Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2017, 09:24 PM

These new regulations are impotent chest beatings to appease the NIMBY crowd, nothing more. They are going to annoy an already overworked understaffed Police presence.

How are they going to enforce it? If a nosy neighbor calls the RCMP and says 'a drone flew over my house' then what? Show me proof, or fill your boots. Date, time, height, distance from the house, and I want to see the video proving that it was my drone.

I call it impotent for several reasons; there are no FAA identifying call signs on the drones for positive identification of the unit, so the burden of proof is on them (witness or Crown) to prove ownership of the drone.
Unless 'they' catch the person controlling the drone they are pointing fingers.
My flights are all tracked on the app used to fly the drones, on purpose.
Now under SFOC, I had no intention of doing any recreational flying in or near town anyway, these new rules make it impossible now (for law abiding flyers).
I just saw it on the News, and it is online everywhere.

Taken to the letter of the law, you can not even fly them within 75 m laterally of your own house or building, or over any road. There will be appeals that will set precedence, or it will turn into 'to bypass the 75m inclusion you will have to pay $200 per incident' kind of crap.

I forsee a whole lot of civil court filings, for damages and liable by responsible drone owners and advocates for unfounded criminal charges and threats of fines. I know if I am 'charged' with flying a drone and it is found to be unfounded without proof I would be going after the accuser for loss if I have to defend myself or seek council.
It may get ugly. I don't mind a good fight.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:25 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsight View Post
just get a frequince jammer and watch it fall.no firearm required.
Ewww dirty play! Me Likey

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-16-2017, 09:28 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
These new regulations are impotent chest beatings to appease the NIMBY crowd, nothing more. They are going to annoy an already overworked understaffed Police presence.

How are they going to enforce it? If a nosy neighbor calls the RCMP and says 'a drone flew over my house' then what? Show me proof, or fill your boots. Date, time, height, distance from the house, and I want to see the video proving that it was my drone.

I call it impotent for several reasons; there are no FAA identifying call signs on the drones for positive identification of the unit, so the burden of proof is on them (witness or Crown) to prove ownership of the drone.
Unless 'they' catch the person controlling the drone they are pointing fingers.
My flights are all tracked on the app used to fly the drones, on purpose.
Now under SFOC, I had no intention of doing any recreational flying in or near town anyway, these new rules make it impossible now (for law abiding flyers).
I just saw it on the News, and it is online everywhere.

Taken to the letter of the law, you can not even fly them within 75 m laterally of your own house or building, or over any road. There will be appeals that will set precedence, or it will turn into 'to bypass the 75m inclusion you will have to pay $200 per incident' kind of crap.

I forsee a whole lot of civil court filings, for damages and liable by responsible drone owners and advocates for unfounded criminal charges and threats of fines. I know if I am 'charged' with flying a drone and it is found to be unfounded without proof I would be going after the accuser for loss if I have to defend myself or seek council.
It may get ugly. I don't mind a good fight.
I knew this was the destiny of the drone due to meatheads that misused the jet ski etc and in came the pleasure craft operator licence....this will be the next step to drone operation if not worse.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-16-2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I knew this was the destiny of the drone due to meatheads that misused the jet ski etc and in came the pleasure craft operator licence....this will be the next step to drone operation if not worse.
I agree. BUT- under the SFOC you CAN fly IF you make application showing TIME LOCATION DURATION HEIGHT and get permission from home/business owners for these very specific circumstances including road control.

Money grab coming, you watch!
Old 03-16-2017, 10:13 PM
Banned

I support strict, heavy handed drone regulation and overbearing taxation.

After all, I don't have one so it will not affect me.

[/sarc]
Old 03-16-2017, 10:17 PM

What is SFOC?
Old 03-16-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
What is SFOC?
Special Flight Operation Certificate

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviati...rtificate.html
Old 03-16-2017, 10:34 PM

Thank you
Old 03-16-2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
They should be banned in urban areas all together IMO.
If enforced, these regulations basically did ban them from urban areas. Not many places you could go in the city that aren't within 75 m of a house, person, car, or animal.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
When a "hobby" encroaches on someone else's privacy then there needs to be regulations.

