Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2017, 09:36 AM

Default New Drone Regulations Announced

The new regulations have been announced. What used to be guidelines have now been made regulations.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cana...neau-1.4027486
Old 03-16-2017, 10:39 AM
Banned

Default '

So this means l can fly over your house at 80 metres and take pics of your naked wife on the lawn ,as long as l don't go below 75 metres , rightRIGHT
Old 03-16-2017, 11:10 AM

"But he added that Transport Canada has noticed a large increase in the number of reported safety incidents involving drones in the last three years: 41 in 2014, 85 in 2015 and 148 last year."

I WOULD LIKE FOR SOMEONE TO EXPLAIN WHAT 'SAFETY INCIDENTS' THEY ARE REFERRING TO. THAT IS A PRETTY BROAD SPECTRUM. IF A GUY CRASHES ONE INTO HIS OWN HOUSE, CAR OR FAMILY THEN THE LAW PROTECTS IDIOTS. THE ARTICLE MADE ME LAUGH. SOMETHING TO DRUM UP NEWS IMO
Old 03-16-2017, 11:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskinner View Post
So this means l can fly over your house at 80 metres and take pics of your naked wife on the lawn ,as long as l don't go below 75 metres , rightRIGHT
your wife is naked on your lawn? i think you have bigger concerns
Old 03-16-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Honestly not sure how this argument always comes up with drones. It wasn't legal to video your Naked wife in your backyard before drones, still isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/section-162.html
Voyeurism

162 (1) Every one commits an offence who, surreptitiously, observes — including by mechanical or electronic means — or makes a visual recording of a person who is in circumstances that give rise to a reasonable expectation of privacy, if

(a) the person is in a place in which a person can reasonably be expected to be nude, to expose his or her genital organs or anal region or her breasts, or to be engaged in explicit sexual activity;

(b) the person is nude, is exposing his or her genital organs or anal region or her breasts, or is engaged in explicit sexual activity, and the observation or recording is done for the purpose of observing or recording a person in such a state or engaged in such an activity; or

(c) the observation or recording is done for a sexual purpose
Old 03-16-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
The 75m is horizontal. Basically can't fly over anyone not involved in the drone operations.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
your wife is naked on your lawn? i think you have bigger concerns
Read again ,NOT MY WIFE ,yours
Old 03-16-2017, 11:41 AM
Banned

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
The 75m is horizontal. Basically can't fly over anyone not involved in the drone operations.

NOPE , the way l read it ,it says l cant be within 75 meters , nothing said about horizontal , just have to be over 75 metres away from house ,vertical or horizontal , but not over 90 metres high , so if l fly over your house at 80 metres , l should be within the law.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
The 75m pretty much makes it illegal to fly them in your own back yard in most cities. Even if the distance was straight line, you couldn't take off or land without passing within 75m of another home in most city locations.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:43 AM

For God Sakes Elkhunter and Fish e o,

If your wife is outside naked on the lawn right now, at least go offer her a blanket or something. She could be suffering frost bite!

Drewski
Old 03-16-2017, 11:58 AM

maybe they are not far off, but....

Calculate the effective vertical range of a 12 ga. shotgun firing a 3 1/2" load of BB. THAT should be the altitude limit. If you can bring down a drone with said load, the act of doing so should be perfectly legal. Also easily enforceable
Old 03-16-2017, 12:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
there i go i drank too much again and got a wife
Old 03-16-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
NOPE , the way l read it ,it says l cant be within 75 meters , nothing said about horizontal , just have to be over 75 metres away from house ,vertical or horizontal , but not over 90 metres high , so if l fly over your house at 80 metres , l should be within the law.
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/i...-aircraft.html

Is the actual interm order that they are talking about.

Don't rely on a news article for all your legal advice.

One thing I think they are going to have to change is that drones are UAV's and not model aircraft. Transport Canada has posted the above new rules for drone users and it states 75m lateral distance.

(5) (1) A person must not operate a model aircraft

(a) at an altitude greater than 300 feet AGL;
(b) at a lateral distance of less than 250 feet (75m) from buildings, structures, vehicles, vessels, animals and the public including spectators, bystanders or any person not associated with the operation of the aircraft;
(c) within 9 km of the centre of an aerodrome;
(d) within controlled airspace;
(e) within restricted airspace;
(f) over or within a forest fire area, or any area that is located within 9 km of a forest fire area;
(g) over or within the security perimeter of a police or first responder emergency operation site;
(h) over or within an open-air assembly of persons;
(i) at night; or
(j) in cloud.

Transport Canada's info site for Drone operations in Canada
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviati...y-legally.html
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:21 PM

The similarities between some on this site and good old Wendy Cukier are staggering.

You people use the same justification and fear,mongering as her to destroy others hobbies.

Congratulations.

Remember these same people are writing new firearms rules as we speak. I bet the drone owners won't be supporting gun owners. No 2 groups will stand up to the tyranny of government, so we all have our freedoms eroded. Just something for you antis to think about.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 03-16-2017, 01:49 PM
Banned

I don't even have a drone, so the more regulations the better.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
The similarities between some on this site and good old Wendy Cukier are staggering.

You people use the same justification and fear,mongering as her to destroy others hobbies.

Congratulations.

Remember these same people are writing new firearms rules as we speak. I bet the drone owners won't be supporting gun owners. No 2 groups will stand up to the tyranny of government, so we all have our freedoms eroded. Just something for you antis to think about.
When a "hobby" encroaches on someone else's privacy then there needs to be regulations.

