Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
I'm seeing a lot of similarities between the anti drone crowd and the libtard antigun groups.
Gawd it feels like when I had to register my .22 years ago!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Signed,

And Ken one of the reasons I don't frequent this site to often anymore was because of my drone footage, I would post some nice footage of some mountain landscape then I would get jumped on about why I am flying in someones window or how it's assumed I am not responsible just because I own a drone!!lol
Then you would have some people putting up footage of them flying over people at a beach or breaking common knowledge rules when it comes to flying. When I would question why would they do that, I would get jumped on for being a negative nelly. Well that was years ago and look where we are now!! Full laws because a bunch of twits wrecked it for responsible owners.

Not much difference between a responsible gun owner and a responsible drone owner these days, I feel like a criminal now when I am enjoying both these hobbies..
Old 03-19-2017, 04:27 PM

With spring comin calls will flood into 911. There will be reports of drone formations flying over. Some low...some high...PPl will save the neighbourhood and be a hero for reporting snow geese as the sun glints off them. What a waste of 911 time,cops time..their own time..I wonder how many idiots will report a fast moving object thru there yard at sundown which turns into a dove or hawk shooting by. Refer to the waste of time line up above.

I only own one so called "drone" But I do own 12 helicopters. An yes they all fly. I really think there is more important things going on in Canada right now then worrying about some ones hobby. But of course no matter where you go or what you do,the coffee shop brigade will want new rules to protect oneself from stupidity. An yes, just like firearms owners,all ppl who like the flying hobby must now stand up just because of some dumbazzes who cant use common sense.Just like quad/atv users are facing closures of trails and such.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahoganyMan View Post
Gawd it feels like when I had to register my .22 years ago!!

Signed,

And Ken one of the reasons I don't frequent this site to often anymore was because of my drone footage, I would post some nice footage of some mountain landscape then I would get jumped on about why I am flying in someones window or how it's assumed I am not responsible just because I own a drone!!lol

Not much difference between a responsible gun owner and a responsible drone owner these days, I feel like a criminal now when I am enjoying both these hobbies..
This site has lost far too many great members because of the losers. Nothing better to do than fight over things that do not concern them at all.

I am sorry to read your reply. It sucks that it has come to this.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:10 AM
Banned

Default .

OK , one last comment from me , and l assure you l,m not trolling .
ln the very near future , drones of any kind will be outlawed all over except for maybe a lost country field in the middle of nowhere,
BUT , only outlawed to you and l.
Real estate salesmen may possibly be able to purchase a special license to take airial photos of propertys , but with a very strict book of rules and high fines if not followed.
THE COPS , ha haa, you can bet it wont be long to see THEM buzzing around the neighberhoods looking for drug houses etc , no rules for them , if they suspect your cookin drugs they,ll fly right up your nose in your back yard while the ladies are suntaning, this is going to happen , believe me.
Laws are made by politicians , against all of the public , and they make darn sure it don't include the police.
Police already have them , black and white ,with red and blue lights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitledpolice.jpg (35.7 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by bigskinner; 03-20-2017 at 04:29 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:44 AM
Banned

Default We've been Trumped

There is only one loser in this discussion. And that would be the guy that lost all credibility when he jumped on an open conversation with a group who know a lot about just about everything, shouted loudly about the unfairness of spending thousands on a harmless hobby only to be put-upon by the government, foments a heated discussion where he eschews any form of interference in his pillar-of-the-community lifestyle then states he is above the fray by having some kind of pilot license.

Pretty ballsy (not to mention insulting) of a guy to characterize anyone who doesn't buy his line as "loser."

Free
Old 03-20-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom55 View Post
There is only one loser in this discussion. And that would be the guy that lost all credibility when he jumped on an open conversation with a group who know a lot about just about everything, shouted loudly about the unfairness of spending thousands on a harmless hobby only to be put-upon by the government, foments a heated discussion where he eschews any form of interference in his pillar-of-the-community lifestyle then states he is above the fray by having some kind of pilot license.

Pretty ballsy (not to mention insulting) of a guy to characterize anyone who doesn't buy his line as "loser."

