Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-20-2017, 02:50 PM

Default Lets Talk Turkey!!

Hi folks,
I was lucky enough to draw a spring turkey tag for this year, and I'm just finishing up my planning for the hunt. I was wondering if anyone can help point me in the right direction, as I have never hunted that end of the province before.

What is permission like in the 300's? I cant seem to track down any decent maps of crown land in the area!

Timing- is it better to be headed down in early or late may?

Any other pointers you guys can give me would be awesome!

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2017, 10:59 PM

Earlier is probably better than later, the gobbles will be slowing down later in the month. That's about all I can help, good luck!
Old 03-21-2017, 10:40 AM

Early may is good but you can kill a bird anytime until the end of season. If you don't have permission yet it might be a little harder once you get there as the hunt starts in 4 or 5 weeks and guys have been watching birds for a little bit. The crownland I have seen looks alright and you will find birds there but it gets hunted by guys learning so the birds get smart pretty quick. If you can find a place without poeple that would be ideal.

As far as pointers, definitely pattern your shotgun, turkey choke and turkey loads so you have an idea how things are shooting. Don't underestimate how tough a longbeard can be and get actual turkey loads.

I locate most of my birds with a hooter in the evening and occasionally a crow call during the day. Birds will shock gobble at a lot of things (truck doors slamming, trains, thunder), i'm always listening closely.

You don't need to be an expert caller and have half the gear most guys have but you should be practicing every couple days already, few minutes at a time is plenty. A slate call and a few strikers and maybe one or two mouth calls will do the trick, with one locator call. If you do not know how to condition a slate call there are youtube videos about how the pros do it and why. If you have experience elk hunting with diaphragm call you will pick up turkey calling with a mouth call fairly easily.

If you want, a box call will cut the wind well as it's higher pitched but in all my turkey hunting I have called in a single bird using one.