Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-10-2019, 09:02 PM
Banned

Default Front sight removal

I’m refinishing an old model 70 push feed and would like to remove the front sight, I’m just worried if I get it hot enough to melt the solder that I might inadvertently warp or bend the barrel. Does anyone have any insight into this, and I better off to just leave it? When my scope is at low power I can see the the front sight, little bothersome.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:23 PM

I watched an old gunsmith take off the front sight of a Model 70 (1975). Barrel never changed colour.
Old 09-10-2019, 10:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybert View Post
I watched an old gunsmith take off the front sight of a Model 70 (1975). Barrel never changed colour.
Did he tap on it? I was thinking of putting it upside down and heating the sight up until it fell off.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:20 AM

Yes he did. From what I can remember, it was a small plastic mallet.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:51 AM

If you're worried about doing some damage why not just take it into Edmonton's old gunsmith, Henrickson, and let him do it. Shouldn't take long.

Always good to have someone else to blame in times of catastrophic failure. "Hey...you warped my barrel...make me a new one."
Old 09-11-2019, 06:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
If you're worried about doing some damage why not just take it into Edmonton's old gunsmith, Henrickson, and let him do it. Shouldn't take long.

Always good to have someone else to blame in times of catastrophic failure. "Hey...you warped my barrel...make me a new one."
Lol, it’s like my buddy says “I drive a Ford because I like the challenge”. I like to learn how to do things, and this is just a project rifle so in case of catistrophic failure I’m not going to be out my go to Hunting rig. I still would like to do it correctly though.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:58 AM

Default there may be two screws not solder

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...rts-list-70-pf
Old 09-11-2019, 07:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Ha! You might be right. I know there is one, I’ll have to look into it a little deeper.

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post

Or take it to this guy who has done 1000's of them over the years. Probably wont cost much other than the few minutes to go visit and learn a few things.
When dealing with some parts of your firearm there is no "oops that didn't work", it may end catastrophic before you ever knew what happened. when dealing with heat and tapping the end of a barrel when you are unsure.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
That was my thought. Haven't actually pulled one off yet but I thought they were screwed on not soldered
Old 09-11-2019, 09:05 AM

Default have a look

There is a hidden screw under the front sight base in the dovetail.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:57 AM
Banned

Default Catastrophe Diverted!

Thank you Pioneer 2, after I tapped the dovetail out right there it was, screw #2, was just barely snug.

Thanks again AO crowd, I sure wish I had a before picture of this rifle because it was beat up and tired looking for sure.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
That was my thought. Haven't actually pulled one off yet but I thought they were screwed on not soldered
Some have both, a screw and solder. The first part of my investigation started on YouTube, that’s where I found out it may have had solder on it.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:00 AM

Winchester front sights, at least from the factory are not soldered on, though someone might have later. Take the two screws out, when you tap the front blade out to get at the second screw tap left to right, most dovetails have a slight taper.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Winchester front suights, at least from the factory are not soldered on, though someone might have later. Take the two screws out, when you tap the front blade out to get at the second screw tap left to right, most dovetails have a slight taper.
On my right handed rifle I tapped from the bolt handle side and it slid out.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
On my right handed rifle I tapped from the bolt handle side and it slid out.
You can get them out either way, just lose the taper by pushing it out the wrong direction. IF you are taking them off permanently it is no big deal.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
You can get them out either way, just lose the taper by pushing it out the wrong direction. IF you are taking them off permanently it is no big deal.
It will only go that way, I can’t put it in the other direction.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
It will only go that way, I can’t put it in the other direction.
That is REALLY wierd. There is even a published gunsmith rule, install from the right, remove from the left. I have NEVER seen a north american made pin, dovetail or what ever that was tapered larger on the left and smaller on the right. Some pistols like Glock, Sig etc are the other way round however so not impossible, just unusual for a Winchester to be made that way. Glad you got it out. Did you get the sight ramp off okay?
Old 09-12-2019, 05:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
That is REALLY wierd. There is even a published gunsmith rule, install from the right, remove from the left. I have NEVER seen a north american made pin, dovetail or what ever that was tapered larger on the left and smaller on the right. Some pistols like Glock, Sig etc are the other way round however so not impossible, just unusual for a Winchester to be made that way. Glad you got it out. Did you get the sight ramp off okay?
It all came of slick as seagull chit. It tapped out easily and I put the screw back in the hole then slid the sight back in with my hand about half way until it snugged up so I don’t lose the screw, it wouldn’t go in the other way. I’ll take a pic when I get back home. To be clear, it came out the left and goes back in towards the right.