Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-29-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpete1 View Post
i have a 2007 sportsman , its a great quad ,only hiccup is an annoying bog above 7000 feet of elevation on inclines. its pulled a few moose and a pile of honda's out of the bush.

Dyslexia When you see thing backwards to what they really are
Old 03-29-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
I have put around 6000k on three machines two 500 and aim finishing the trapping season off with a 700 with 3000k and I have never had a break down. I have had cv boots rip but never any thing that would leave me in the bush. I use them very hard all winter with diamond chains and studded front tires they see allot of rpm and spinning and they take the abuse without complant. if I were to buy another it be a Polaris.
Well there ya go,Some people abuse the hell out of thier machines,dont bother to maintain them then whine that the machine is junk.If its junk its because they made it that way.Polaris hasnt stayed in buisness this long by building junk.Niether has the other big manufacturers.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
haha thats a good one!! I never knew that was old either..

Callin BS on that one, you must be a ford man too.
no bs , i avoid driving over stuff that'll will bury me , i had 2 honda's 1 was a good quad , the second not worth the powder to blow it to hell . may have fudged the elevation a bit , my gps is a piece of crap . and for the record i do not and never will be a ford man
Old 03-30-2013, 09:13 AM

I have two 500's, an 06 and an 08 both are polaris. Both have 2 inch lift kits with 27 inch mud lite etr's and rad re-locates. Both of these have not givin me any trouble at all. The 06 needed a belt because i drove out to wypris to go ice fishing when it was -34 and burnt a belt. The 09 and older ones have the rad located a bit too low so that needs to be kept clean to stop overheating issues. I would stay away from the new 00 series as they are carberated and the 50 series are injected but thats just me, there is a considerable cost savings there tho. Polaris is a bit heavier but the ride is amazing and the paint options are much better that the typical flat colours that most manufactures offer. My two are both limited editions with metalic paint and nice decals with alum. rims. They have true all 4 wheel drive as well, other manufactures only have three and some have an optional diff lock switch. As for other brands, i dont know anyone who owns a susiki, Kawasaki or an artic cat and I ride with lots of diferent people so take that for what its worth. Canams have a crap load of power and some model years have frame issues but I hate yellow lol. Tough to go wrong with a Yamaha too, good all round machine. Honda usually low on power not that long ago they were all a standard shift with rough, poor suspension, but they are dependable.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:16 AM

i agree quads are getting too complex with the elrctric shift and power steering and all that crap. makes for nice ride but what happens when that crap breaks down way back in the bush
I have a 2007 honda 500 manual shift had a problem with battery but thats about it.
As for polaris i had buddy with an older sportsman 300 i think it was and he hated it always broke down on him but in my opinion that can happen with any of the major brands. Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks
Old 03-30-2013, 12:00 PM

I owned a Polaris for an entire week once. Took it back to the dealership and got a real quad.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:21 PM
Banned

I put approx 2-3000kms/yr on my Polaris sportsman 500 (second 500 ive owned) I put a clutch kit, pipe, 2.5" wheel spacers and bigger tires. It's a 2004 model and has only needed ball joints, a couple bearings and brakes. I've replaced a few boots but that's with any bike running CV axles.

I pull a tandem axle tub trailer in the mountains and foothills working the crap out of it. If anythings going to blow up a bike pulling heavy loads will do it.

As for being no good on muskeg I'd put my pink card against any Honda or Yamaha in the same size class!
Old 03-30-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOG View Post
I owned a Polaris for an entire week once. Took it back to the dealership and got a real quad.
ya,,,im sure you did
Old 03-30-2013, 04:00 PM

I love my Polaris, I have video of me going through muskeggy mud that a Kawi Brute Force got stuck in. He then re-tried to go through because I made it through and he was stuck again. This is my third Polaris. First one I spent lots of time fixing, it was a 94 with a chain drive. No issues with the second one, 2004.5 500 HO and no issues with my third one, 2012 500 HO. I use it mostly for hauling big logs and such for firewood out of the bush. IMO, best machine ever. True 4WD and lots of power, never an issue with belts or anything, best in class for its price. Under $6k brand new with upgraded tires, hard to beat that!!!
Old 03-30-2013, 06:35 PM

IMO Polaris has the best four wheel drive System with their AWD hands down and I've owned all brands except for can am and kawi.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:56 AM

I have old Smokey a 93 Boss 350 L 4x4 2 stroke.

Bought used in 96 for cheap as it needed an engine rebuild.
Orig owner neglected/forgot to re-fill the 2 stroke oil reservoir.