You can thank all of the *****hats out there like my neighbor and his son who pulled out their drone every time someone had a backyard BBQ last summer. They weren't even subtle about it, often times the dad would make a comment when we'd see him outside such as "good looking steaks the other night". Some of our friends don't even want to come over for BBQ's anymore because of the frequency of when the drone would be scoping out the yards.

The son went so far as to hover over another yard in the neighborhood when the 16 year old daughter and her friends were out suntanning in the yard. The girl's dad put a stop to that fairly quickly but drones in urban areas are becoming a problem when they're invading someone's privacy.

Your had a horrific life altering experience, someone flying a toy near you or your neighbors daughter so they should all be banned?
I have to suffer and throw away thousands of dollars because you don't like them?
Old 03-17-2017, 01:35 AM
Banned

About time they sort this out.

There noisy too.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
The similarities between some on this site and good old Wendy Cukier are staggering.

You people use the same justification and fear,mongering as her to destroy others hobbies.

Congratulations.

Remember these same people are writing new firearms rules as we speak. I bet the drone owners won't be supporting gun owners. No 2 groups will stand up to the tyranny of government, so we all have our freedoms eroded. Just something for you antis to think about.
I see poachers flyen those things all over for the past 4 years,were checking our crops,were seeing if no one is trespassing,looking for my cow moose,i was checking for a quad that was stolen, the corn needs to be looked at ,i heard a hundred lies because there to lazy to give fair chase,so go give your belly full of wind out to them and tell them who made the mess,we never wrecked this deal the owners did uncle cracker.Real hunters don't need to buy these so your blowen wind in the wrong direction.
They nailed 18 guys last year for hunting with them in Manitoba,so they missed over a 100 for sure doing so, other excuses my grow op is being watch by the feds so I need this to watch them and on and on.Then we all get heat over some donkeys chasen the wildlife..If homeland security in the usa catches you in the wrong places with your new hobby toy,you get to wear hunter orange all year.And please don't let me think you really like gun owners .CHEERS

Last edited by JD848; 03-17-2017 at 05:30 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:10 AM

All model aircraft are essentially banned. Where in Canada is there a location that has no animals within a 75m radius? Wildlife is not excluded so animals includes rodents, insects, birds, fish, etc.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
I see poachers flyen those things all over for the past 4 years,were checking our crops,were seeing if no one is trespassing,looking for my cow moose,i was checking for a quad that was stolen, the corn needs to be looked at ,i heard a hundred lies because there to lazy to give fair chase,so go give your belly full of wind out to them and tell them who made the mess,we never wrecked this deal the owners did uncle cracker.Real hunters don't need to buy these so your blowen wind in the wrong direction.
They nailed 18 guys last year for hunting with them in Manitoba,so they missed over a 100 for sure doing so, other excuses my grow op is being watch by the feds so I need this to watch them and on and on.Then we all get heat over some donkeys chasen the wildlife..If homeland security in the usa catches you in the wrong places with your new hobby toy,you get to wear hunter orange all year.And please don't let me think you really like gun owners .CHEERS
Yup, just like gun control, go after the people not causing the problem. You say yourself 18 guys were busted last year, obviously there are already rules against using them in MB for hunting. Using your gun control logic making it "double illegal" will stop the problems.

There already were rules against using them in the "wrong" place, has been for years.

These rules go after everyone doing anything with any model aircraft.

Enjoy the use of your firearms, the same thinking you are using here is at this moment creating new rules to further destroy your hobby. After all jackwads sometimes poach with guns, so you need to be restricted.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 03-17-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Your had a horrific life altering experience, someone flying a toy near you or your neighbors daughter so they should all be banned?
I have to suffer and throw away thousands of dollars because you don't like them?
If people can't respect another's right to privacy on their own property, then yes. Sorry if you can't fly your toy over other people's properties but why would you want to anyway? I have friends who have drones but they don't use them in town, they go out into the country with them.

Like I said, thank all of the *****hats who use these irresponsibly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
That is clearly crossing lines.

Have you talked with your neighbor explaining it makes you and your guests feel awkward and uncomfortable when he does that, not to mention it's just in poor taste?

Not insinuating you personally but it's amazing how many people will stew over neighbors actions and vent about them without ever knocking on his door to have a friendly conversation.

