Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-05-2018, 09:30 PM

Default Bull Trout Ice Fishing

Ive fly fished for bull trout lots, but never ice fished for them. Mostly what i am unsure about is what depths to be looking for them in the winter. Not the shallows where i find them in the spring im assuming. Are they found in a broad range during the winter, or tend to key in on more a specific depth?

Also i hate to ask, but any recommendations as to where to try on lower k?? Normally i would be more than willing to put the time and effort in to find them myself. That's half the fun to me! But as a result of going to college i don't have the time to properly put that kind of time in as i will only be home for the Christmas break for a short period of time. Probably only make it out once or twice. Want to try and capitalize on probably the only bit of ice fishing ill be doing while home! If anyone is willing to send a private message of a good place to start that would be amazing! If not just my basic question of what depths to be looking would also be very appreciated!

Thanks a ton guys!
Old 12-06-2018, 08:08 AM

I fish for them pretty deep typical I see them in 40-70'. On lower k I see lots of people set up close to the open water from the spillway on the south side, i assume they set up there because the fishing is good. I do not fish there I'm not a fan of competition when I fish. I typically move to the upper lake after new year I just have never had much luck on the lower in January / February.

I should note electronics have increased my catch rate significantly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (38.1 KB, 129 views)