You can thank all of the *****hats out there like my neighbor and his son who pulled out their drone every time someone had a backyard BBQ last summer. They weren't even subtle about it, often times the dad would make a comment when we'd see him outside such as "good looking steaks the other night". Some of our friends don't even want to come over for BBQ's anymore because of the frequency of when the drone would be scoping out the yards.

The son went so far as to hover over another yard in the neighborhood when the 16 year old daughter and her friends were out suntanning in the yard. The girl's dad put a stop to that fairly quickly but drones in urban areas are becoming a problem when they're invading someone's privacy.

They should be banned in urban areas all together IMO.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
When a "hobby" encroaches on someone else's privacy then there needs to be regulations.

You can thank all of the *****hats out there like my neighbor and his son who pulled out their drone every time someone had a backyard BBQ last summer. They weren't even subtle about it, often times the dad would make a comment when we'd see him outside such as "good looking steaks the other night". Some of our friends don't even want to come over for BBQ's anymore because of the frequency of when the drone would be scoping out the yards.

The son went so far as to hover over another yard in the neighborhood when the 16 year old daughter and her friends were out suntanning in the yard. The girl's dad put a stop to that fairly quickly but drones in urban areas are becoming a problem when they're invading someone's privacy.

As with most things, a few idiots usually ruin it for everyone. And that 75m distance will pretty much rule out drone use in most neighborhoods.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:04 PM

Are these laws just inside urban areas or do they include rural areas? Drones could be good for checking cows but the 500m rule away from user would ruin that. Not that it would stop me.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:54 PM
Banned

Quote:

Congratulations.

I find your sign-off quote interesting.
You complain that people think it their right to have hunting access and such to your property...but I should have to put up with some jakwad who wants to intrude on my privacy.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:

That is clearly crossing lines.

Have you talked with your neighbor explaining it makes you and your guests feel awkward and uncomfortable when he does that, not to mention it's just in poor taste?

Not insinuating you personally but it's amazing how many people will stew over neighbors actions and vent about them without ever knocking on his door to have a friendly conversation.

I believe they should absolutely NOT be banned in urban areas, if a kid or anyone for that matter wants to go to the school field in the evening and use one he should be allowed to.

Had a neighbor with one last summer & he would do the occasional quick fly-by, didn't bother me one bit. If he wants to have a look at me sitting on my deck having a beer, have at er. Dosent bother me at all. This whole ban everything mindset really needs to stop
Old 03-16-2017, 07:28 PM

just get a frequince jammer and watch it fall.no firearm required.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:

These rules will be about as effective as the gun registry and licensing keeping criminals from obtaining firearms. They will be less effective actually, when is a cop going to waste his time chasing a drone pilot?

Oh well, let the banning continue, soon enough you'll lose something you care about.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 03-16-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
These rules will be about as effective as the gun registry and licensing keeping criminals from obtaining firearms. They will be less effective actually, when is a cop going to waste his time chasing a drone pilot?

Oh well, let the banning continue, soon enough you'll lose something you care about.
They were interested last year in Fort McMurray when reported.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I find your sign-off quote interesting.
You complain that people think it their right to have hunting access and such to your property...but I should have to put up with some jakwad who wants to intrude on my privacy.
Actually accessing my property and flying a drone over it are completley different things. How can you equate trespassing on property someone actually has a deed to to an RC aircraft flying in airspace that isn't owned by anyone?

I bet you'd be more than happy to barge onto leaseland as it's public, yet the public's airspace you seem to have a problem with others using. Hmmmmm, I believe the word I'm looking for is "hypocrisy"

Old 03-16-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
They were interested last year in Fort McMurray when reported.
When people were flying them during the fire? I'd imagine they were, no different than flying them around an airport.

Some manufacturers put the distance limitations around aerodromes into their software, the drone won't take off or fly into the controlled zone.

Different than around the fire I realize.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Actually accessing my property and flying a drone over it are completley different things. How can you equate trespassing on property someone actually has a deed to to an RC aircraft flying in airspace that isn't owned by anyone?

I bet you'd be more than happy to barge onto leaseland as it's public, yet the public's airspace you seem to have a problem with others using. Hmmmmm, I believe the word I'm looking for is "hypocrisy"
So if someone shot an animal on your property from another property, and then retrieved it with a helicopter without setting foot on your property, you would have no issue with that?
Old 03-16-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So if someone shot an animal on your property from another property, and then retrieved it with a helicopter without setting foot on your property, you would have no issue with that?
Oh, FFS. No why would I? They never trespassed. I'm going to hold my breath waiting for something that stupid to happen.

I'm sure you'd freak out and call the fish cops because they were "using an aircraft" to hunt. At least that's what I gather from some of the comments in the "drone for checking my decoy spread" thread.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
When people were flying them during the fire? I'd imagine they were, no different than flying them around an airport.

Some manufacturers put the distance limitations around aerodromes into their software, the drone won't take off or fly into the controlled zone.

Different than around the fire I realize.
Yes flying inside the NOTAM. It is unfortunate, but it is those types that are ruining it for the responsible users.

I was looking at buying one, but with all the new regulations coming into force not so eager to anymore.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Yes flying inside the NOTAM. It is unfortunate, but it is those types that are ruining it for the responsible users.

I was looking at buying one, but with all the new regulations coming into force not so eager to anymore.
Guys getting nailed for that I have absolutely no problem with. I've been around light aircraft all my life, and know lots of pilots.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:24 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
You guys are awesome....drone launched...pics to follow soon.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...