Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2017, 01:31 PM

Someone should find these thiefs and go steal their stuff. See how they like it
Old 03-21-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_forget View Post
They couldn't phone the police to report that their stolen things were stolen from them. The perfect crime.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13mileranch View Post
No repercusions for phoning in a false alarm? I think the caller would get more attention than bargained for.
Never have known of a fine to be given to a false alarm unless it has been multiple time of going for nothing.
Also been to a lot of burglar alarms set off as well. Guess what, I have never seen any thieves around either. Maybe they don't like the attention of a bunch of sirens showing up.
Seems like some of you guys are just fine with calling the cops and waiting a couple hrs to fill your paperwork.... good luck with that!
Old 03-21-2017, 02:14 PM

Government hired Sheriffs to help police the highways, add a few more and lets get them to patrol rural areas.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Never have known of a fine to be given to a false alarm unless it has been multiple time of going for nothing.
Also been to a lot of burglar alarms set off as well. Guess what, I have never seen any thieves around either. Maybe they don't like the attention of a bunch of sirens showing up.
Seems like some of you guys are just fine with calling the cops and waiting a couple hrs to fill your paperwork.... good luck with that!
Sure hope your house doesn't burn down while the firefighters are off to a burglar call..

(In before the "firefighters response time isn't acceptable" thread)...
Old 03-21-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Government hired Sheriffs to help police the highways, add a few more and lets get them to patrol rural areas.
Just before Staff Sargeant Ross from Vermilion passed he offered me a job as Sheriff in Vermilion. I told him that if my business wasn't doing so well I would have taken him up on it. I may yet.

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 03-21-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:12 PM

http://rdnewsnow.com/article/531278/...er-man-suspect
A case of mistaken identity has prompted Ponoka RCMP to issue an apology.

One of three men arrested following an incident last week near Crestomere was identified by police as Miles Appenrodt of Red Deer.

However, Mounties now say the man they arrested and later released had been possessing Appenrodt’s driver’s license, and was pretending to be him while in custody.

Police say Appenrodt was not involved in any offenses whatsoever.

“The RCMP deeply regrets this error and apologizes to Mr. Appenrodt for the difficulties this has caused,” says Cpl. Curtis Peters, RCMP Media Relations.

The RCMP says it has now correctly identified the male responsible and a warrant is being sought. The charges against him will now include personation and possession of identity document, in addition to the original offences.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:22 PM

From reading the story, the police had 3 guys that they connected to 12 different investigations out of Ponoka, Sylvan Lake, Red Deer, Rocky Mtn House, Innisfail & Blackfalds. Why were they let go in the first place??!!

No wonder thieves feel empowered.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by histyle View Post
From reading the story, the police had 3 guys that they connected to 12 different investigations out of Ponoka, Sylvan Lake, Red Deer, Rocky Mtn House, Innisfail & Blackfalds. Why were they let go in the first place??!!

No wonder thieves feel empowered.
The penalty for theft and vandalism in this country is a joke! Maybe Suadi Arabia has the right idea when it comes to these crimes. Chop a hand off a few of the ones they catch and I betcha theft and vandalism numbers go down!

Make the one handed criminals spokesmen, run a national campaign on CBC

Just sayin

BW
Old 03-21-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Wagon View Post
http://rdnewsnow.com/article/531278/...er-man-suspect
A case of mistaken identity has prompted Ponoka RCMP to issue an apology.

One of three men arrested following an incident last week near Crestomere was identified by police as Miles Appenrodt of Red Deer.

However, Mounties now say the man they arrested and later released had been possessing Appenrodt’s driver’s license, and was pretending to be him while in custody.

Police say Appenrodt was not involved in any offenses whatsoever.

“The RCMP deeply regrets this error and apologizes to Mr. Appenrodt for the difficulties this has caused,” says Cpl. Curtis Peters, RCMP Media Relations.

The RCMP says it has now correctly identified the male responsible and a warrant is being sought. The charges against him will now include personation and possession of identity document, in addition to the original offences.
So the RCMP didn't look at the picture on the operators license and realize that it wasn't the person that had the license? Not very professional to release an innocent person's name as a suspect without checking to see who they really had in custody.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Sheriffs are Peace Officersn not Police Officers. They enforce the provincial statutes, they do not enforce the criminal code of Canada except for what is known as expanded authority such as, impaired driving and maybe one or two other CCofC sections.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_forget View Post
They are probably smart enough to defend "their" property so good luck.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm very fine with phoning the Police for a Police issue.

