Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-28-2023, 07:00 AM

Default Sunday hunting

Just want to know if you can hunt elk with a special hunting draw in area 150 on Sundays.
Old 09-28-2023, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
Just want to know if you can hunt elk with a special hunting draw in area 150 on Sundays.
No hunting of "Big Game" on Sundays in any 100s WMU other than WMU 166
Old 09-28-2023, 08:20 AM

I see Wednesday to Saturday for for deer but not moose and elk where it lists the season

It might be written somewhere else though
Old 09-28-2023, 11:11 AM

no sunday hunting of big game in the 100's
Old 09-28-2023, 11:23 AM

You can hunt big game Sundays in 162, 163, 164 and 166 as per page 45 of the current regulation booklet.
Old 09-28-2023, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbg498 View Post
You can hunt big game Sundays in 162, 163, 164 and 166 as per page 45 of the current regulation booklet.
That is a FACT, I read it also.
Old 09-29-2023, 05:19 PM

Does anyone know why you can’t hunt Sunday-Tuesday in the 100 units? Please enlighten me.
Old 09-29-2023, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanslays View Post
Does anyone know why you can’t hunt Sunday-Tuesday in the 100 units? Please enlighten me.
Gives the ranchers and animals a break. Not much big game stuff in the 100's and pressure is very concentrated.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-29-2023, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanslays View Post
Bible Belt

The politically influential landowners/leaseholders don’t want to be disturbed by the peasants on Sunday.
Old 09-30-2023, 07:18 PM

Maybe an attempt to get a few more butts in seats at the magic show.
Old 10-01-2023, 09:36 AM

Contacted Lethbridge fish and wildlife and medicinehat they told me not sure so they told me to contact realm so I did and the woman there said she's not sure and that she had to talk to some one and said she would phone back 15 minutes latter she phoned back and said there's no hunting on Sundays on all wmus .
Old 10-01-2023, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
Maybe an attempt to get a few more butts in seats at the magic show.
You know, if you actually picked out a church to go sit in, and have an open mind, you may come out a better man. Your digs at church get tiresome, Hunter. And it really doesn’t matter where you grew up or who you were exposed to. Judging billions of people, as you often do in snarky comments about church, whether it be in a school thread or Sunday hunting, gets tiresome man. Be better.
Old 10-01-2023, 10:11 AM

The idea of no Sunday hunting goes back to when stores were closed on Sundays as well. No ifs ands or buts, it was a product of religion, where everything shut down on Sunday. But as society has changed, so have the rules and business practises. But as long as that group of landowners have influence, we will have no Sunday hu ting in that location.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 10-01-2023 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-01-2023, 02:28 PM

As often as I was happy to have the Sunday hunting when I was young in a few select zones, I do wish we were back to no hunting on Sundays for the vast majority of the province. It gives the game and all of us a chance to have a day of rest. As I get older I understand the benefits of the break. Realizing that it limits many people that not get weekends off, I do still feel there is value in it.
Old 10-01-2023, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Eagle View Post
As often as I was happy to have the Sunday hunting when I was young in a few select zones, I do wish we were back to no hunting on Sundays for the vast majority of the province. It gives the game and all of us a chance to have a day of rest. As I get older I understand the benefits of the break. Realizing that it limits many people that not get weekends off, I do still feel there is value in it.
So why not give the game a weekday off instead of Sunday? What difference would it make to the game? As to people, nobody is forcing you to hunt, you can take a day off, whenever you please.
Old 10-01-2023, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So why not give the game a weekday off instead of Sunday? What difference would it make to the game? As to people, nobody is forcing you to hunt, you can take a day off, whenever you please.
Those who grant us access to their private lands appreciate the day off on the weekend. Game knows no difference as to what day it is.
Old 10-01-2023, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Those who grant us access to their private lands appreciate the day off on the weekend. Game knows no difference as to what day it is.
Those who give us access can specify when we can have access, if they don't want us hunting on Sunday,
then they specify no access on Sunday. There is no need to legislate no hunting on Sunday.
Old 10-01-2023, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Those who give us access can specify when we can have access, if they don't want us hunting on Sunday,
then they specify no access on Sunday. There is no need to legislate no hunting on Sunday.
Honestly Elk, if the regulations were changed here there would be less lands to enjoy. This coming from someone who has lived here for many decades as well as hold tracks of land which others enjoy..
Old 10-01-2023, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Honestly Elk, if the regulations were changed here there would be less lands to enjoy. This coming from someone who has lived here for many decades as well as hold tracks of land which others enjoy..
I have hunted the effected area multiple times, after obtaining permission from the landowners. The landowner gave us permission for specific days, so if he didn't want us hunting on a specific day, all that he had to do was say no hunting on that specific day, he didn't need provincial legislation to accomplish that. The no hunting on Sunday has zero basis in logic, it is 100% because of certain people's religious beliefs, that are being forced on hunters.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 10-01-2023 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-01-2023, 04:59 PM

Quote:
I have hunted the effected area multiple times, after obtaining permission from the landowners. The landowner gave us permission for specific days, so if he didn't want us hunting on a specific day, all that he had to do was say no hunting on that specific day, he didn't need provincial legislation to accomplish that.
So, because you have hunted this area a few times you feel your limited experience is enough that the current legislation should be changed ? You don't think other have lobbied to have this changed ? They have, but those who are familiar with this area know how poorly it will be received and the actual damage to our sport and access it would do.