Must have over 12K on it now as the secondhand odometer I found for it quit working at 6k. About 10 years ago.

I don't neglect it but I have worked it mercilessly year round for the last 16 years. From Moose to Fertilizer spreaders.
It has hauled/dragged/carried everything I have ever hitched roped or hung on it. Exposed to the elements year round, never garaged. It starts at 40 above or 40 below.

It has been there and back again, time after time. Usually with a extra passenger.

Wear and tear maintainace done when its needed. CV boots, Clutch springs, tires, carb kit, rear chain and sprockets.

I have used or tried out damn near every make of quad utv ever made at work or guiding,
Old Smokey has outlived them all. Could blow up tomorrow and would not owe me a dime. LOL
Old 03-31-2013, 08:50 AM

The group that I ride with are all Polaris. Out of an average of 10 machines per trip, the only one that I seen get pulled was one that rolled down a river for a ways. Busted a few things up and got a few things wet. Not really the brands fault on that one. IMO, it has been easier to ride a Polaris harder and therefore it may require a little more TLC. Hondas don't breakdown because you canonly travel 15 mph across the rough stuff where a Polaris can be ridden at 30.

Not saying that Hondas are a bad machine at all. I just prefer the Polaris.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:31 PM

Default I've got two

Got two 2009 sportsmans. I've taken them everywhere. Hunting and trail riding and had no issues and no repairs. Don't listen to anyone that says one brand is junk. All quads are reliable now. Pick what fits you and your price range.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:13 PM

My 2012 ranger 6x6 kicks *****, i have been a yamy and honda guy all my life and thought polaris was junk and i still think is was back in the day, but the new ones are built great and to last.
Old 04-06-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woyer4 View Post
My 2012 ranger 6x6 kicks *****, i have been a yamy and honda guy all my life and thought polaris was junk and i still think is was back in the day, but the new ones are built great and to last.
Just curious as to why you bought a Polaris if you thought they were junk and were a Yamy and Honda guy all your life? Again, just curious.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:13 PM

I sure like my 05 yamaha 450 kodiak. I have had minor problems with it that were my fault for breaking through some ice on a deep road puddle and sinking it and had to be towed home. But so far so good. I am still nervous going out alone as way back in the seventies when we had the early skidoos we never went out without towing someone home. I still remember putting the spark plug in the oven to heat it up so I could get the machine to start. So yes there is improvement in machines year by year.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:18 PM

Do yourself a favour, and go Can Am!

I have a 2013 Outlander 1000 xt in camo, and love it! Plenty of power when you need it, and comfortable on the slow roll too! I've had it out with groups of buddies with all different makes, and it hands down outperforms them all!!

-Mad
Old 04-06-2013, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcarpenter View Post
Do yourself a favour, and go Can Am!

I have a 2013 Outlander 1000 xt in camo, and love it! Plenty of power when you need it, and comfortable on the slow roll too! I've had it out with groups of buddies with all different makes, and it hands down outperforms them all!!

-Mad
can am's are cool but you need to be a lottery winner to afford the purchase price. that being said if i ever get enough spare cash to replace the old polaris can am is one that i'd really think about before i bought another polaris.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:41 PM

You will hear all sort of opinions here, mostly from people who personally do not own a polaris.
Anyhow, I have 800 sportsman, never had an issue at all, good hard hunting vehicle in snow, mud and does well in muskeg with improved tires (mudlites).

I can only recommend it. And I had a kawasaki before and a buddy of mine has a grizzly, I have a lot less quad issues (like none) compared to him.

anyhow, go with your gut, don't let people here scare you.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:03 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOG View Post
It must have been a week of misery! Honda all the way, got two of the old fourtrax which they dont make anymore because the dealerships never see them back for b.s. maintenence...bullet proof!
Old 04-07-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazeau View Post
Just curious as to why you bought a Polaris if you thought they were junk and were a Yamy and Honda guy all your life? Again, just curious.
I needed something that was capable of hauling a large load and polaris ranger 6x6 was the only option so I tried it. I also had heard some good things about the newer ones.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:17 PM

They have great tow hooks I pull them out all the time with my Arctic cat. Sadly Polaris has fallen way behind in the quad department, they are heavy, and not very powerful. Save a lot of hardship and get yourself a big bore AC mud pro, add some option and you will have the ultimate hunting quad.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapper View Post
They have great tow hooks I pull them out all the time with my Arctic cat. Sadly Polaris has fallen way behind in the quad department, they are heavy, and not very powerful. Save a lot of hardship and get yourself a big bore AC mud pro, add some option and you will have the ultimate hunting quad.
you have an "arctic cat" and criticize a polaris ? that's funny !
Old 04-07-2013, 09:13 PM

Can-Am all the way!!!