I believe they should absolutely NOT be banned in urban areas, if a kid or anyone for that matter wants to go to the school field in the evening and use one he should be allowed to.

Had a neighbor with one last summer & he would do the occasional quick fly-by, didn't bother me one bit. If he wants to have a look at me sitting on my deck having a beer, have at er. Dosent bother me at all. This whole ban everything mindset really needs to stop
Yes, the 2nd time he commented about how great our dinner looked, my husband said something and guess what the response was? "You don't own the space above your property". It wasn't the occasional quick fly by, he flies the stupid thing all over the neighborhood all summer long and yes, it becomes irritating when we're simply trying to enjoy our backyard without his nosiness. It's no different than having a neighbor hang over the fence when you're in the backyard.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:15 AM

Ok, lets say, someone call the police to complain about a drone flying to low. Is this person qualified to say that the drone was flying at 200 ft ? There is no way to get proof of the distance .
This is gone be a waist of time for all the police force in this country.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
If people can't respect another's right to privacy on their own property, then yes. Sorry if you can't fly your toy over other people's properties but why would you want to anyway? I have friends who have drones but they don't use them in town, they go out into the country with them.

Like I said, thank all of the *****hats who use these irresponsibly.

Yes, the 2nd time he commented about how great our dinner looked, my husband said something and guess what the response was? "You don't own the space above your property". It wasn't the occasional quick fly by, he flies the stupid thing all over the neighborhood all summer long and yes, it becomes irritating when we're simply trying to enjoy our backyard without his nosiness. It's no different than having a neighbor hang over the fence when you're in the backyard.
So if someone drives past your house on a bike in a truck or skateboard do you feel the same loss of privacy? Bikes trucks and skateboards should be banned too?
Your paintbrush is a township wide.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
So if someone drives past your house on a bike in a truck or skateboard do you feel the same loss of privacy? Bikes trucks and skateboards should be banned too?
Your paintbrush is a township wide.

You're comparison is hardly reasonable. There's a difference between someone driving down the street than there is someone hovering over people's back yards with drones and their video cameras rolling. I doubt anyone would tolerate me hanging over their fence with my video camera recording and snooping on their back yard BBQ. In case you missed my first post, it wasn't a matter of him flying it around, minding his own business while enjoying his toy like someone does when driving or skate boarding by. He was snooping and was blatant about it when commenting on what people are cooking on their grills.

There have been a lot of instances where people are using their drones irresponsibly, snooping into people's homes and invading privacy. I don't lump all into the irresponsible but thanks to people like that, there needs to be more regulations. Sorry if you don't like that but someone's hobby doesn't supercede my right to enjoy the privacy of my back yard without being snooped on by irresponsible people.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
You're comparison is hardly reasonable. There's a difference between someone driving down the street than there is someone hovering over people's back yards with drones and their video cameras rolling. I doubt anyone would tolerate me hanging over their fence with my video camera recording and snooping on their back yard BBQ. In case you missed my first post, it wasn't a matter of him flying it around, minding his own business while enjoying his toy like someone does when driving or skate boarding by. He was snooping and was blatant about it when commenting on what people are cooking on their grills.

There have been a lot of instances where people are using their drones irresponsibly, snooping into people's homes and invading privacy. I don't lump all into the irresponsible but thanks to people like that, there needs to be more regulations. Sorry if you don't like that but someone's hobby doesn't supercede my right to enjoy the privacy of my back yard without being snooped on by irresponsible people.
X2
Old 03-17-2017, 09:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Actually accessing my property and flying a drone over it are completley different things. How can you equate trespassing on property someone actually has a deed to to an RC aircraft flying in airspace that isn't owned by anyone?

I bet you'd be more than happy to barge onto leaseland as it's public, yet the public's airspace you seem to have a problem with others using. Hmmmmm, I believe the word I'm looking for is "hypocrisy"
When their drone's camera is pointed in my window, you can dam well bet I consider it an invasion of my privacy.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:

Exactly, people driving down the street aren't looking over my 6 foot fence into my backyard, and they don't have a camera hovering a few yards from my windows.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Exactly, people driving down the street aren't looking over my 6 foot fence into my backyard, and they don't have a camera hovering a few yards from my windows.
You are actually having trouble with people snooping over your nuisance fence? Do you have pics of the drones looking into your windows?
Or are you just looking to up your post count?

