Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-04-2008, 07:48 PM

Default Hunting Alone

Spend the money and get yourself a " Find Me Spot" to keep in touch when you are away and there is no cel service.

Bruce.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:04 PM

Default re

Hey guys, my name is Bob Bauer, i live in wetaskiwin and usually hunt west of here near Rocky Mountain House, and in and around Drayton Valley , im always looking for a partner . I have a General elk tag , a Wt tag, and a mulie tag drawn in 224. If anyone is interested send me a pm, and we can arrange a getogether.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:55 AM

Count me in for water fowling or big game - although at times I may not be available due to hunt camp commitments (Oct 11-20, Nov 15-23).

I live in Red Deer, hunt in the Red Deer area and east for waterfowl, west of Rocky for elk/deer as well as west of Whitecourt for deer/elk. Hunt big game with lever guns although I've been known to use a modern bolt action on occasion.

PM me to arrange to talk and if agreeable, arrange to go hunting.

Update Nov.4, 2008: booked up solid to end of hunting season.

Last edited by John Spartan; 11-04-2008 at 12:04 AM. Reason: cleaned up grammar
Old 10-06-2008, 01:34 AM

Default Alberta hunting community

I think this post is a great idea... I think it is so great in fact, that it needs its own section and breakdown. I bet this sounds like a lotta work to the mods but could be well worth it. Think about it. Not only that It could Really bring us all together as a tighter knit community, which definitely is not a bad thing in this day and age.

Hunting community
-Archery
- Gun

-Northern Alberta
Sticky: contacts(contact info, availabilities, preferences)
EG. - Any one looking for partner this weekend??
- hunting alone sun.
- looking for partner on Sat.

- Central Alberta
Sticky: contacts
-blah blah blah

- Southern AB.
Sticky: contacts
- looking for sun. partner for 316(hint, hint)
- blah blah blah
- looking for after work partners for during the week except wednesdays(another hint)

hey c'mon, c'mon.... this would be sweet as long as people post where they're supposed to and I think, understand that you could make life time friends, or just realize that people will have different styles, habits, etc. and everybody wont neccessarily work with every one else. So hopefully in those senarios, we could avoid bad talk and just chalk it up to realizing that," just because that person stalks at 20mph and I move 20yrds per hr" theres no hard feelings ...whoa maybe a little to specific. Anyways , point made...I think.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:11 PM

It's probably just as easy for people to post where they are located and where they want to hunt and keep it simple?
But it is a great idea for people to get out hunting and meet new people.
jus my two cents werth.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:52 PM

Well heres my info...Hunt as often as I can anywhere around Cowtown 1 hr+/-. Archery Only.... for this season anyways. I'm new to this but fully geared up. I've got general tags for pretty much everything big game(including black bear) and looking to go some weekday evenings and weekends. I dont have an area I'd like to call home yet but find myself in 410 mostly. Good hunting.

Maybe, meeting up for a beer or coffee before hand, to see if we'll be thinkin along the same lines, probably wouldn't hurt. I'm probably heading out everyday this weekend solo, so by all means drop me a line

Late,Nate

Last edited by Knownonscents; 10-19-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:39 PM

My name is Jeff, and if anyone in the south (AKA south of Cowtown ) wants to get out for a duck hunt or hunt the mountains let me know through PM. I live near lethbridge.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:32 PM

Default Get a Spot

Ya, hunting alone can be sketchy, especially on big sheep hunts or canoe trips into the boons. I bought a Spot personal location device for my airplane and I take it hunting all the time. I can send messages to my wife's email letting her know I'm OK and she can track me in google earth while I'm gone. Haven't had to use the 911 feature yet and hope I never have to. Good idea to find hunting buddies through the forum though. If you're not comfortable out there on your own, bring a buddy.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:12 PM

my name is travis and i live in leduc. looking to hunt general elk white tail. rifle or bow. no scared to go for a little drive. any one want to go pm me. work weird hours but will be in nait on oct 20. just in time to hunt the rut!!!!
Old 10-09-2008, 11:54 AM

Default willing to hunt

Hunt: any general tag rifle, bow, primitive, upland and waterfowl.

Area: in calgary but willing to drive anywhere for a good hunt

Availability: work shifts so weekends and midweek. Daytrips or multi-day trips

Old 10-09-2008, 04:38 PM

This is a great idea. I would like to team up with duck/geese hunters who may be thinking about taking their kids out for a hunt. I would like to get my 6 yr. old boy out before it gets too cold. I live in Calgary, SW. Hunted all my life upland and migratory birds, have many goose/duck decoys. Big game the last 7 yrs. on and off. Just need a responsible hunting partner who does not mind the young one in training.

Cheers,

Jamie
Old 10-10-2008, 03:50 PM

Smile Hunting

Hi there,

Name: Tim
Live in: SE Calgary (Pennbrook)

Hunt: any general tag rifle,
Deer, never been on a moose, elk or sheep hunts but I would love 2.
upland and waterfowl.