Free
Haha. Back to amusing.
Pillar-of-the-community?
And fyi, you know what I said about losers, they are the reason so many great men have left the forum.
Plus, having 'some sort of Pilot license' is free and available to anyone. Try to keep up.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:42 AM
Banned

I fly a DJI Phantom 3 Pro. I didn't need the government to tell me that it's not cool to fly over someone's home and take pictures, I already knew that from common sense. I fly over uninhabited areas to take nice scenic pictures/videos. My rancher neighbours asked for a demo of my drone. Soon after that, they were so impressed that they purchased one from Ken. They'll use it to check cattle during calving. At their request, I've already flown mine over the grazing lease to locate cattle. No matter what it is, be it firearms, OHV's, boats, and drones, they're are always those losers who simply must abuse everything. Yet, I don't see calls to ban or put more restrictions on firearms and quads from the members of this forum. Yet when it comes to drones, most everyone who doesn't use one is fine with more bans and restrictions.

Oh! and I don't use game cameras, it's not my style of hunting. But you don't hear of me wanting to start a petition to have them banned or just plain shoot them off the trees.

Last edited by gitrdun; 03-20-2017 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The new regulations have been announced. What used to be guidelines have now been made regulations.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cana...neau-1.4027486
Are the new regs going to change the places you can fly your drone?
Old 03-20-2017, 10:50 AM

Question: Why wouldnt the existing R/C laws work ok for drones? What happened with that? I flew R/C for a time and when helis came along seems they were working within existing laws ok. We had fields we went to setup for just R/C's.

Is it the camera thing that is the catch in all of this? Simply asking for my own info only.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
Question: Why wouldnt the existing R/C laws work ok for drones? What happened with that? I flew R/C for a time and when helis came along seems they were working within existing laws ok. We had fields we went to setup for just R/C's.

Is it the camera thing that is the catch in all of this? Simply asking for my own info only.
I think that cameras are exactly the cause for the uproar. Existing rules absolutely should have sufficed.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:31 PM
Banned

Yes the cameras. Too many snoopy people.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:52 PM

The screaming 'Ban"shees on this site for the most part seem to have an issue with anyone that wishes to go outside and have a little fun . They want the quads "banned" they want the Motorboats "banned " they want random camping "banned" they want drones "banned" The list keeps growing it seems. More snowflakes on here than a blizzard in he Rockies sometimes.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:03 AM
Banned

I'm not one seeking to ban the things, not sure anyone else has said that, but I do believe that operators should have more common courtesy than to loiter above someone's backyard barbeque with a camera running, although I don't think that's that common and I think the regulations are to somewhat prevent that are they not?

What's the problem with that?
Old 03-21-2017, 09:30 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Unhappy People

The common denominator involved in all reasons for laws and regulations...people.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-21-2017, 10:02 AM

Default Too Bad/NPS

decent guy lives in Florida out to Yellowstone Park on vacation-flies his drone, takes some footage (no issues safe etc) posts on Youtube (NPS-they're checking the internet. ;-(). NPS contact him Xmas eve informs him they are going to prosecute him and do so.

if any type of guy is worthy of discretion/warning, this guy might be it. instead of going after rabble that ruin it for everyone, they (big bro)pick on (IMO) decent people.

make sure to watch his video:

https://fstoppers.com/aerial/if-your...ndustry-169893

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 03-21-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargineyesore View Post
I'm not one seeking to ban the things, not sure anyone else has said that, but I do believe that operators should have more common courtesy than to loiter above someone's backyard barbeque with a camera running, although I don't think that's that common and I think the regulations are to somewhat prevent that are they not?

What's the problem with that?
This is my last response on this topic, even though the exact same thing has been said several times.

Fargineyesore I agree with you. They should have more courtesy. But, this is not all about that.