It's going to take all kinds of options to get the
"big bore" Arctic Cat 1000 (65hp) even close to the stock Can-Am 1000 (82hp).

I have friends with all the different makes/models, and they all at times have their issues/problems. The way I see it is, a "High Performance" machine with high horsepower should be able to withstand years and be very reliable for the slow rolling use of a hunting ATV. And when called upon for some hard use or heavy grunt work, be able to handle it with ease.

-Mad
Old 04-12-2013, 07:38 AM

I own both Honda and Polaris. I bought a Honda in 08, a Foreman 500, only had to fix a few minor problems with it since I bought it new, brake cable, wheel alignment and one CV boot.They all get regular preventative maintenance, oils, filter etc. Everyone always told me don't buy a Polaris, they're junk. Well I bought one anyway, actually two, because all the people that were telling me they were junk had never actually even owned one and I'm not one to run with the flock especially on hear say, I'll make my own decisions based on my own experiences. The first Polaris I bought was a 93 and it was junk but that's because I bought it as junk, it's a 93 and nothing was ever done to it. I made the necessary repairs to the chains and sprockets, water pump and electrical system, brakes, tires and it now runs great, has for the last 10 years. I have no complaints with it, none! I have an an 07, 800 Stealth and it performs flawlessly. The only thing I don't like about it is that only has a 4 gallon tank and it drinks the gas but that's my own fault because it has power and I use it all. I also carry an extra gallon of fuel so problem solved. I would have to say that 90% of the longevity of a quads service life is dependant on the person sitting on the seat in control of the go button and the direction they point it. If you look after it and fix what is broke when its needed it will last you a long time no matter what make it is, and that goes for any mechanical device, truck, car, boat and so on. My Dad told me a long time ago if it has t#ts, tracks or tires you'll have nothing but trouble with it if you don't look after it. Good luck to you, safe riding and keep the rubber side down no matter what decision you make.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:45 AM

I'm running two Polaris's now. Had a Honda, was tired of crappy 4x4 and no brakes.
I think in the long run Polaris might be more maintenance than some, but the 4x4, brakes and never ending pulling ability (thus the heavier weight) make up for any shortcomings. A heavy machine doesnt bother me, thats why I put a winch on it. Mileage? I take 10 gallons of gas for 4 day hunt and usually end up bringing some out.
The days of throwing trikes and 300's around when we're stuck in the mud are gone now anyway. Any machine over 500cc weighs between 5 and 700 lbs. Just put a good winch on. Anything over 2500# winch you'll need an extra battery or a heavier stator or wire guage change etc........
Our moose camp is a 12 mile trip, we hand pull our machines as little as we can. Tow ropes and winch are the way to go.
And If yer half handy with a wrench there isn't a quad out there that is hard to fix.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapper View Post
I see a lot of those big bore mud pros ( from all makes) lose the front rack to a new rad placement to prevent over heating. A quad without a front rack may not be considered "ultimate" for hunting.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:39 PM

polaris a 99- 500 an 01-500 a 04-700 an 08-800 and a 2012-850 All excellent machines. Not bad units by any means, mostly bad riders and maintainers. Still have 04 & 08 & 12 , have rode them from Cochrane mountains to Seibert muskeg to hauling bales on the farm. On the other hand Honda 300/450 and even 250 quads on the family farm and for what they do with them they work great. But a day ride on hard ruff trails will make a decision pretty easy. Typically when you are hunting you are doing that, not mud bogging for 8 hours. When you do that they all have problems. Try them all and make your own decision.

Cant wait to hear from all of you!!
Old 04-13-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
They are extremely heavy, which gives them a smooth ride, but it certainly isn't a good thing in the muskeg. They are improving, but they still don't compete with Honda or Yamaha as far as reliability goes.
What he said, I had a 600 twin for a while, very smooth on a winter road, useless in tight quarters, got stuck alot.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:12 PM

I've had. Polaris, Yamaha and Honda. Can't beat the Honda for reliability but the ride and engineering sucks. Yamaha and Paris are much nicer to ride but can be less reliable if neglected.

If Honda engineers got their heads out of their ***** and offered real features and better power, I'd but on again...