Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2017, 12:25 PM

Thumbs down More thefts last night

A truck was stolen and smashed into barricades behind a shop, then another one was stolen from the church with people inside, then another was stolen a few miles out. Then the Mclaughlin mailboxes were smashed up, and a snowmobile was stolen.
Why do people leave keys in the vehicles in this day and age?
Things are horrible in rural Alberta. I hope home invasions aren't next.
Anyone else having trouble?
Old 03-20-2017, 12:30 PM

We formed a group in spruce grove called the Watchmen. We do patrols and such at night. I can walk down any given street and I gurantee I'll pop a open door. It's no excuse but it's just making it easy. Did a walk around 2 Saturdays ago and found 3 garages wide open . 2 of them nobody answered there door 1 was ****ed we woke him up.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:36 PM

Surprisingly here in my area of Edmonton, there haven't been any major thefts that I have heard about. Probably been the longest stretch of time that I can remember that I haven't heard about a break-in or a car theft or etc. Knock on wood though.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:39 PM

All of our worksites in edmonton have been getting hit hard.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 12:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotwade View Post
We formed a group in spruce grove called the Watchmen. We do patrols and such at night. I can walk down any given street and I gurantee I'll pop a open door. It's no excuse but it's just making it easy. Did a walk around 2 Saturdays ago and found 3 garages wide open . 2 of them nobody answered there door 1 was ****ed we woke him up.
That's a good thing. A friend had his garage cleaned out, best he can tell is that one of the family tripped the sensor too late and the door didn't close. Yeah, insurance covered it - but he's a little more upset that nobody let him know. Door was open all night, he doesn't exactly live on a quiet street.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
That's awesome that you guys do that!
I have cameras in the garage and yard, motion lights, fresnell lenses over all the garage windows so nobody can see it, and the cameras send immediate email video and pics if activated.
I have a couple trucks out of the garage, pulled the batteries to slow them down.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:56 PM

How do you steal a vehicle from a church parking lot

Like really
Old 03-20-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
A truck was stolen and smashed into barricades behind a shop, then another one was stolen from the church with people inside, then another was stolen a few miles out. Then the Mclaughlin mailboxes were smashed up, and a snowmobile was stolen.
Why do people leave keys in the vehicles in this day and age?
Things are horrible in rural Alberta. I hope home invasions aren't next.
Anyone else having trouble?
Ken I have lived out in the country up here in the peace country for 23 years and I am back in the bush a ways, you cannot even see my place except if your flying over it! Never ever had any problems, then the last coupla years, things changed.. More and more people getting broke into all around us.. Then a few weeks ago our dog was making a fuss at 5 am, I got up and there was a vehicle in my yard down at the corrals, watched it for a bit, then I grabbed some help and went out to confront them, my wife got scared called me back into the house, we called the police... An hour and half later they showed up, 1/2 hour too late, truck just slowly drove outa my yard... The police officer that did come apologized for the long delay in getting to us.. But he said and I quote.. " it's really really crazy out there these days" the poor police cannot keep up with all the stuff happening up here...as for me, well I have made sure that I have the help I need in various spots on my property.
The world is going crazy everywhere and if I have to protect my family as the cops are 1 1/2 hours away... So be it!
Sorry for the long answer to your question but I haven't talked to you in awhile.. Just making conversation buddy!
Have a great week everyone
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 03-20-2017, 01:21 PM

One guy that has a corner lot and had a few garage break ins got a fog horn and flashing type blinding 70s disco Era lites hooked up to trip sensors. No kidding he tested it out and warned the neibours. Holy effective!!! I literally could not function standing in the garage. The bad part all his siding came loose!!😎
Old 03-20-2017, 01:31 PM

Sounds like it is getting bad. To me it sounds like a lot of good people will be put in jail for protecting their homes in the future too......Wish I could here more positive stories about policing in these circumstances but you sure never do. All you hear about is the guy that went out to confront the bad guy and things go south. Then the cops show up an hr later.....How can there not be a cop available for that long? Do the cops not call in extra personel when things get busy?
Old 03-20-2017, 01:48 PM

I say this without ever hoping to do it. You step on my property intending to harm myself or my family I'll do what's necessary to make sure you don't. If the repercussions are that a judge or jury finds me guilty of any wrongdoing I'm good with that. Not happy but I'll sleep each night atleast knowing I did right!!
Old 03-20-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Sounds like it is getting bad. To me it sounds like a lot of good people will be put in jail for protecting their homes in the future too......Wish I could here more positive stories about policing in these circumstances but you sure never do. All you hear about is the guy that went out to confront the bad guy and things go south. Then the cops show up an hr later.....How can there not be a cop available for that long? Do the cops not call in extra personel when things get busy?
I wish I had an answer for this one, my only guess would be that I think that the cops are just that busy on most nights...hard to bring in extra help if problems are now any night of the week, not just weekends anymore! It must be tough being a cop these days.. My hat is off to any people who are out there trying to protect the rest of us! Thank you for doing all you can!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 03-20-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I say this without ever hoping to do it. You step on my property intending to harm myself or my family I'll do what's necessary to make sure you don't. If the repercussions are that a judge or jury finds me guilty of any wrongdoing I'm good with that. Not happy but I'll sleep each night atleast knowing I did right!!
Agreed!

