Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-24-2016, 04:57 PM

Default Saskatchewan Fishing Trip Plans

Trying to plan a summer fishing trip with the guys. We have our own boats and gear and would like to do a trip where we can just rent the cabins and write our own schedule. Drive to or boat in access only, cant afford the fly in options right now. Don't mind roughing it, just wanna catch lots of fish!!

Anybody have some spots they would recommend? Have considered Lac La Ronge, Buffalo narrows area, Pelican narrows area, Lac La Plonge, Reindeer, etc, etc. Too many options to choose. Any info and advice would be much appreciated. Would like to target big lakers and big pike, walleye would just be a bonus.

Thanks.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:32 PM

I like Lac la ronge. The only bad thing is it s about a 30 mile ride to the cabins.

Dan
Old 02-24-2016, 07:28 PM

Default fish trip

Lac LaPlonge will fill all your needs.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:12 PM

Default Nemeban Lake Cabins

Hi: Fish Nemeban Lake, Cabins available for rent, way less stress than trying to navigate through the islands and reefs in La Ronge.

They have lake trout, Pike and Walleye in the lake, although you have to burn a lot of gas to get to the lake trout.

There are small outpost lakes you can walk to and use the aluminum boat and oars to catch walleye

About 30 min drive north of the town of La Ronge

Hoopi
Old 02-24-2016, 11:34 PM

http://www.dlrfishing.com/
I stayed here a few years in a row and they where great..
Old 02-25-2016, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy 0-0-7 View Post
Lac LaPlonge will fill all your needs.
X2. Haven't been there for a few years but good lakers eairly in the season an the beaver River close for lots of walleye. Campground on the lake we always brought our own boat good launches at the river an lake.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:08 AM

A couple thoughts - for a easy long weekend trip - look at Meadow Lakes Provincial Park in SK just across the border. Waterhen, Flotten, Pierce and a few other lakes have drive to cabins and good fishing. You can literally fish a different lake each morning and each afternoon. There are some big ones in there, but you are also only 4 hours from Edmonton.

We have went to a number of lakes - Athapapaskow, Reindeer etc... and the drive is rough (and way longer) but the fishing is generally better and the fish are generally bigger. Reindeer was our last trip and I think we would do it again. It was pretty cool.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:18 AM

Deschambault Lake

Good walleye fishing. Bit of a hike to get to though.

http://www.bloomfieldsresort.ca/8.html

http://www.dlrfishing.com/
Old 02-25-2016, 08:40 AM

Pinehouse is an option too. Kamkota lodge has cabins and a campground. It's a fair bit of rough gravel though from La Plonge on up.

SS
Old 02-25-2016, 08:46 AM

I would do LA plonge or reindeer. Reindeer is alot farther drive for you and definitely more remote and rough but holds some big lakers and Jack's for that reason. If it were me I'd do laplonge this year and reindeer next year depending on what they group thinks.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:19 AM

Reindeer is fantastic! Fished it on a fly-in trip and stayed at Arctic Lodges. Not sure if you can get there by road but im sure there is a way. Most days we felt like the only boat on the lake, wouldn't see another boat all day. However, this lake has a million islands and even for a seasoned fisherman it is very easy to lose your bearings. Best using a very solid GPS system as using land markers will get u lost in a hurry. Caught lots of lakers, one over 20, and lots of pike, 2 over 20. Lake holds greyling too and apparently walleye, although we didn't see any. Local natives say that netting has caused a decline in the fish population and that there are less monsters than there used to be. We fished hard and had success but there were some dry spells. good thing we had a guide so we could just drink and
Old 02-25-2016, 10:26 AM

You can drive to Reindeer, and access at Southend. The road isn't bad, the stretch from LaRonge to Missinipe is the worst, it gets better after that.

For the ease of drive, best balance of fishing and cost - Lac La Ronge gets my vote. Blacktop all the way to the lake, good diversity of fish and relatively cheap accommodations.

You can rent cabins from Cornhusker Lodge, in Hunter bay. You will need a GPS to get there, and Navionics to avoid the many reefs. Great fishing for Walleye in Pickerel Bay, great fishing for Lakers and decent Pike fishing - all right at your doorstep from Cornhusker.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:57 AM

Appreciate the info guys. Still weighing our options....

Any other advice/tips?
Old 02-25-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrobert View Post
Appreciate the info guys. Still weighing our options....

Any other advice/tips?
Bug Spray, lots of bugs spray.

BW
Old 02-25-2016, 01:34 PM

I would do Reindeer over Lac la Ronge. I fished la Ronge hard for a number of days and it was long rides with significant hazards, esp of the weather blows up, for very little. It was not just me either as the fish cleaning station was empty and did not see anyone else catch more than me. Beautiful camp ground and scenery though. The camp ground cleaning staff told us the fish cleaning stations at Nemeiben were much busier so we went there as well. The fishing at Nemeiben was better but far from great and not worth the drive IMHO.

Good Luck on your trip
Old 02-25-2016, 04:58 PM

We took the family ice fishing to pierce lake lodge and it was excellent summer fishing even better! Nice cabins great owners, only half hour past cold lake I would check it out for a fun trip with the boys
Old 02-25-2016, 05:04 PM

If lakers aren't a deal breaker, I'd recommend Slim's Cabins on the Churchill up past Pelican Narrows. It's going to be walleye and pike though. It's likely a long drive from where you are coming from, but they have drive to and boat in outpost cabins. Cost is as good as anywhere I've seen. The last 100 km is all grid. They are a lot busier this summer though with the Canadian dollar in the tank. There aren't too many hazards to watch out for, so it's quite easy to get around and you have about 40 miles of fishable waters.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:17 PM

La Plonge would get my vote for sure. I'd stay at sandy beach.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:31 PM

This will be my second year heading up to Churchill lake. Great fishing. PM for rental info
Old 02-25-2016, 06:04 PM

Default Saskatchewan Fishing trips

Tobin lake, Napawin has some great fishing, we stayed in the cabins just outside town and have rented boats at times and brought our own other times. Biggest Pike was 24 lbs and Walleye was 13 lbs, caught lots in the 5 to 8 lbs range. Asphalt the whole way, with Saskatchewan hiway conditions. Alberta's are getting to be not much better . lol