I am a responsible unmanned multirotor owner. I do not fly low into or over people's yards. If I am going from A to B, and take pictures as I am flying over, it is because I have lived here my entire life, and have never seen the town I live from overhead. I can drive by or walk through anyones yard with a camera, talking to neighbors and mentioning how nice their yard is, I will very likely get invited in for a beer or ice tea. Yet a drone overhead is spying on everyone, haha.
I truly enjoy(ed) the experience of virtual flight. It is absolutely a wonderful experience, like strapping yourself onto a bird and tearing out over the earth, while being firmly planted the the ground. 60mph in the air on a beautiful day, without fear of crashing and dying has some appeal, no? The view is surreal. It is 4k quality, and through a great phone or tablet it absolutely gives you the feeling of flying like a bird or fighter jet. Anyone that ever had any interest, I have gladly put them in VR goggles and taken them for a flight. Actually everyone that I have done that for has bought a DJI drone. Even my 83 year old Uncle, he just loves it.
If a secluded place can be found and flown legally, I would also extend the invitation to anyone from here to see how amazing it is, flying like a bird.

Now I have to drive out in the country, and ask if I can fly over a barren field because I can no longer do it from my own back yard, unless I am charging to do so under the SFOC which is extremely limiting and closely monitored. Time date duration height reason backers spotter permission road control emergency contact redundant system awareness, etc. It is no longer fun.

The problem is this, now because I am in that hobby I am labelled as 'one of those voyeurs with a spy cam on a drone';
someone sees or even hears a drone. They grab the phone or email the FAA, in a panic. 'there is a drone flying over my house!!!!' It could be 500' laterally away, but the home owner or renter thinks they better act fast, before someone with a camera overhead sees their yard is a mess or their grass is too long.
There is no proof from the caller. It is not required.
where, when did it occur
what color was it
what height (really? verified by laser measurement would be good)

There is no risk to the caller, yet they have been brow-beaten into obedience through fear mongering so they pick up the phone, or fire up the laptop.
There is nothing a responsible drone owner can do, other than pay the $3000 fine, or 'sit before a tribunal' and fight his case.
For me in particular, in a town of under 200 people, everyone knows I have a drone. If a drone goes over, everyone thinks it is Ken. There are actually several in town that I know of, I sold a couple, showed a few how to fly them.
So when the FAA letterhead and $3000 fine shows up, I have to prove it was not me, hopefully I was not around that day, or pay $3000 because someone has been stirred into a panic by the media. And, trust me, IF there is a false report filed against me, I will be seeking retribution for filing a false claim without proof. It will never be me, I will not break the law.
[SIZE="5"]PHONE 911 OR EMAIL THE REPORT-A-DRONE HOTLINE!!!![/SIZE] (if you see illegal activity)
They have made the public the Judge, Jury and Executioner, by giving power to every person in Canada. The media has portrayed these toys to be life threatening bomb carrying satellite surveillance quality weapons of mass destruction hell bent on ruining your sunday bbq. Do you honestly think that only salt of the earth people will be calling? Not a chance, everyone with time on their hands or a grievance for something from 15 years ago now has the chance to get even.
Imagine shooting gophers on your own patch of dirt, and every time you pull the trigger someone calls 911 and you are handed a $3000 fine, per .22 shell. They don't even have to see you shoot, just the firearm in your hand. Or shooting them with a bow and arrow, what if that becomes illegal?
If I have my drone 3' up in my own yard (without a 6' nuisance fence) and someone drives or walks by and sees it, $3000.00 fine or sit before a tribunal.
The only people happy about this are miserable lonely anti's that have either lost a hobby or just don't think anyone should have an enjoyable hobby, simply because they are not involved.
How many people on this thread alone have said 'if it flies over my place I will kill it, and the owner will do better to not confront me'?
I would hazard a guess that most have never even seen or heard one personally in flight.
Most on here live in a city, and I would bet there aren't a lot of them flying around White Ave Edmonton or 50th st Camrose, 2 random cities as an example.

The hot topic and easiest picking today is drones, thanks to social and broadcast media.
This was an easy win for the Government, anyone that thinks their hobby is safe may be shocked soon, with the gang that is in power now.

If I was not involved at all in the hobby, I would still be annoyed. I would be concerned. I would not be jumping up and down praising the wonderful job the government is doing shutting down such an evil thing. BAN THE BASTARDS will never come out of my mouth, for a hobby. (illegal drugs are not a hobby, they are a crutch, don't even go there)
This is not over yet.

