Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
If one did shoot down a drone on private property what would the shooter be charged with?
Was it shot down on private property...or was it shot above private property?
Old 03-18-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
How about shot down by a landowner in rural area while it was flying over residence? What would the charge that the landowner would go to jail for be?

If you know please quote or paste here
Old 03-18-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
And was it within 75m of buildings, animals, or people? Did it have the proper identification marked on it? Is it legal to discharge firearms in that location? There are several factors that would have to be considered.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
How about shot down by a landowner in rural area while it was flying over residence? What would the charge that the landowner would go to jail for be?

I don't know. If you go out on the public road and blast a hole in someone's car door what would be the charge? Both would be detroying someone's property while niether was on your property, no?

If you know, please quote or paste a link here.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And was it within 75m of buildings, animals, or people? Did it have the proper identification marked on it? Is it legal to discharge firearms in that location? There are several factors that would have to be considered.
Assuming it's flying, none of the answers really matter in regards to shooting it do they? I'll stick with my parked car story line. A car is parked in a no parking zone on public property. At what point are you allowed to shoot a hole in it, assuming it's legal to discharge a firearm.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I was just responding to someone who said "but one thing for sure , if you shoot it down , your going to JAIL"

If it were shot it would probably be within 75m of the shooter and probably within the same distance from buildings. If it were shot it probably would be a place where the discharge of firearm is allowed. Having never shot down a drone I do not know if there would be any identification.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
I don't know. If you go out on the public road and blast a hole in someone's car door what would be the charge? Both would be detroying someone's property while niether was on your property, no?

If you know, please quote or paste a link here.
That's what I thought. You don't know!
Old 03-18-2017, 05:18 PM

If someone installed an unauthorized surveillance device on private property the owner of the property is within his/her rights to destroy it. Why would a flying unmanned surveillance device be any different?
Old 03-18-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Are you a RCMP or FAA Officer? If yes, you know the answer, if not, nunya.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
If someone installed an unauthorized surveillance device on private property the owner of the property is within his/her rights to destroy it. Why would a flying unmanned surveillance device be any different?
Because it's not "on" your property.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Prove you were being surveiled by the UAV.
Burden of proof and intent has to be proven.
By both sides.

It is going to be hilarious when all the reports start flooding in, without proof it should be filed as filing a false claim and the accuser will be charged.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Are you a RCMP or FAA Officer? If yes, you know the answer, if not, nunya.
If it was flying within 75m of me or my home, it would be my business. And if I shot it down, and it was being flown illegally, the owner likely wouldn't want it to be his business. With the risk of a fine that could be much more than the cost of the drone, he would likely want to just forget all about it.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:38 PM
Banned

Default ,

Quote:
If one did shoot down a drone on private property what would the shooter be charged with?

shooting at an aircraft from private property and if in the city , ilegaly shooting a gun
Old 03-18-2017, 05:40 PM
Banned

Quote:

Not allowed to shoot at any aircraft from any property , drones are aircraft under the law
Old 03-18-2017, 05:43 PM

Talking

Quote:
If it was flying within 75m of me or my home, it would be my business. And if I shot it down, and it was being flown illegally, the owner likely wouldn't want it to be his business. With the risk of a fine that could be much more than the cost of the drone, he would likely want to just forget all about it.
Hahaha- oh that is just too funny. Hilarious

Drone owners beware!

Now I am truly and completely amused.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:47 PM
Gone Hunting

I have to ask...why would a guy want to fly his drone over somebody else's (assuming not a friends) house and video it??
Old 03-18-2017, 06:10 PM

Recon for a robbery
Old 03-18-2017, 06:15 PM

Do inventory on the yard and see if there is anything to sell them maybe....lol
Old 03-18-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Hahaha- oh that is just too funny. Hilarious

Drone owners beware!

Now I am truly and completely amused.
Drone owners should be aware of their "you don't own the air" attitude is offensive.

I am glad this all amuses you. Until drone owners start to respect the privacy of others, put me down as anti drone. I think the legislation needs to be more restrictive, Make what you want of that.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
I have to ask...why would a guy want to fly his drone over somebody else's (assuming not a friends) house and video it??
Enroute from a to b
Not everything is intrusive
Old 03-18-2017, 06:21 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Enroute from a to b
Not everything is intrusive
I can see that..it just seemed some people were saying that they were hovering over their houses or property, going from point A to B should be no concern what so ever
Old 03-18-2017, 06:24 PM
Banned

The ultimate conspiracy theory involves drones.

Considering DJI drones are linked to GPS, they conceivably could be transmitting all footage to a central location. They have completed the ultimate surveillance system with little to no resistance from the general public. While unlikely, it would not surprise me.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
I can see that..it just seemed some people were saying that they were hovering over their houses or property, going from point A to B should be no concern what so ever
Most people I have talked to have said the same thing. 0 problem flying over but I agree hovering causes the concern. I was asked to take pictures of a house for a friend trying to sell, and the neighbor 150m away ran to the village office to file a complaint.
My SFOC will ensure I don't have to worry about this anymore, but unfortunately now I am going to charge whereas before I was doing it for free.
Idiots take the fun out of volunteering and turn a hobby into a job.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Drone owners should be aware of their "you don't own the air" attitude is offensive.

