upside to this if I did it now I would have lure for years.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:48 PM

For lynx I have been using beaver castor,anise oil,mink glands,catnip,with a bit of lard to make a paste and glycerine,for marten and fisher I rot down beaver liver to a liquid add lots of skunk and glycerine it works well.I have a big jar of lynx liver rotting I am going to add a bunch of castor and some wintergreen oil and a little catnip,we will see how it works.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:17 PM

10 to 1 sounds about right. i have to admit that i'm not very scientific about it. just mixing, making a paste. rains alot at the start of the season, so it's nice that it doesn't wash away. then it's real cold and it needs to be soft.

good recipes guys.