Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-21-2017, 07:35 PM

Default Coyote hunt

Ive been having a tough time getting things to work out this year. I think it mostly has to do with the fact that Ive been trying to film all of my hunts myself and that is ultimately effecting my success. I guess its the price you pay. Regardless, this footage was too good not to share with anyone so here it is lads.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=460tixJPqpk

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2017, 08:47 PM
Banned

Default This turned out to be longer than expected, I wish I could video my hunts...

I feel your pain... It's called "hunting coyotes" for a reason, or else it would just be called "shooting coyotes".

Two days ago, I was hunting a spot where I've taken 3 in the last month or so. I know there's more in there, it's just a matter of "if" I can call 'em in or catch 'em crossing my path & put 'em in my crosshairs. But that day I was feeling, I guess, wound-up or up-tight. Overly anxious.

So I walk the mile in to the corner of this section, take a seat, and wait (forgot my mouth call in the truck). About 30 minutes goes by, nadda... I get up and glass my surroundings, 360 degrees, nothin's movin. I walk 100m west, stop & glass, still nothin. So I carry on another 100m, close to a group of trees I've seen yotes mulling around before (tall grass, probably lots of mice). I get there, and stop to glass...

I didn't even get the binos up to my face and I could see it, maybe 200m out in the stubble. I scrambled to set up, flipped open the 25" bipod as quiet as possible & sat down in the mud. I didn't bother ranging it with the range-finder (mistake # 1), and guessed about 200-250m. Totally forgot to set my elevation (#2), put the X-hairs on him & squeezed.

Saw him running, so I reloaded and found him in the scope while he slowed to a halt. Squeezed off the 2nd shot with the crosshair just on the front of his shoulder, and he took off again ! In a panic I ask myself what I was doing wrong, and start looking in the field to watch where it ran to while racking another round.

Just as I'm looking off into the field, I see movement just 150m from me to the right. Another coyote ! Musta been bedded down ! Oh crap, movement on my left, 300m out. Another one ! Oh crap, now 2 dogs moving on my right not just 1, maybe 200m away now !

I was such a mess, just wanting to kill one of them, I took another shot without realizing I hadn't set my elevation (#3)... Dogs run off over the crest of a hill and is gone ! Other dog to my left is now out of range... So I pack it in, and walk out disgusted. There's still an hour of sun left too.

This farmers section is split into 4 "strips" of land by 3 large hedgerows that run east-west. My access is a trail running the far east border, it's a mile (1600m) long. I get (almost) back to the truck and stop at the end of the last hedgerow to scan for any remaining coyotes. Sure enough, as I'm pulling out the binos I can see 1 running down the row ! Put the binos up, I see him walking AND another one laying down, barely 400-450m away. I'll give it a shot, try to stalk in on them.

I head down the edge of the row, trying to be as quite as possible, and the wind is still blowing strait past them towrds me. I make it to the crest of a high-spot, settle in, and range the one I saw laying down. 453m I think it was, maybe 433. Anyway, I realized my previous error and dialed my scope up (using the wrong temp/pressure/alt, mistake #4). Settled behind the rifle, and squeezed off what I thought was a good shot. I see the dog high-tail it clear across the strip of open field ! Gone...

I waited around for a minute, thinking "WTF did I do wrong this time ?"... Got up, gathered my stuff, wiped as much mud off my binos/rangefinder/bipod legs as I could, and stood there for another minute contemplating. Then it hit me, "the 2nd dog, I bet he's still here in the hedgerow, wait him out", so I did. Sure enough, 30 seconds later he pops out maybe 100m from me. I throw the rifle up thinking "I can't miss this guy", and realize my scope is till on 18x zoom and can't find him !

"There he is !"... Bang ! I look up to see a giant splash in the puddle he was standing in, just in front of him maybe 8-10 inches... He bolts, same MO as the last one - clear across the field and outta sight, both headed in the same direction (I know where their den is). I was thoroughly disappointed with myself, to say the least.

All said, I took 7 shots at 5 separate dogs (of the ~7 that I saw), didn't hit a single one of them...

Old 03-21-2017, 09:20 PM
Banned

Old 03-22-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
I feel your pain... It's called "hunting coyotes" for a reason, or else it would just be called "shooting coyotes".

Two days ago, I was hunting a spot where I've taken 3 in the last month or so. I know there's more in there, it's just a matter of "if" I can call 'em in or catch 'em crossing my path & put 'em in my crosshairs. But that day I was feeling, I guess, wound-up or up-tight. Overly anxious.

So I walk the mile in to the corner of this section, take a seat, and wait (forgot my mouth call in the truck). About 30 minutes goes by, nadda... I get up and glass my surroundings, 360 degrees, nothin's movin. I walk 100m west, stop & glass, still nothin. So I carry on another 100m, close to a group of trees I've seen yotes mulling around before (tall grass, probably lots of mice). I get there, and stop to glass...

I didn't even get the binos up to my face and I could see it, maybe 200m out in the stubble. I scrambled to set up, flipped open the 25" bipod as quiet as possible & sat down in the mud. I didn't bother ranging it with the range-finder (mistake # 1), and guessed about 200-250m. Totally forgot to set my elevation (#2), put the X-hairs on him & squeezed.

