Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-24-2018, 07:08 PM

Default I finally Bought a Montana. PIC added

Well, after putting it off for a few years I finally bit the bullet and bought a lightweight hunting rifle. I picked up a used Montana in 7-8 off of "another forum". It looks to be in good shape but definitely has seen some use. I will be putting a scope on it tonight and then hopefully off to the range tomorrow.

My plan is to see if I really like the idea of an ultra lightweight rifle or if I really like this rifle. If I like it and it's a shooter I will probably keep it but if I like it but it doesn't shoot for some reason (other than me. lol) I will probably try out a Barrett Fieldcraft. I will probably put on a lighter scope next season if I decide that the UL route with a blind mag is something that I really like. It will also give me some time to save up for a nicer scope.

My only real question(s) is has anyone here that's had a Montana in 7-08 feed it factory ammo? If so what did it like or not like? Also has anyone on here sold there 7-08 and if so I was curious if I might have your "old" rifle? You can PM me and I'm sure that we could figure out if that is the case. I would be curious to hear about it's history.

As far as scopes go I think a Swaro is the way to go? Does anyone have one for a decent price or something similair, Vx3i, Leica, Conquest, Meopro etc in a 3x9 or 2x10?
Thanks.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard

Last edited by Zuludog; 10-24-2018 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:06 AM

Default Montana?

A Kimber Montana or a rifle from Montana rifle company?
Old 10-25-2018, 09:34 AM

A Kimber Montana.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-25-2018, 09:37 AM
Banned

Good choice.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:42 AM

Thanks. Don't suppose you have a Z3 for sale?
Old 10-25-2018, 10:59 AM

Default Z3

Good choice on the scope and Prophet River at Lloyd have what l believe are the best prices for these high quality scopes. Good luck.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauvalkid View Post
Good choice on the scope and Prophet River at Lloyd have what l believe are the best prices for these high quality scopes. Good luck.
Thanks.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:18 PM

I also just picked up a used 7-08 Montana. I grabbed some Hornady American Whitetail 139g. It was as cheap as buying brass. I just need to stick to 2 shot groups lol

I’ve only had it to range once and would consistently put first two touching or very close then third shot would be around an inch out. It could very well be me. Felt recoil is dick all, but these little rifles are pretty unforgiving on hold, compared to a pound or two heavier rifle.

Right now I have a VXIII 2.5-8 on it, but may throw a FXII 4x on it. I will definitely need some off hand practice, definitely not muzzle heavy.

Good luck.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:10 PM

Well finally got around to mounting a scope and headed out to the range. Took awhile to get sighted in mostly due to some mental math errors on my part, I should have been dialing more than I did.

I have to say that so far so good. The trigger is excellent and the rifle cycles really well. While the bolt is (slightly) nicer on my Sako A7 the trigger is better on the Kimber. To be fair though it is also about 1.5-2lbs lighter too. I didn't have a lot of light/time so I was in a rush and while I let the barrel cool between shots, if I was shooting for groups I like to think that I probably could have done better if taking more time and allowing for more cooling. "Excuses" aside this rifle definitely has potential and my reservations about Kimber accuracy so far have been unfounded.

I didn't attach a picture of the 100M target as it was all over as I dialed it in wrong (see above) but I took 3 shots at 200M and two at a 300M target. I only took 2 at 300M as it was getting late and being OCD I didn't want to open a new box to use one round.lol Therefore no picture of that one either.

My group at 200M shows definite potential as it measured around 1-3/8" center to center. The 2 shots at 300M were under 3" too. This was with factory ammo and was my first time shooting a rifle this light, so I am pleased.

The true test will be carrying it this weekend while I hunt, (finally) but I'm sure it will pass with flying colours. I don't know if it will pass the truck hunting test though. Sometimes if I am feeling lazy and don't feel like hiking or if I'm hunting with others who like to truck hunt, I don't think the Kimber will be as convenient as having a rifle with a detachable magazine. I guess we will see if I like the reduced weight and better trigger vs having a removable magazine?

The jury is still out but I can definitely see why the Kimber Montanas have their fans. If it continues to show the accuracy that it displayed today, it could see itself in my safe for quite awhile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kimber at 200M.jpg (78.8 KB, 119 views)
Old 10-26-2018, 02:06 PM

You won't regret a Montana. My favorite rifle.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:04 PM

I know kimbers are controlled feed, but so is my ruger hawkeye. My ruger hawkeye extractor claw has enough flex in it and a bevel on the claw, so it can push onto the rim of a loose fed round. Can kimber bolt claw jump onto a loose fed round?
Old 10-26-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
I know kimbers are controlled feed, but so is my ruger hawkeye. My ruger hawkeye extractor claw has enough flex in it and a bevel on the claw, so it can push onto the rim of a loose fed round. Can kimber bolt claw jump onto a loose fed round?
I haven’t tried just throwing a loose round in and closing the bolt on mine. I can tell you mine will take a loose round no problem with a little squeeze on the extractor, while closing the bolt. I’ve never tried closing a controlled feed bolt on a loose round without squeezing extractor.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
I haven’t tried just throwing a loose round in and closing the bolt on mine. I can tell you mine will take a loose round no problem with a little squeeze on the extractor, while closing the bolt. I’ve never tried closing a controlled feed bolt on a loose round without squeezing extractor.
Is the front of the claw beveled to induce a jump onto the rim? Id appreciate if someone could test closing the bolt on a loose round, without using your hand to squeeze the claw bar. The stores dont let you test this sort of thing pre purchase
Old 10-26-2018, 04:58 PM

I was feeding it single rounds yesterday by just dropping a round into the chamber and closing the bolt. No problems whatsoever.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
I was feeding it single rounds yesterday by just dropping a round into the chamber and closing the bolt. No problems whatsoever.
Sweet. And that is the same action design as all the other controlled round feed kimber rifles? And that is a 7mm-08?
Old 10-26-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Sweet. And that is the same action design as all the other controlled round feed kimber rifles? And that is a 7mm-08?
I think so but I am not 100% sure as this is my first Kimber. Maybe someone else can chime in? Mine is a 7-08.😀
Old 10-26-2018, 06:09 PM
Banned

Are you going to burn some more powder with it this weekend?

I miss my Montana, I’m kicking myself for selling it.

My next rifle might be another Montana.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Are you going to burn some more powder with it this weekend?

I miss my Montana, I’m kicking myself for selling it.

My next rifle might be another Montana.
Only if I see a buck or bull elk😀
Old 10-26-2018, 06:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuludog View Post
Only if I see a buck or bull elk😀
Well I sure hope you gun goes pop this weekend!

Good luck!!!
Old 10-26-2018, 06:43 PM

Thanks
Old 10-26-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I’ve got 84m, 84l and 8400 actions and they’ll all chamber a round thrown in on top.
I read an article on that once, it’s a different type of crf that HAS to pick the round up from the magazine. I can’t remember the nuances between them but the kimber action doesn’t care if you throw one in the spout and close the bolt on it.

I’ve read plenty of the kimbers that shoot two touching and one an inch out. Read about it all over the web. I’ve only had a few kimbers but the ones I’ve still got shoot cloverleafs with their preferred load. I don’t let it cool between shots either. I run three through it fairly quickly as I don’t want to hunt with a rifle that starts stringing shots. Between groups I let it cool. My guess is you guys are watching the group develop and the flyer is cause something got in your head. Any of you guys with this problem shoot four or five rounds? Does it keep stringing shots?