I am glad this all amuses you. Until drone owners start to respect the privacy of others, put me down as anti drone. I think the legislation needs to be more restrictive, Make what you want of that.
Believe it or not, I am a homeowner, just like you. I know the air above me does not belong to me. I do not have the attitude you refer to.

Would it make you happy if all drones were banned? All airplanes? Helicopters?

Someone in this thread said 'I will fight for your drones when you fight for me when it comes to handgun carry.'

Your Anti-attitude in here makes me think that the Anti's are going to win, they are becoming a force on AO.

I can see a shift coming, when people like you say people in the hobby we enjoy are encrouching on your civil liberties, although you have very likely NEVER even seen a drone over your house, but are jumping on the Anti bandwagon. I think shortly you should expect less help with trailhead closures, firearm restrictions, hunting bans, fishing policies, poaching and F&W enforcement, etc if this is the way you guys are going to swing.

I am kind of disgusted that people in here whine constantly about 'lazy cops, photo radar, speed limits too low, drugs should be legal, that kind of garbage that actually ruins families and kills people, yet take a rock hard stand against flying toys.

You are moving me from amused to disgusted.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:45 PM

It's pretty simple.

Parks aren't free.
Highways and roads aren't free.
The process has begun to collect for the use of airspace by drones.

I don't know I don't own one. Does a drone operator have to carry insurance when flying over private or public property?
Old 03-19-2017, 07:49 AM

Ken07AOVette, I have a couple of questions. Where do you fly your drone the most? Around your neighborhood or different areas? Is it the flying aspect that you enjoy the most or that along with video recording the areas you're flying?

I ask because you're so offended by these regulations and by those who support them. As I previously stated, I have friends who have drones who take theirs out many places, hardly ever in town. These new regulations don't really bother them since they typically don't fly their drones in the no go zones that are in the regulations.

Personally, I don't see the attraction of those who simply fly them over their neighborhood on regular occasions, how many great videos can be recorded of the same area? Instead of being offended because the general public doesn't like the idea of hovering drones over properties, be offended by those who do so without regard to their neighbors. It's these people that are criticized, not those who use the drones respectfully and responsibly.

Your need to compare a drone to a skateboarder or vehicle driving by a property or airplanes and helicopters on the same level as a drone is day to night. Only drones have the ability to be overly invasive of someone's idea of privacy and yes, just because I live in an urban area, I expect a certain degree of privacy in my back yard.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:06 AM

You don't see the attraction. That should end it for you, no?
Old 03-19-2017, 09:40 AM

One question, just who is going to enforce all of these wonderful new rules & regulations that are supposed to make Canada & Alberta some kind of Utopia for all? The only way to catch someone using a drone improperly is to actually see them operating it (good luck with their range), or knock it out of the sky.

To me this ranks right up there with having a 25 shot clip for my 10/22. If I'm sitting in the middle of my field shooting gophers, is someone going to be counting rounds fired in quick succession to determine I'm using one?

This is beginning to take on aspects of OHV use as well. If you don't ride one, you don't care if areas are being closed to use. Just because a few out of many used them improperly. Ban it altogether just to appease those that don't ride. Now it's drones. One guy flies over his neighbor's backyards snooping (improper), and suddenly flying a drone is somehow going to be the end of everyone's privacy, so start the banning process via regulation.

Maybe I'm having a bad morning, but all this crap seems to be the result of an ever encroaching police-like-state. All to vigorous applause.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by histyle View Post
One question, just who is going to enforce all of these wonderful new rules & regulations that are supposed to make Canada & Alberta some kind of Utopia for all? The only way to catch someone using a drone improperly is to actually see them operating it (good luck with their range), or knock it out of the sky.

To me this ranks right up there with having a 25 shot clip for my 10/22. If I'm sitting in the middle of my field shooting gophers, is someone going to be counting rounds fired in quick succession to determine I'm using one?

This is beginning to take on aspects of OHV use as well. If you don't ride one, you don't care if areas are being closed to use. Just because a few out of many used them improperly. Ban it altogether just to appease those that don't ride. Now it's drones. One guy flies over his neighbor's backyards snooping (improper), and suddenly flying a drone is somehow going to be the end of everyone's privacy, so start the banning process via regulation.

Maybe I'm having a bad morning, but all this crap seems to be the result of an ever encroaching police-like-state. All to vigorous applause.
From Transport Canada's website:
Report an emergency
Contact your local police department immediately if someone is flying a drone in a way that poses a threat to safety, security, or privacy.

"911 What is your emergency?" Someone is flying a drone, I don't think they have a SFOC, they may have flown too close to a beaver, it looks like they are flying above the 90m limit, and it's 27 minutes past sunset. Send someone quick.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:16 AM

Canadian Tire has entered the retail drone world. All low end stuff, no 12.6 prohibs, but lots of flying fun to upset the Nancy boys of AO. The more people in the hobby the more push back against the gun/drone grabbers we have.

These new laws will be largely ignored, most won't even have heard about them.

The wind is dying the cows are 3/4 mile away I'm going to use the drone. Report me if you'd like.

Have a good day!

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw

Last edited by hillbillyreefer; 03-19-2017 at 10:30 AM.