Saw him running, so I reloaded and found him in the scope while he slowed to a halt. Squeezed off the 2nd shot with the crosshair just on the front of his shoulder, and he took off again ! In a panic I ask myself what I was doing wrong, and start looking in the field to watch where it ran to while racking another round.

Just as I'm looking off into the field, I see movement just 150m from me to the right. Another coyote ! Musta been bedded down ! Oh crap, movement on my left, 300m out. Another one ! Oh crap, now 2 dogs moving on my right not just 1, maybe 200m away now !

I was such a mess, just wanting to kill one of them, I took another shot without realizing I hadn't set my elevation (#3)... Dogs run off over the crest of a hill and is gone ! Other dog to my left is now out of range... So I pack it in, and walk out disgusted. There's still an hour of sun left too.

This farmers section is split into 4 "strips" of land by 3 large hedgerows that run east-west. My access is a trail running the far east border, it's a mile (1600m) long. I get (almost) back to the truck and stop at the end of the last hedgerow to scan for any remaining coyotes. Sure enough, as I'm pulling out the binos I can see 1 running down the row ! Put the binos up, I see him walking AND another one laying down, barely 400-450m away. I'll give it a shot, try to stalk in on them.

I head down the edge of the row, trying to be as quite as possible, and the wind is still blowing strait past them towrds me. I make it to the crest of a high-spot, settle in, and range the one I saw laying down. 453m I think it was, maybe 433. Anyway, I realized my previous error and dialed my scope up (using the wrong temp/pressure/alt, mistake #4). Settled behind the rifle, and squeezed off what I thought was a good shot. I see the dog high-tail it clear across the strip of open field ! Gone...

I waited around for a minute, thinking "WTF did I do wrong this time ?"... Got up, gathered my stuff, wiped as much mud off my binos/rangefinder/bipod legs as I could, and stood there for another minute contemplating. Then it hit me, "the 2nd dog, I bet he's still here in the hedgerow, wait him out", so I did. Sure enough, 30 seconds later he pops out maybe 100m from me. I throw the rifle up thinking "I can't miss this guy", and realize my scope is till on 18x zoom and can't find him !

"There he is !"... Bang ! I look up to see a giant splash in the puddle he was standing in, just in front of him maybe 8-10 inches... He bolts, same MO as the last one - clear across the field and outta sight, both headed in the same direction (I know where their den is). I was thoroughly disappointed with myself, to say the least.

All said, I took 7 shots at 5 separate dogs (of the ~7 that I saw), didn't hit a single one of them...

Wow man that is unreal. Sorry to hear about your luck that day.
On the flip side, sometimes you can do EVERYTHING wrong and still end up with a good result. I've seen that happen many times hunting/fishing. It's days like you had that keep us coming back for redemption though!
Old 03-22-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post

Been there! Only mine was a wolf! I was feeding cows in the winter and I had set up a bait about a quarter mile from the feed pens in a cutline, I knew the wolves were around because there were tracks everywhere and they had run the cattle through the fence twice, so I was packing the old Mosin nagant in the tractor that I was using for feeding, so after I got done in the morning I grabbed the gun and walked through the bush to a spot that I would come onto the line about 100 yards from the bait, sure enough there's a black wolf digging right in, so I line up on him and let fly! He jumps up like his tail is on fire and lights out of there! Well I'm more than a little disappointed, but I know that sometimes this just happens, so I trudge on another half mile to an open field to have a look, sure enough there's 2 coyotes fooling around not more than 75 yards from me, it's mating season so I have a pretty good idea what it's all about and I just wait for them to settle down so I can get a good shot, sure enough they start coupling, I give them a minute to get "hooked up" then I line up on the female and squeeze off the shot, and I see the snow fly up about 10 feet in front of them! So I swallow my wounded pride and head back to the tractor, as I'm walking back I'm inspecting the rifle and that is when I saw that the front adjustable sight is about ready to fall off.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodieross View Post
Ive been having a tough time getting things to work out this year. I think it mostly has to do with the fact that Ive been trying to film all of my hunts myself and that is ultimately effecting my success. I guess its the price you pay. Regardless, this footage was too good not to share with anyone so here it is lads.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=460tixJPqpk

Nice footage Brodie.
I didn't watch the explanation at the end. What was the issue with the shot?
I know from personal experience that filming while hunting takes at least 50% of your concentration if not more. Ask SoloHunter's how they feel about that lol. In the end: mission accomplished. You outsmarted a pair of the wileyest (sp?) animals on the planet. Good work.

Side note, it surprising to me that your videos don't gain more traction around here. You do nice work. Keep it up
Old 03-22-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
Nice footage Brodie.
I didn't watch the explanation at the end. What was the issue with the shot?
I know from personal experience that filming while hunting takes at least 50% of your concentration if not more. Ask SoloHunter's how they feel about that lol. In the end: mission accomplished. You outsmarted a pair of the wileyest (sp?) animals on the planet. Good work.

Side note, it surprising to me that your videos don't gain more traction around here. You do nice work. Keep it up
Thanks wildwoods! I basically just screwed up I guess. Must have just nicked the body low or high or hit a leg or something. Yeah the filming defiantly makes it tough. But thanks for the compliment!