Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-02-2017, 03:26 PM

Smile Spray lakes ice fishing

Hi guys,

Was wondering if anyone's been on the ice lately at spray lakes? How thick is the ice now ? My first time fishing there will be tomorrow any help with where to park or drill and set up would be great.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-02-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardwaterdog View Post
Hi guys,

Was wondering if anyone's been on the ice lately at spray lakes? How thick is the ice now ? My first time fishing there will be tomorrow any help with where to park or drill and set up would be great.

Thanks in advance
Let me know how it goes. Hoping to go next weekend.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 01-02-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardwaterdog View Post
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance
Two popular spots to park are at Driftwood or Sparrowhawk day use areas. I was up there 2 weeks ago and the ice was about 8" or 9", so it's probably a few inches thicker by now. If you fish in 70 - 90 ' of water, closer to the bottom, that's usually where the lakers seem to be. I've never really targeted the whites in there, but I hear they are usually caught in much shallower water. Just a word of warning... it's usually quite windy out there most of the time, so be prepared.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Two popular spots to park are at Driftwood or Sparrowhawk day use areas. I was up there 2 weeks ago and the ice was about 8" or 9", so it's probably a few inches thicker by now. If you fish in 70 - 90 ' of water, closer to the bottom, that's usually where the lakers seem to be. I've never really targeted the whites in there, but I hear they are usually caught in much shallower water. Just a word of warning... it's usually quite windy out there most of the time, so be prepared.

All great points and info.

I was out there about 10 days ago....12" of solid ice at Sparrowhawk.
Typically the bite is better 7-10am than any other time.
The wind started at 10am last trip, and it howled until we left at 1pm.
Highly recommend setting up a shelter, and be sure to bring plenty of ice anchors for it.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:54 AM

If I remember correctly, Fishin Doctor has a you tube episode on Spray Lake
Old 01-19-2017, 12:09 AM

Anybody been out here this week? How's the ice, Any floodwater?
Old 01-19-2017, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta_Redneck View Post
Anybody been out here this week? How's the ice, Any floodwater?
I was out last Sunday, ice was about a foot thick, no floodwater where I was, which was Sparrowhawk. That was all before our week of Chinook weather though.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:25 AM

Anyone know if youre allowed to overnight fish at spray?
Old 01-19-2017, 07:56 AM

couple soft spots at driftwood where shacks were and there is big section of floodwater on top about 4-6inches deep watch out for wet feet. about 12 inches ice as of monday morning
Old 01-19-2017, 11:56 AM

anyone getting any whites on spray?
Old 01-20-2017, 07:43 PM

Fished spray today, no water on the lake at all. Actually a fair amount of snow. Fishing was really slow. Watched a few other groups and didn't see them pull up and any fish.
Old 01-21-2017, 02:50 PM

Default Saturday

Just got back...really slow fishing.

We were on the lake before sunrise, which is usually a recipe for success. No dice today. Had 3 bites total, landed one laker about 10" long. Gorgeous day, almost no wind. Had to be 100 vehicles minimum parked at Driftwood and Sparrowhawk combined.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwee6 View Post
Just got back...really slow fishing.

We were on the lake before sunrise, which is usually a recipe for success. No dice today. Had 3 bites total, landed one laker about 10" long. Gorgeous day, almost no wind. Had to be 100 vehicles minimum parked at Driftwood and Sparrowhawk combined.
Similar experience today. Went to a spot where I can usually get lakers and whitefish; fished from 8:45-2:00. Never even saw a fish.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 01-23-2017, 09:07 AM

Went on Saturday, was on a lake from 8 to 12. Got 10 total, biggest was 18". Missed many bites, almost lost a fishing rod in a hole Great day!
Old 01-23-2017, 09:46 AM

Sounds like a lot of fun. You seem to be the only one catching on Sat. what was your secret
Old 01-23-2017, 10:18 AM

No secret really, used a piece of smelt on tube jig, water depth 60-70ish feet.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:14 PM

Was out Sunday. 65' of water. Saw a bunch on the sonar but nothing was really interested. Couple hard taps but mostly soft bites. We only landed one small laker and that was it. Left around 1pm after I didn't see a fish on the screen for an hour straight.
Tried a bunch of different baits but the only thing that consistently had takes were a white tube jig and smelt.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2017, 12:27 PM

We did ok on Saturday too, saw a few others catching some fish, but overall, I'd say it was a bit slower than the average day out there.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:08 PM

I was surprised to see a quad driving around on the lake when I was there on Friday. I always thought that was a no no. He came from the north end and went south of sparrowhawk. He was down at the large groups of hunts you can see, I've been told those huts belong to a guide? He wasn't bothering anyone and kept away from all the groups fishing, just surprised me. I also saw more tracks marks in the snow.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta_Redneck View Post
I was surprised to see a quad driving around on the lake when I was there on Friday. I always thought that was a no no. He came from the north end and went south of sparrowhawk. He was down at the large groups of hunts you can see, I've been told those huts belong to a guide? He wasn't bothering anyone and kept away from all the groups fishing, just surprised me. I also saw more tracks marks in the snow.
I had F&W visit my tent the week before on an old Skidoo, kind of surprised me because I didn't think any motorized vehicles were allowed. I'm curious what the rules are too.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:16 PM

anyone having better luck thus week??
Old 01-27-2017, 12:40 PM

No motorized vehicles except F&W apparently, and also the sled dog operators who drive a sled to pick up dog crap. I've seen people get tickets a few times out there.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:04 PM

The outfitters have a permit that allows them to quad or snowmobile out and back from their huts.

BS for sure but some seem to have certain entitlements that the rest of us do not/
Old 01-28-2017, 08:22 PM

Was out there today from roughly 9:30-3. Landed 3 smaller ones between 8"-14" and let them all go. Had another 10 or so bites on top of the 3 landed ones.
Old 01-29-2017, 09:11 AM

How was them hurricane winds....brutal yesterday
Old 02-02-2017, 07:23 AM

anyone wanna meet up sunday morning for a fish?
Old 02-02-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay.stokker View Post
anyone wanna meet up sunday morning for a fish?
going to mcgregor instead to catch some whites srry would go but i hav eto because my friend from america is visting. Use buzz bombs with shiner or spoon glow with long shank hook and thread shinner on that. dead stick or jig
Old 02-03-2017, 07:12 PM

Another slow day on the ice, only managed 4 fish between the two of us. 3 were really small less then 10". This is the first year I've fished spray, been there 3 times so far. The last time I was there was 2 weeks ago. I couldn't believe how much the water level has dropped since then . I Probably had to walk out 100 yards past where we fished before to get to the same depth that We fished before..
Old 02-10-2017, 02:02 PM

how much snow is on spray? anyone been past few days with these storms? anyone heading out monday morning??
Old 02-10-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay.stokker View Post
how much snow is on spray? anyone been past few days with these storms? anyone heading out monday morning??
We're probably going to try our luck tomorrow, I'll try to remember to post a report.

Tags
ice fishing, spray lake