"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 03-20-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I saw an open garage a few weeks back near my house. Rang the doorbell...no answer...heard a noise...knew someone was home. Knocked and rang...then the dog came up a barking. Then rang a big more...heard talking. Then the door opened. Person was cranky right off the bat but quickly chimed in their garage door was wide open. Anger and annoyance changed to contrite and thankful.

Never hurts to do a neighbor a favor...even if at first they refuse it. Make an area ripe for theft only invites future forays from those you don't want around.

Hence I like to have Cabertosser with me to fend off meth addicts.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-20-2017, 02:20 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
That's awesome that you guys do that!
I have cameras in the garage and yard, motion lights, fresnell lenses over all the garage windows so nobody can see it, and the cameras send immediate email video and pics if activated.
I have a couple trucks out of the garage, pulled the batteries to slow them down.

So are you locked in or the bad guys locked out???

I think a person just needs to call the police when they are in danger or being broken into or attacked.

Talked to a neighbour who had a break in. He called the cops. They showed up........the next day and advised him that if he did anything 'foolish' he would be arrested and charged.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-20-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSwedeItIs View Post
How do you steal a vehicle from a church parking lot

Like really
Had our Honda taken while in Church a few yrs back. Got it back same day after it was T boned by some drunk kids. Total write off and nothing but a hassle dealing with ins.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
I wish I had an answer for this one, my only guess would be that I think that the cops are just that busy on most nights...hard to bring in extra help if problems are now any night of the week, not just weekends anymore! It must be tough being a cop these days.. My hat is off to any people who are out there trying to protect the rest of us! Thank you for doing all you can!
Zip
There are many factors as to why they may not be able to respond "right away". They could be on the other side of the precinct, or dealing with another call. Hell most precincts rarely have more than one person on duty (with one on call) at night or in the early morning.
And I'd hate to say this, but unless they are armed, a trespassing and b&e call, are pretty low priority. Domestic Disputes take up the majority of LEO's time, and are a higher priority.

Reossessions. LOCK YOUR **** UP. This isn't a hard concept. Our neighborhood was hit hard over the past 6 months. Guess what 99.9% of the
thefts were "door checkers", where they go down the street and check for an unlocked car. Even after multiple warnings from cops, and fellow neighbors, idiots continue to leave their car's unlocked, and in some cases keys in the car.. (really?).. Then they complain about the rise in crime. If you make it easy, the dirtbags will be around, doesn't matter where you live.

OTOH, don't lock your **** up.. Just means the *******s will continue to go for the easy pickens vs coming to my house. lol.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
So are you locked in or the bad guys locked out???

I think a person just needs to call the police when they are in danger or being broken into or attacked.

Talked to a neighbour who had a break in. He called the cops. They showed up........the next day and advised him that if he did anything 'foolish' he would be arrested and charged.
When I told the The nice young cop who managed to finally get to us during our 5 am call out that I had walked 1/2 way to the strange truck in our yard in hopes of finding out who it was before I finally listened to the wife and headed back inside the house, all he said to me was please don't do that.. Just call us and we will look after things, I mentioned to him that in the hour and a half that it took to come help us, we very well could have been in harms way! This time we were not... But will we be next time?? I won't mention the answer I got on that question as my story is about how crime seems to be spreading at an alarming rate.. Not if I can protect or not protect my family and property's if needed!
Zip

"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 03-20-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
There are many factors as to why they may not be able to respond "right away". They could be on the other side of the precinct, or dealing with another call. Hell most precincts rarely have more than one person on duty (with one on call) at night or in the early morning.
And I'd hate to say this, but unless they are armed, a trespassing and b&e call, are pretty low priority. Domestic Disputes take up the majority of LEO's time, and are a higher priority.

Reossessions. LOCK YOUR **** UP. This isn't a hard concept. Our neighborhood was hit hard over the past 6 months. Guess what 99.9% of the
thefts were "door checkers", where they go down the street and check for an unlocked car. Even after multiple warnings from cops, and fellow neighbors, idiots continue to leave their car's unlocked, and in some cases keys in the car.. (really?).. Then they complain about the rise in crime. If you make it easy, the dirtbags will be around, doesn't matter where you live.