I wouldn't phone the fire dept. for a Police issue and drag first responder services away from their designated duties and the possibility of a legitimate emergency they should be attending.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13mileranch View Post
I'm very fine with phoning the Police for a Police issue.

I wouldn't phone the fire dept. for a Police issue and drag first responder services away from their designated duties and the possibility of a legitimate emergency they should be attending.
I agree 100%
Anyone that phoned 911 and asked for the Fire Department any time of the night because there 'may be someone prowling' better already be bleeding. 95% of us are volunteers and have way better things to do than stupid garbage like this.
smh
In cases like that, the homeowner/renter would be getting a very large bill from the county, $40/hr + per man, several thousand $$ each for the trucks sent and there are generally 4, and charged with falsely calling and reporting to 911. Sure you want to make a $15,000 phone call and risk a criminal record for your push mower?
911 Dispatch and the County take that very seriously here.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
I once put a 300W motion detector security light on a board and hung it up in a far corner of my second garage so if anyone came in it would light up for them. Not sure if that was so smart. :-)

I have so much crap in there now, they'll break a leg if they try to walk around without light. Maybe that's more effective.

It would be neat to have several outdoor protected motion detectors all tied together to lights all around the building so if anyone approaches, the whole area surrounding a building would light up.
They would just sue you for that broken leg....
Old 03-21-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:

Well, that's part of the problem.

Provincial Traffic Sheriffs have no policing duties. If they encounter something criminal in nature they have to contact the police of jurisdiction (CPS, EPS, RCMP...). So, Sheriffs can write tickets under Traffic Safety Act, Use of Highways, Invasive Species Act, etcetera, but when they encounter a drunk driver or thief, the investigation has to be turned over to a real police officer.

So, in short, all those Provincial Traffic Sheriffs are utilized for is revenue generation. They do not patrol towns nor rural areas because they wont necessarily find any violators to write. Also, because Sheriffs are unionized, they DO NOT WORK STATUTORY HOLIDAYS, or, generally work past mid-nite.

So, do you really want to hire more Provincial employees with limited ability to solve the problem or do you want more police boots on the ground 24/7?

-Willy
Old 03-21-2017, 05:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I agree 100%
Anyone that phoned 911 and asked for the Fire Department any time of the night because there 'may be someone prowling' better already be bleeding. 95% of us are volunteers and have way better things to do than stupid garbage like this.
smh
In cases like that, the homeowner/renter would be getting a very large bill from the county, $40/hr + per man, several thousand $$ each for the trucks sent and there are generally 4, and charged with falsely calling and reporting to 911. Sure you want to make a $15,000 phone call and risk a criminal record for your push mower?
911 Dispatch and the County take that very seriously here.
I am very happy to see your County take Emergency Services seriously. Also many thanks to all the volunteers that put the time and effort into ensuring these services are available when needed.

Also I would like to thank you for pointing out the "nube" scenario isn't just a false alarm rather a total abuse of the 911 and First Responder System.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:55 PM

Or you could phone a friend.

Call 911 requesting the fire department and they wont be your friend for long.

I would help in a heartbeat if a neighbor called me personally, on that note.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:40 PM
Banned

I'm not a cop lover by any means but I do beleive that they are overworked and understaffed. The bs calls that they get from some Dudley DoRight about a vehicle passing them without using their signal light is mind blowing. I think they're obligated to follow up on these calls. If you don't beleive me buy a scanner and find out for yourself.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:53 PM

Default Both of

Big Willy's posts are correct.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Just something to remember here guys that I just thought of. We joke all the time at work about it but it is true. If you have a break and enter and you call 911 state your house is on fire. I bet you get someone there in under 8 min and I can promise you if the Fire Dept shows up and sees a need for the cops they will be there within minutes as well. Sad truth and seen it before...
False fire alarms are a huge problem so we bill $500 for each one.
Worse than that would be endangering lives by responding to a situaton that is out of our scope.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:36 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
The penalty for theft and vandalism in this country is a joke! Maybe Suadi Arabia has the right idea when it comes to these crimes. Chop a hand off a few of the ones they catch and I betcha theft and vandalism numbers go down!