Last point- the SFOC in Canada is free (for now) to obtain. It is quite restrictive, but it allows with permission for a SFOC holder to fly where recreational flyers can not. The kicker? If you are flying under a SFOC, you are flying commercially. You are charging money to fly in Canadian Airspace. (1/4" above the ground and up) You are then allowed to claim expenses for said venture, and you are required to Invoice for same. Then, you pay income tax on all SFOC invoices.
It is a legal cash grab. When all the liquid is boiled out, the renderings on the bottom of the pan are registered unmanned multirotor flyers, and you can be sure CRA will have a list of all of them. They will be watching for invoicing.

As much as all the anti's think they have 'won' all they have done is celebrated in another loss of Canadian rights, a simple hobby that now is a cash cow for the Government. Some guys charge upwards of $800 per hour to fly their Inspires. It is their only income, and now they will be under a microscope.
So, everyone here that thinks they have won something, pat yourself on the back, hard. Good for you. This will be just as effective as the speed laws, stop signs, illegal drug laws, robbing others and killing, etc. If the person with the item in hand doesn't care, banning it means nothing to the criminal, it punishes the innocent.
Take it for what it is worth.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:50 AM
Banned

In most of these posts the word firearm could be inserted. Wonder how many would do an about face?
A little common sense is lost for some reason.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:07 AM

Drone pilots are pushing back against the stupidity of the liberal banners.

DJI

http://www.nodecampaign.org/?utm_sou...uid=HgW0xyeQcc

Dear Creator,

The last few years have been especially exciting for Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS), commonly known as drones. Today, drones are generating new opportunities around the world for business, government, nonprofit, educational and recreational use. Drones also assist first responders, make hazardous jobs safer, let people take stunning photos and inspire our children to get involved with science and technology.

However, regulators in Canada have recently imposed recreational flight restrictions that threaten the future of this growing industry. Some of the rules include prohibiting drone flights:
Closer than 75 meters from buildings, structures, vehicles, animals and people
Within 9 kilometers of any type of airport, without any provision for airport permission
At night

These rules could prohibit drones from being used for education, art, and film making, even in your own backyard, and even when you are flying safely.

This is why it’s important that your elected officials hear how drones are safe, fun and educational. And responsible drone pilots like you are the best people to deliver that message.

To that end, we helped start the Network of Drone Enthusiasts (NODE), a new grassroots group dedicated to advocating for the interests of responsible drone pilots across the United States and Canada. NODE gives affiliated drone organizations a united voice to collaborate with legislators and regulators on developing reasonable and effective drone regulations that encourage drone use while protecting public safety.

A modest investment of your time will be invaluable in protecting your rights and the rights of fellow drone owners and pilots.

Join the Network of Drone Enthusiasts today by:

Signing up here on the website. It only takes 30 seconds!
Following NODE’s Facebook and Twitter accounts for the latest news.
Spreading the word about NODE, with friends and fellow enthusiasts across the country.

All drone pilots and fans, from do-it-yourself drone kit owners to commercial operators, are welcome to join this grassroots movement. NODE’s website will make it easy for concerned pilots to get involved and ensure they can work with their elected officials and talk about the benefits of drones and their admirable safety record.

Together, we can ensure that public safety is a priority and protect the rights of drone owners and pilots. Thanks again for your willingness to stand up and be counted.

Sincerely,
DJI

http://www.nodecampaign.org/?utm_sou...uid=HgW0xyeQcc

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 03-21-2017, 12:08 PM
Banned

Yeah it certainly seems over the top. I can see regulations to protect airspace around airports, but this seems excessive.

And are the cops really going to be spending their time running around chasing drones because someone complains about a drone flying around?

I can tell you though, that guy that told one of the posters on here that he doesn't own the airspace and thinks its okay to hover over someone's back yard snooping, would be warned once, then the drone would be downed with extreme prejudice if he tried that again over my backyard.

Isn't that a better solution than all these regulations?
Old 03-22-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargineyesore View Post
Yeah it certainly seems over the top. I can see regulations to protect airspace around airports, but this seems excessive.

And are the cops really going to be spending their time running around chasing drones because someone complains about a drone flying around?

I can tell you though, that guy that told one of the posters on here that he doesn't own the airspace and thinks its okay to hover over someone's back yard snooping, would be warned once, then the drone would be downed with extreme prejudice if he tried that again over my backyard.