Those who grant us access don't need more pressure, this is something we all need to understand to pass our heritage to future generations to enjoy.
Old 10-01-2023, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I have hunted the effected area multiple times, after obtaining permission from the landowners. The landowner gave us permission for specific days, so if he didn't want us hunting on a specific day, all that he had to do was say no hunting on that specific day, he didn't need provincial legislation to accomplish that. The no hunting on Sunday has zero basis in logic, it is 100% because of certain people's religious beliefs, that are being forced on hunters.
You changed your post but glad you brought up what you have again. You mind explaining to myself why our big game season runs only 16 days in November then ? I was under the impression that each week only has one Sunday
Old 10-01-2023, 05:04 PM

Quote:
So, because you have hunted this area a few times you feel your limited experience is enough that the current legislation should be changed ? You don't think other have lobbied to have this changed ? They have, but those who are familiar with this area know how poorly it will be received and the actual damage to our sport and access it would do.

Those who grant us access don't need more pressure, this is something we all need to understand to pass our heritage to future generations to enjoy.
What I am saying, is let's not make up excuses for the current legislation , let's just admit that the legislation has nothing to do with game management, or with concern for the animals or the hunters, it is 100% based on the religious belief of certain landowners.
Old 10-01-2023, 05:12 PM

Quote:
What a load of fluff. Farmers and ranchers are tired of people wheeling into their yards early Sunday mornings demanding to be let on leases. They would like one day off, that's it that's all. And yes it happens all the time ducks geese pheasants as well. Hunting in the SE is very concentrated to small game holding areas, those farmers and ranchers are inundated with requests, I for one do not begrudge these folks a day of rest. Yes you and all the other great hunters do things right, but you are a minority. Lots of azz hats think nothing of showing up at 7am and asking can I shoot the deer in your yard.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-01-2023, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
What a load of fluff. Farmers and ranchers are tired of people wheeling into their yards early Sunday mornings demanding to be let on leases. They would like one day off, that's it that's all. And yes it happens all the time ducks geese pheasants as well. Hunting in the SE is very concentrated to small game holding areas, those farmers and ranchers are inundated with requests, I for one do not begrudge these folks a day of rest. Yes you and all the other great hunters do things right, but you are a minority. Lots of azz hats think nothing of showing up at 7am and asking can I shoot the deer in your yard.
So they aren't tired of people rolling into the yard early Saturday morning demanding access to leases? How about Friday, or Thursday? If it really is a matter of having one day of nobody bothering them, why can't it be one of the six days other than Sunday? We all know why Sunday has to be that one day, so why not just admit it?
Old 10-01-2023, 05:34 PM

Quote:
So they aren't tired of people rolling into the yard early Saturday morning demanding access to leases? How about Friday, or Thursday? If it really is a matter of having one day of nobody bothering them, why can't it be one of the six days other than Sunday? We all know why Sunday has to be that one day, so why not just admit it?
You are one of those folks that just keeps doubling down. Sunday is a traditional day of rest for most folks. I know a lot of ranchers and farmers, those that go to church I could count on one hand. But they are all in favor of no hunting Sundays. You are a visitor to the south, don't try and pretend you know how the majority of ranchers feel.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-01-2023, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
You are one of those folks that just keeps doubling down. Sunday is a traditional day of rest for most folks. I know a lot of ranchers and farmers, those that go to church I could count on one hand. But they are all in favor of no hunting Sundays. You are a visitor to the south, don't try and pretend you know how the majority of ranchers feel.
Well at least I did get you to admit that the real reason those people oppose Sunday hunting , is because Sunday has been a traditional day of rest for some people. It doesn't matter if they go to church or not, Sunday being a traditional day of rest, is due to religious beliefs. Yet many people will make up all kinds of nonsense about the animals needing a day of rest, or other excuses, to avoid admitting that no hunting on Sunday has any connection to religion.
Old 10-01-2023, 05:57 PM

Quote:
The idea of no Sunday hunting goes back to when stores were closed on Sundays as well. No ifs ands or buts, it was a product of religion, where everything shut down on Sunday. But as society has changed, so have the rules and business practises. But as long as that group of landowners have influence, we will have no Sunday hu ting in that location.
The government did give you one more day of hunting. It was too long ago where you could only hunt Thursday, Friday and Saturday. They gave you the Wednesday, but I guess it’s all about the me crowd.
Old 10-01-2023, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
The government did give you one more day of hunting. It was too long ago where you could only hunt Thursday, Friday and Saturday. They gave you the Wednesday, but I guess it’s all about the me crowd.
Me being retired, one day is as good as the rest, but many people work Monday to Friday, or go to school, so Wednesday doesn't help them, but Sunday would double their opportunities, and their children's opportunities.
Old 10-01-2023, 06:08 PM

If people were respectful to the farmers to begin with much of this kerfuffle would be short-circuited from the get go. Who on earth would knock on a farmer’s door at that time in the morning. Ridiculous.

I’ve always found farmers to be more fair in their responses than most groups.

On the way home to the city from Daysland release site, I saw a family taking a break from harvest and. Having a big dinner. I pulled into the field and thanked them all for putting food on our tables, and told them that I always considered people who put the seeds in the ground, at the top of my respect scale.
Old 10-01-2023, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Well at least I did get you to admit that the real reason those people oppose Sunday hunting , is because Sunday has been a traditional day of rest for some people. It doesn't matter if they go to church or not, Sunday being a traditional day of rest, is due to religious beliefs. Yet many people will make up all kinds of nonsense about the animals needing a day of rest, or other excuses, to avoid admitting that no hunting on Sunday has any connection to religion.
And I'm out.

Thomas Sowell