OTOH, don't lock your **** up.. Just means the *******s will continue to go for the easy pickens vs coming to my house. lol.
When we moved out here 23 years ago, we never even locked the house up if we left for the evening or afternoon, keys were in cars in driveway! Now I lock everything up.. Keys are outa vehicles, I have cameras up and they see you before you even get to my house, we have had to adapt to the new world we are in.. It's good practice to get into, locking your stuff up I mean!
Zip

"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 03-20-2017, 02:56 PM

I once put a 300W motion detector security light on a board and hung it up in a far corner of my second garage so if anyone came in it would light up for them. Not sure if that was so smart. :-)

I have so much crap in there now, they'll break a leg if they try to walk around without light. Maybe that's more effective.

It would be neat to have several outdoor protected motion detectors all tied together to lights all around the building so if anyone approaches, the whole area surrounding a building would light up.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:00 PM

Maybe the RCMP could have Bait Houses.

Say someone gets themselves added to some sort of Police availability list, if chosen from the applicants, then when they are going on vacation for 3+ weeks, they notify the police and the police come out and load up the place with cameras and see what they catch.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
When we moved out here 23 years ago, we never even locked the house up if we left for the evening or afternoon, keys were in cars in driveway! Now I lock everything up.. Keys are outa vehicles, I have cameras up and they see you before you even get to my house, we have had to adapt to the new world we are in.. It's good practice to get into, locking your stuff up I mean!
Zip
Same. Been here 50 years this September. The garbage moves in and out and crime follows. I wish all the cheap broken down rental houses would burn down, so there would not be so many transients here. The could not afford to rent brand new insurance-built homes.
One of the biggest things we are being warned of lately (First responders) in the small communities is the number of meth houses in the old shacks.
They are becoming a huge problem for police services.
I know it goes in a cycle, good then bad then good, but the bad has been bad for too long.
I lock the hell out of everything.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:02 PM

20 years ago I was doing some training just outside of ft worth. Met up with some locals and I went for dinner to there house. Those people got it right. There keys are in there cars and Windows down. 2 blue healers on the front porch. You go try and steal something down there and you will have more holes in you than a screen door!!
Old 03-20-2017, 03:03 PM

How many of these smaller RCMP Rural Detachments actually have Members out in vehicles patrolling the Detachment area 24 hours a day (Not on Call) ?
Old 03-20-2017, 03:13 PM

2 guys I know had some fun with thieves. 1 caught a guy pushing his new JD mower out to a truck. He jumped on him on a gravel road when he bolted, skinned him nose to knee. When the RCMP showed up he was handcuffed to the deck. I don't think he was even charged, but nothing bad happened to the homeowner.
Second guy was in BC, found out where all his wood working tools were that had been stolen a couple days previous. He found out because he took a ball peen hammer to the criminals toes. Flattened all 10. There was a lot of stolen stuff returned, no RCMP charges to my friend.
I really would like to be walking by the post office with a baseball bat the next time it is broken into.
I admit I would likely go too far as well if I caught someone breaking tinto my home or stealing my stuff.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoat01 View Post
How many of these smaller RCMP Rural Detachments actually have Members out in vehicles patrolling the Detachment area 24 hours a day (Not on Call) ?
Doesn't matter. Because common sense would dictate that No matter where they were, it was the wrong place to be patrolling. unless of course you want one cop for every household 24/7.

Just lock your **** up. Seems easy to me.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
If it were like some of the laws in the US I imagine you could sleep well in your own house and not in a jail cell. In Canada you have way less rights to do anything unless someone has harmed you already and you better have marks on your body to prove it.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
2 guys I know had some fun with thieves. 1 caught a guy pushing his new JD mower out to a truck. He jumped on him on a gravel road when he bolted, skinned him nose to knee. When the RCMP showed up he was handcuffed to the deck. I don't think he was even charged, but nothing bad happened to the homeowner.
Second guy was in BC, found out where all his wood working tools were that had been stolen a couple days previous. He found out because he took a ball peen hammer to the criminals toes. Flattened all 10. There was a lot of stolen stuff returned, no RCMP charges to my friend.
I really would like to be walking by the post office with a baseball bat the next time it is broken into.
I admit I would likely go too far as well if I caught someone breaking tinto my home or stealing my stuff.

That's great, and I'm glad to hear nothing happened to the homeowners. Problem is, Do you know if they are carrying? gun/knife/pepper spray/needle? Not likely until after you jump them, then you better hope they're not a junky, as even a 80# junky can take multiple people to hold down. No thanks. None of my possessions are worth my life. Now if someone threatens my family, that would be a different story.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
"He found out because he took a ball peen hammer to the criminals toes. Flattened all 10. "

Hmm. How much were his tools worth? That could have cost the rest of us taxpayers thousands in hospital bills, etc. however, it maybe lowered policing costs.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
If it were like some of the laws in the US I imagine you could sleep well in your own house and not in a jail cell. In Canada you have way less rights to do anything unless someone has harmed you already and you better have marks on your body to prove it.
Jail cell or not I'm still sleeping good!!! I stood for the flag of this country for 12 years and will fully respect the laws and the repercussions of breaking them. My own personal beliefs lol I think we are all on that same page!!!