Make the one handed criminals spokesmen, run a national campaign on CBC

Just sayin

BW
This is spot on, harsher penalties for crime, immediate. This would get the attention of all wanna be criminals/vandals etc real quick.
Tom what happened to your hand, stole a car last Friday, monday they chopped my hand off!
Hmmmmm was thinking of stealing that ol'fellas mustang out in the barn...still thinking...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-22-2017, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
This is spot on, harsher penalties for crime, immediate. This would get the attention of all wanna be criminals/vandals etc real quick.
Tom what happened to your hand, stole a car last Friday, monday they chopped my hand off!
Hmmmmm was thinking of stealing that ol'fellas mustang out in the barn...still thinking...
agreed!! and no need for costly jailing
Old 03-22-2017, 06:27 AM

I think a progressive discipline approach would work. First offence over 16 ( because the bleeding hearts would say 14 is to young) 30 days hard labour. Any damage caused by commission of the offence would be added on top until payed off. Second offence 4 months on the highways picking garbage in black coveralls chained to another idiot. If they don't respond well to work, off to the Yukon to pick garbage in black fly season. 3 offence 5 years hard labour I'm sure we could find some old camp grounds in alberta needing re building fire wood cutting etc. Can't. Forget all the Atv trails needing restoration or bridges....the list goes on. But it's a pipe dream because to many people have soft spots for.low life little johnny scum who steal from hard working people.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:29 AM
Banned

I would rather see a year of forced labour than a hand removed. Would fix our transportation infrastructure problems real quick.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:43 AM

Yes too letting them work like they did in the old days.

That's what they really want too as its hard to find a job now days.

Many of them could work the night shifts since they have years of training working in the dark, and they could do,,, hummmmm, "lets say clean up work as its kinda in their field of expertise".

Yuppers as its a win win as Tax payers get a rebate on the funds we spend on the broken system that isn't working too well.

Having work benefits the whole system as the funds are spent any-who, so why not try too get maximum return on our investments.

More wrong then right as this post is just a IMO only idea / thought looking at a world up side right form the many years of being up side down and going way to fast
Ha

From pumpkin head Don
Old 03-22-2017, 10:50 AM

My truck was rummaged through this past weekend in Langdon. I left it unlocked, that doesn't happen often. Lucky for me I am not in the habit of leaving valuables in my vehicle so all the they got was a wallet that had my airmiles and Esso extra etc cards. Still feel pretty violated and angry that it happened.

To the guy saying "just lock it up". your flipant and overly simplified answer does nothing to address the root of the problem. How about "just don't steal". Wish it was that easy.

If there were stiffer penalties for these crimes and property owners had more rights I feel this would help reduce how often this happens. I'm not say shoot anyone who steps on your lawn but there has to be a better answer than we have now where a victim of the crime ends up in more trouble that the perp.

I remember a time when we lived in GP 30 years ago, we didn't worry about locking our doors. People seemed to have more respect for others property. I miss that.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
My truck was rummaged through this past weekend in Langdon. I left it unlocked, that doesn't happen often. Lucky for me I am not in the habit of leaving valuables in my vehicle so all the they got was a wallet that had my airmiles and Esso extra etc cards. Still feel pretty violated and angry that it happened.
To the guy saying "just lock it up". your flipant and overly simplified answer does nothing to address the root of the problem. How about "just don't steal". Wish it was that easy.
If there were stiffer penalties for these crimes and property owners had more rights I feel this would help reduce how often this happens. I'm not say shoot anyone who steps on your lawn but there has to be a better answer than we have now where a victim of the crime ends up in more trouble that the perp.
I remember a time when we lived in GP 30 years ago, we didn't worry about locking our doors. People seemed to have more respect for others property. I miss that.
We all miss that time. It sucks, and I am sorry when anyone goes through this. Being violated on any level is horrific.

'Lock it up' is not flippant, it is common sense and in some cases forgotten. If you are taking it personally because you forgot, that's understandable. We are all in the same boat when it comes to criminals, we just should make it more difficult for them to board.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post

Sorry for your loss and the experience of being a victim.

Locked, unlocked it doesn't seem to matter. My neighbor was just over for coffee and our mailboxes got hit for the second time in four months.

The crooks are on a rampage across this area and will do whatever it takes to steal, vandalize and violate peoples property and rights. Our system makes consequences for these actions minimal. It has to change. Will it...doesn't appear to be in the cards.

I'm going to be doing some letter writing through the next few days. Might not even get a response but I'll make my points known.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
We all miss that time. It sucks, and I am sorry when anyone goes through this. Being violated on any level is horrific.

'Lock it up' is not flippant, it is common sense and in some cases forgotten. If you are taking it personally because you forgot, that's understandable. We are all in the same boat when it comes to criminals, we just should make it more difficult for them to board.
^^this.. you do realize that criminals are opportunistic, right?

NVM.. Just keep leaving stuff unlocked/easy pickens..

That way I don't have to worry about people stealing my locked stuff..