Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-04-2023, 09:14 AM

Default First coyote stand of the year

As usual this post was first written for predator masters forum and edited for gun nutz and outdoorsman as I know some guys here like the coyote stories as well.
the weather here has been all over the map recently so I haven't had the itch to get out until a few days ago. like a switch was flipped, the weather turned cool and coyotes started showing up all over the place!
To keep up with the usual fall ritual the calls and rifle were placed in the truck for the off chance that work slows enough to make a stand or 2 before going home.
Screenshot_20231002-170822 by brad harder, on Flickr

After practicing in the truck on the way to work I decided then and there that I would find a way to squeeze a stand in.
Sure enough timing was perfect to have 30 min for a fast stand right near the yard
I grabbed my things and hustled to a small rockpile that had been scouted earlier in the summer.
With a brand new set of calls previously won in a charity raffle put on by dirts custom calls I nestled into the rocks and got ready. I let out a soft squee on a coaxer with the hopes that the badger hole in front of me was occupied.
With no luck on the first series I moved up to the large closed reed which also produced nothing.
From driving by this area I knew there was pups somewhere nearby so I kept with distress and moved to an open reed to get some more rasp and volume out into the expanse in the hopes that it would wake something up.
Stumped that nothing was showing up I did a full 360 scan of the area and too my surprise there was 2 coyotes!.
Almost completely behind me out in the wide open field came 2 coyotes at a fast trot. The lead dog was dangerously close to my wind and miraculously sticking to the low ground where she couldn't see the truck.
Carefully pulling the gun around I pulled her up in the scope and hesitated. seeing the pup 300 yards behind her I pondered. "If she stays here for another minute I could probably get a crack at both of them". As if on cue the lead adult dog caught a massive whiff of danger and took off. Despite my barking, yipping, and kiyi's she never stopped.
Lucky for me the trailing dog was a pup who had no clue what just happened and stood there patiently as the shaking crosshairs were settled on its chest. At 290 yards the swift sent it's 50gr vmax right into the boiler room and with a single jump and spin the first coyote of the year was down.
DSC_0466 by brad harder, on Flickr

DSC_0472 by brad harder, on Flickr

Photo of the call that sealed the deal and the coyote that was patient enough to stand still
Also I need to point out, dirts custom calls are high quality top notch works of art and I can't stress enough how happy I am with his craftsmanship!

The Nikon was used in place of my damaged phone camera and I think it will need to come on more trips with me this year!

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 10-04-2023, 05:22 PM

Well done. Really enjoy your coyote hunting adventures.
Old 10-05-2023, 06:43 AM

Default First coyote

Sounds like they’re not going to worth much this year, but it sure is fun be out again laying them to rest. I’ll be doing the same soon.
Old 10-05-2023, 11:55 AM

Awesome story, congrats! I can’t wait to get out there to shoot some dogs.
Old 10-05-2023, 07:46 PM

Great story & pics. Are you using a 220 Swift?

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 10-06-2023, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Great story & pics. Are you using a 220 Swift?
Yes sir. It's a Tikka t3 with a Ron Smith barrel in 220swift

Old 10-07-2023, 04:50 PM

Awesome little story! Hoping to get into coyote hunting this year
Old 10-08-2023, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostinthewoods View Post
Awesome little story! Hoping to get into coyote hunting this year
Thanks! If you ever have questions on calling feel free to hit me up and I can try to help as best I can.

Old 10-09-2023, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
Yes sir. It's a Tikka t3 with a Ron Smith barrel in 220swift
I had a 220 Swift in a Ruger77 HB. Had a cheap Nikon scope on it. Maybe one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned. Shoot gophers @ 100 yards lots, 200 yards without too many misses. Sold it to a fine AO'er, and I think another fella now has it.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 10-10-2023, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
I had a 220 Swift in a Ruger77 HB. Had a cheap Nikon scope on it. Maybe one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned. Shoot gophers @ 100 yards lots, 200 yards without too many misses. Sold it to a fine AO'er, and I think another fella now has it.

It's a wonderful caliber. I actually had a Ruger 77 in a pencil barrel that I sold to fund this project solely because I like tikkas more than everything else.