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 03-17-2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsight View Post
just get a frequince jammer and watch it fall.no firearm required.
You can't break one law to enforce another there Mr. Vigilanti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/R-2/FullText.html

Radio Communications Act

Prohibitions
Marginal note:Prohibitions

(4) No person shall install, use, possess, manufacture, import, distribute, lease, offer for sale or sell a jammer.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:

Sure you do, right here

Quote:
When a "hobby" encroaches on someone else's privacy then there needs to be regulations.

You can thank all of the *****hats out there like my neighbor and his son who pulled out their drone every time someone had a backyard BBQ last summer. They weren't even subtle about it, often times the dad would make a comment when we'd see him outside such as "good looking steaks the other night". Some of our friends don't even want to come over for BBQ's anymore because of the frequency of when the drone would be scoping out the yards.

The son went so far as to hover over another yard in the neighborhood when the 16 year old daughter and her friends were out suntanning in the yard. The girl's dad put a stop to that fairly quickly but drones in urban areas are becoming a problem when they're invading someone's privacy.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
X2
Everything is an 'invasion of privacy' John. If you do not have a 6' high fence surrounding your house and someone glances over into your yard, or slows down when walking by are they invading your privacy?
Mind you the Police get calls all the time for ridiculous garbage, why should this be any different.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:51 AM

If the teenie weenie committee is so concerned about people looking in their windows what would have been wrong with making that practice illegal?

Why do you feel the need fine the **** out of me for checking crops,cows etc?

You guys won this one, enjoy your victory, the government is coming after you very soon.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 03-17-2017, 10:55 AM

Jeron.
Paragraph 1
You are correct. They are great. I agree completely.
Thanks for your opinion.
Isn't it wonderful to live somewhere we can have a civil conversation about almost everything? Canada truly is great.

Paragraph 2
I do understand. Lets look at this scenario. Lets say on a normal town block of 20 houses, 3 are standing outside. The drone flies past at 40 mph 300' up, 125 yards away laterally. 1 of them panics because they are continually hearing how evil these flying camera's are, 1 waves at it because they are cool, 1 thinks 'the hornets are back already? The other home owners are at work, or in the house oblivious to the fact that a toy flew over.
Reason for all this widespread panic? Is the paranoia you and others feel justified?

Paragraph 3

Then you tell me what to do.
lol

Another case of 'I have absolutely no horse in this race, but I must be involved'.
Not everyone disagrees with me, you feel the need to insist I drop it and go outside? Haha, nice.

As you said, you have nothing against them, never been bothered by them, it appears 0 interaction at all.

Why not let us have our conversation? If you don't like the topic, change the channel. I do not need to be censored or ordered around by you, I am free white and over 21 (Mom's favorite saying, bhh )
Bye.

Last edited by catnthehat; 03-19-2017 at 04:18 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:03 AM
Banned

Ken when you fight for my right to safely carry a concealed handgun, I will fight for your drones.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Ken when you fight for my right to safely carry a concealed handgun, I will fight for your drones.
I am not asking anyone to fight for me.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:09 AM

/**/

Last edited by Jeron Kahyar; 03-17-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeron Kahyar View Post
Whoa whoa there Ken. I'm not trying to tell you what to do at all. I'm just suggesting that arguing on an internet fourm has little bearing on the issue and life is to short to waist.

Don't go getting mad at me, I don't give a crap if you want to shove that drone where the sun don't shine. Your business not mine. Continue your argument into the pointless or not. Sorry for poking my nose were it apparently doesn't belong on this public form. Not like I was just trying to make a suggestion to brighten up your day.
Yet here you are arguing lol, see the irony?
Not mad even a little bit, kind of amused actually.
Feel free to drop by anytime, I will actually show you what drones can and can not do, and then we can talk about 'shoving that drone' if you feel the need to assert yourself.
Again, read my retort where I mentioned your first paragraph, it was fine until you went off the rails.
Have a nice day. Other than a little grey it is a wonderful day!