Thanks
Old 10-10-2008, 08:47 PM

Eric. Calgary. No vacation this year, but I go deer hunting alone every weekend. Usually down south to 402, 404, 308. I hunt for the freezer vs Trophy wall, but won't preach. Wouldn't mind some company once in a while. Would love to try waterfowling too. Don't have a quad, but I drag my deer out by myself, so I'm fairly handy to have around. PM me if you want to team up for a day.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:07 AM

Default Just moved to Cowtown

Rocky Ridge, Calgary, used to waterfowl, whitetail

Dave

Last edited by cuttincircles; 01-18-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 03:07 PM

Default Hello

Hi there my name is Tyler and i have been on this site for a while now and this is a great idea for those of us that do hunt alone. I live in Calgary and hunt grouse and deer around Waiporous and also 310,308 and the Porcupine hills. I hunt bears alone alot and elk as well i do have a quad and am an experienced hunter that can either walk or sit. If anyone is looking for a guy to hunt with and if you are open to going out for some fun let me know.
Home 403-454-9330
Cell 403-404-1970
Old 10-15-2008, 12:12 PM

Default heading out oct 20-21

I'm heading out for a few day hunts monday 20 - wed 21 rifle in 400,402 or bow 304,305

anyone iterested let me know. Location not set in stone
Old 10-16-2008, 01:27 AM

im located in lethbridge, im a rookie but i got decoys up for a duck hunt anytime lemme know!!!
Old 10-18-2008, 12:15 PM

Default Phewf

I would love to find others to go hunting with. I have noone to inform when I go out, so having someone else to go with would be great. Also having someone with experience in the WMU's is awesome, b/c I don't know Alberta that well.

I'm building priority for Moose, and would need a location and buddies to go out with next year(s).

Im in Calgary (have truck, will travel )
Rifle season
General White tail tag for this season (I have mule tags in 163, but hope to fill those in Nov)
Would love to go out for Elk too
Old 10-18-2008, 05:36 PM

Great thread Tuc!

Listen guys, DO NOT post your emails or phone numbers! You'll get spammed/harassed to death as this forum is public, and not all members are friends. I for one would not want any of these crazy anti's having my info. Use the PM system to protect yourselves. Happy hunting guys!

Tree
Old 10-18-2008, 08:35 PM

Hey everyone , love the idea of buddying up. I dont know how many times I have had to go out alone due to other cancelling at the last minute.
Just wanted to throw another idea out there.
Recently picked up one of the satelight trackers " SPOT "
Seems likea great idea. With the three different modes it allows you to check in , call for non lifethreatening help and life threatening help.
It wont be much good in the case of an animal attack in saving your bacon but at least if your seriously hurt and have open access to sky you stand a good chance of someone being sent to help you.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:39 PM

Hello

My name is Ryan and I would love to do some water fowl hunting. Im in Calgary and have the basic gear (no decoys).

Im 23 years old but mature for my age.

Send a PM if you need a hunting partner.

PS - recently used SPOT on a caribou hunt and was VERY disappointed. Nice toy to let your wife know where you are or to alert your buddy you need help with a kill but I wouldn't feel safe trusting my life with it.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:56 PM
Ladygun

Ahaha! I finally found where I need to be!

Hi! I need someone in my area or interested in hunting in my area to partner up with. Im a green hunter, but im patient and I learn quickly. I know some really good spots out here. deer and chickens for the win! hehe

Need some experience to guide me, let me know what you know!
Cass
Old 10-21-2008, 10:53 PM

another rookie... name's adham (u can call me dimos), live in calgary, interested in game bird for the time being, and i'll be going for WT and/or mulies down the line...
got a couple 12ga's and calls for the birds and a 30.06 for the big game... no decoys, no boat, no retriever... wader's available though :-) ... very encouraging, eh?!

anyone interested to team up plz pm me
Old 10-22-2008, 04:16 AM

300 wsm aka rick hunt the south for general elk and whitey have 164 muley buck tag 25 years old hit me up took the whole hunting season off so iam game whenever give me a pm if you are gun safe
Old 10-24-2008, 06:02 PM
Eyeswideshut

Great idea,.. its always nice meeting new people. My name is Jason and I have tags for antlerless moose 357, and Mule buck 521. Usually go out with the wife, but her interest seems to be diminishing.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:23 PM
Ladygun

Still looking for more hunting partners I have plans for nov 2nd and 3 But would like to go out ALOT more than that. Need some help guys and gals. Got my WT tags and warm clothes (:
Cass
Old 10-26-2008, 08:16 PM

Hello, i live just east of calgary about 60km and looking for a hunting partner in november. i only have a general whitetail tag so going wherever is fine by me. send me a pm to see if something can be arranged.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:19 PM

Looking to learn the ropes of waterfowling

Experience: Upland (Grouse) and big-game

Equipment: Shotgun, waders, camo. Will buy toys if needed

Never shot ducks/geese and am very willing to learn. Recently moved back to Alberta. Those who posted waterfowl can expect a pm.

Regards,
Joshtar
Old 10-28-2008, 05:49 PM

Hi there;

From a hunting perspective, I am new to Alberta, but have been hunting since I was a kid. I usually go after deer, but enjoy a good day afield grouse hunting. Wouldn't mind learning how to hunt waterfowl, been once and loved it. looking to get out for a day hear & there, usually weekends.

Name: Laird
Live in: Calgary

Hunt: WT, Mullies (rifle), grouse.
Love to Learn: Waterfowl, Pheasant
Old 10-29-2008, 12:30 AM

Default New to GP area

Hi everyone,

Just moved to GP from the NWT and am looking for a hunting partner. I have a WT and General Elk. I also enjoy waterfowl. I'd be interested in tagging alone if you need help, etc as well. Send me a message if you can help me out!

Thanks
Ian