Isn't that a better solution than all these regulations?
In these cases like many if not all,it is the operators fault and should be dealt with swiftly, loss of drone immediately and a hefty fine.
Drones don't do stupid things, operators do....people

Old 03-22-2017, 09:48 AM

I really can't believe the uproar on this.

You are telling me that drone operators can't find a place that is 75 METERS away from other peoples property, kids, buildings to fly these things?

Just youtube drone crashes and see what happens with these things. I want them 75meters away from my stuff and kids for sure. If you don't like the restrictions get an SFOC and fly under its restrictions.

If people would stay away from airports, peoples back yards, and public parks the rules wouldn't be so restricted.

As for flying past visual line of sight, sorry but that is just a recipe for an incident. Can't see things other than right on front of the camera. Sorry but these toys have too much range as it is. Now you will be limited to 500m distance, plenty far away from the pilot.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:17 PM

Red face

Hope the snow stops soon
Old 03-22-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Hope the snow stops soon
That dam carbon tax !!
Old 03-22-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I am kind of disgusted that people in here whine constantly about 'lazy cops, photo radar, speed limits too low, drugs should be legal, that kind of garbage that actually ruins families and kills people, yet take a rock hard stand against flying toys..
I have no problem with cops, photo radar, present speed limits, and I agree with you we should all be concerned about that which ruins families and kills people, and I do not have a rock hard stand against flying toys.

Someone assumed I lived in Calgary. I live in a rural area about a quarter mile from a community field. I don't even have a problem with drones crossing my property. What I do have a problem with is those flying toys not just going from A to B but those that go from yard to yard and just seem to be snooping.

There is now a lock on our community field and hopefully that will deter them from launching from that location. Just east of my place there is miles and miles of wide open space with only a few residences. I never see them fly there and I assume that is because looking into yards is more interesting. Since a lot of rural people leave their property during the day break ins and theft are becoming more common on acreages.

I am a law abiding citizen. I would never shoot one out of the air but since they are not manned I may point a unloaded 12 bore at one.

Ken, if all drone guys were as law abiding as you there would be no need for any restrictions. As said many times, it is the few that spoil it for the rest but the few seem to be the only ones that get my attention.

I am not really anti anything but I do not welcome intrusion and I go with the old common law that stated that a man's castle extends up to heaven.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
In most of these posts the word firearm could be inserted. Wonder how many would do an about face?
A little common sense is lost for some reason.
Yep.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Hope the snow stops soon
Crap just got another big dump of this crap...left Canada in a blizzard, go to work in a blizzard, shovel in hand this morning......

Old 10-15-2017, 02:14 PM

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/drone-s...neau-1.3633035
Old 10-15-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchhand View Post
Not sure where you are going with this.
Are you looking to whip the Anti's into an unsubstantiated frenzy, or are you showing that there was no damage to drown out the tinfoil hat crowd?

"MINIMAL damage to the plane which was able to land without incident.

I had a very interesting very long discussion with 2 of the higher ups in Transport Canada, they actually handle Enforcement. Drones and turkeys and bullets and arrows and frozen chickens have been smashed into jet engines and windshields and nacelles and leading edges for years. They say there is absolutely no way that ingestion of the recreational drones will bring down a commercial aircraft.

Transport Canada is well aware of the 'risks' involved, this bs by Garneau is 100% a Political Statement.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 10-15-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Not sure where you are going with this.
Are you looking to whip the Anti's into an unsubstantiated frenzy, or are you showing that there was no damage to drown out the tinfoil hat crowd?

"MINIMAL damage to the plane which was able to land without incident.

I had a very interesting very long discussion with 2 of the higher ups in Transport Canada, they actually handle Enforcement. Drones and turkeys and bullets and arrows and frozen chickens have been smashed into jet engines and windshields and nacelles and leading edges for years. They say there is absolutely no way that ingestion of the recreational drones will bring down a commercial aircraft.

Transport Canada is well aware of the 'risks' involved, this bs by Garneau is 100% a Political Statement.
According to FAA stats there have been over 200 deaths related to bird ingestion in aircraft engines since 1988.
Pretty sure a 8lb recreational drone would have a similar effect...well according to the FAA it would.