Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2017, 01:35 PM

Default AFGA, Budget Leaves Alberta's Fish and Wildlife in the Dark!

So much for enforcement, more banning on the way?

http://www.afga.org/pdf/NEWS/NR2017/...-20-Budget.pdf

Budget Leaves Alberta’s Fish and Wildlife in the Dark!
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
(Edmonton March 21, 2017)…
Alberta’s largest and original conservation organization, the Alberta Fish & Game Association (AFGA) is greatly disappointed with the recent release of Alberta’s 2017 Budget insofar as it affects fish and wildlife.
Of the $54.9 billion in total expense that the Provincial Government has budgeted only $44 million, or a meagre 8%, has been allocated to fish and wildlife both of which are coming more and more under stress as development continues and Alberta becomes more of a destination not only for those wishing to live here but also those that come here to enjoy our natural treasures firsthand.
Included in the budgeted amount is support for provincial woodland caribou management and recovery and the containment and management of whirling disease recently detected in Alberta. These two items alone could easily use up the budgeted fish and wildlife dollars.
“It is alarming at the rate that our Government has continually diminished the role that the Fish and Wildlife Departments, and their predecessor departments are undergoing,” said AFGA President Doug Butler, “to the point that it leaves the impression that government views our wild resources as totally unimportant.”
To put things into greater perspective the Reynolds-Alberta Museum in Wetaskiwin will receive $40 million over the next four years to build a new facility for the museum’s collectables.
A further $149 million is allocated over four years, almost the equivalent to the fish and wildlife budget on an annual basis, to restore the aged University of Alberta’s Dentistry Pharmacy building.
The AFGA implores the Government of Alberta to give consideration to greater inclusiveness of all that Alberta has to offer such as its fish and wildlife populations.
The Alberta Fish and Game Association is a not-for-profit volunteer organization proud to serve Albertans in the promotion of the wise use of our fish and wildlife resources and the conservation of their habitats. The AFGA has been active since 1908 in working towards these goals and has a province-wide membership of more than 25,000 individuals spread among 80+ Clubs.
-30-
Old 03-22-2017, 01:46 PM

It will only get worse as the government spends more money servicing the debt, and less on things of value.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
It will only get worse as the government spends more money servicing the debt, and less on things of value.
I agree its sad how little Fish and Wildlife gets in the budget overall, but this has been the case forever. Does AFGA always put out such critical releases or only when Governments are orange?

Note that Fish and Wildlife got a 90% INCREASE in funding this year.

2014-2015 $23 million
2015-2016 $24 million
2015-2016 $23 million
2017-2018 $44 million
Old 03-22-2017, 03:32 PM

They should have tried "imploring" before the budget was released, not after. AFGA has no clue how to lobby, campaign, or bring political pressure to bear.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjd View Post
I agree its sad how little Fish and Wildlife gets in the budget overall, but this has been the case forever. Does AFGA always put out such critical releases or only when Governments are orange?

2014-2015 $23 million
2015-2016 $24 million
2015-2016 $23 million
2017-2018 $44 million
I suppose you missed this little tidbit?

"Included in the budgeted amount is support for provincial woodland caribou management and recovery and the containment and management of whirling disease recently detected in Alberta. These two items alone could easily use up the budgeted fish and wildlife dollars."
Old 03-22-2017, 03:39 PM
Banned

Quote:

2014-2015 $23 million
2015-2016 $24 million
2015-2016 $23 million
2017-2018 $44 million
What was 2016-2017?
Old 03-22-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
They should have tried "imploring" before the budget was released, not after. AFGA has no clue how to lobby, campaign, or bring political pressure to bear.
The NDP have been ignoring stakeholders. Lot's of evidence to support this.

http://www.afga.org/pdf/NEWS/NR2017/...-15-Castle.pdf
Old 03-22-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
The NDP have been ignoring stakeholders. Lot's of evidence to support this.

http://www.afga.org/pdf/NEWS/NR2017/...-15-Castle.pdf
They listen to plenty of stakeholders, who get in their face, make their case, and threaten to give them political grief. "We weren't told about that or consulted" whine just doesn't cut it. You've got 25,000 members. Use them. You don't wait for a phone call. Do you think enviro organizations, many with much smaller memberships, wait for a phone call?

OK OK, I'll calm down. Let's just say I don't think the AFGA has been "assertive enough"

Last edited by Okotokian; 03-22-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:51 PM

$44,000,000 / $54,000,000,000 x 100 = .08 % of the budget not 8%
Old 03-22-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
Oh AFGA...
Old 03-22-2017, 04:00 PM

So if I've got this right.... the AFGA brought this to attention after the budget was released.. forgot to mention the increase in money.. and did the math wrong?
Old 03-22-2017, 04:07 PM

$44M / $54900M is not 8%. It's actually 0.08%.

EDIT: D'oh - someone beat me to it. Ah well.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
Yeah, that was my first thought too. DOH!

Sure diminishes your argument when you tell people that you're getting 8% of all government spending and you're upset about it.

What a screw up...
Old 03-22-2017, 06:13 PM

The link has been updated. Yes .08%.

http://www.afga.org/pdf/NEWS/NR2017/...-20-Budget.pdf
Old 03-22-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
They listen to plenty of stakeholders, who get in their face, make their case, and threaten to give them political grief. "We weren't told about that or consulted" whine just doesn't cut it. You've got 25,000 members. Use them. You don't wait for a phone call. Do you think enviro organizations, many with much smaller memberships, wait for a phone call?

OK OK, I'll calm down. Let's just say I don't think the AFGA has been "assertive enough"
I'll agree to that. Although this really isn't about the AFGA. It's about funding for the fish and wildlife office. They are just the messenger.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
I suppose you missed this little tidbit?

"Included in the budgeted amount is support for provincial woodland caribou management and recovery and the containment and management of whirling disease recently detected in Alberta. These two items alone could easily use up the budgeted fish and wildlife dollars."
Of course I didn't miss it. They doubled the budget and Alberta's oldest conservation organization is upset that it includes attention on a threatened species and whirling disease.

I'd have said thank you government for doubling budget but it still needs to be 10 times higher and it's more of a priority than museums etc etc.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Of course I didn't miss it. They doubled the budget and Alberta's oldest conservation organization is upset that it includes attention on a threatened species and whirling disease.

I'd have said thank you government for doubling budget but it still needs to be 10 times higher and it's more of a priority than museums etc etc.
Well let's just hope they actually increase funding for fish and wildlife officers. The money hasn't been allocated yet and our dear minister likes her pet projects. Now is the time to make a little bit of noise IMO.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:36 AM

If your read the latest Outdoors Mag, AFGA has been meeting with various ministers and departments trying to push the agenda for far more spending on Fish and Wildlife. The Minister of Wildlife can't be bothered to actually make the meetings she schedules with them, nor does she show up to speaking opportunities. She clearly gives a rats petut about what her constituents think.

Despite what the AFGA were told in the meetings with the various department heads, it didn't show up in the budget. That is why they are ticked with the outcome.

As to the 25,000 members, I think most of us vote in line with our beliefs on Wildlife management, hunting and firearms issues. It would be a lot more powerful lobby if there were 150,000 members.

To those that think the AFGA is not aggressive enough; clubs, districts and the overall association are always looking for active members to take on Big Game, Fish, Policy etc roles and you can have a direct impact. All roles are voluntary. Quit whining and criticising from your friggin arm chair. Start participating if you really want to make a difference.