Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2017, 04:56 AM

Default To serve and protect

Couldn't get a cab after a night of drinking so my friend and me decided to stumble the three miles home. I saw headlights and thought it was a cab so I started waving. Turned out to be a RCMP cruiser that pulled over, I explained that we had been drinking and could not find a cab. The officer asked for our ID and ran a check on us and then told us we were a danger walking along a dark roadway so he then drove us home, all the while talking about local hockey and generally shooting the bull. This is what community is all about. So nice to meet a young fella willing to help out a couple of stumbling old fellas.

Last edited by The Cook; 03-22-2017 at 05:07 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:31 AM

Awesome, sounds like something that would happen in the 70-80's. Good on him.

LC
Old 03-22-2017, 06:47 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Just keeping the public safe!

Awesome to hear!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-22-2017, 06:49 AM

Good on the cop, but even better on you and your buddy for not driving! Way to go!!
Old 03-22-2017, 06:58 AM

Happened to us in our small town when i was 19. Three of us walked out of the bar just as the cop was entering. He offered us a ride home. Even let us put a 24 of beer in the trunk. Once we were in the car, he asked where we lived. I told him I lived out in the country 7.5 miles out of town. I am sure i heard him curse under his breath.

We arrived at my house only to find out that some of my friends decided to throw me a surprise party at my house. House was full of people. For a joke, we told the cop to throw on the sirens and lights. It was so funny to watch everyone in the house scramble around trying to hide.

We just grabbed our beer,thanked the cop and promised him that no one is leaving the house that night.

Small town cops were some of the nicest I have met over the years. For that, they really became part of the community and were well respected.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:01 AM

It's good to hear a nice story.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-22-2017, 08:34 AM

Smile Great news all around

First, good on you guys for not driving, that is wonderful news.

Second although it could be first, the Mountie should get a commendation too. That's the kind of Police work I can truly support.

A very happy ending.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:40 AM

The last time they told me they would give me a ride home I spent the night in the drunk tank lol, wont fall for that trick again. Still better then impaired driving though, plus I got a bacon and egger for breakfast before they sent me on my way the next morning. Kind of like a one star bed and breakfast.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:42 AM

Nice to hear!
Old 03-22-2017, 08:44 AM
Banned

Good on em for getting 2 dangerous drunks off the street

i'm kidding. I live close enough to a bar that it's a 10 minute stumble at best.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:49 AM

And here I was expecting another police bashing thread, this is weird.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:04 AM
Banned

Great story with even a greater outcome. This is a good post.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:01 PM

my buddy did the exact same thing one night and got thrown in the drunk tank, no bacon and egger. could go either way I guess, good on him for driving you home
Old 03-22-2017, 12:19 PM

The outcome could work either way. True. In my dealing with police it seems to be for the most part in a persons attitude.

In my younger days, any of the "unfair" treatment was well deserved.

The times I acted civil I was surprised how well I was treated and how most cops will go out of their way to help a guy out.

I think a lot of the "police brutality" is deserved.

Nice to recognise a kind deed and make a post about it. I too thought this would be a post about something they did wrong.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:24 PM
Banned

I can't begin to express how lucky I think you's were,,first being found by police and secondly them having time to drop you off at home safely,,

They are so busy lately , helping border jumpers to cross into Canada illegally ,,,,
Old 03-22-2017, 12:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
The officer asked for our ID and ran a check on us .

Does he have legal right to ask for your I.D.? You were not operating a vehicle. I suppose he can ask for anything and it's up to you to comply or not, but were you required to give your I.D.?

Then again, if you didn't he would have thrown you in the drunk tank like the guys above.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertScorpio View Post
Does he have legal right to ask for your I.D.? You were not operating a vehicle. I suppose he can ask for anything and it's up to you to comply or not, but were you required to give your I.D.?

Then again, if you didn't he would have thrown you in the drunk tank like the guys above.
There is no law in Canada that you have to carry ID on your person
Old 03-22-2017, 12:39 PM
Banned

Once many years ago I was waiting outside an establishment for a ride and the paddy wagon pulled up. I told them my ride was on the way. They proceeded to berate me for wasting their time and some other choice descriptive words. I told them they had no need to be there, and if they had better things to do then they should go and do those things as I was minutes from being on my way. This went back and forth for a bit and finally the cuffs were on, I was about to step (get thrown) in when my ride pulled up. They did not appreciate that. But I did not end up in the tank. They did not ask to see my ID.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:59 PM

I recall walking home from the bar on one particularly warm New Years Eve all the way from 10th Ave south to Mount Pleasant, as I was jogging across 16th Ave north a CPS member flashed me his lights and gave me a stern finger wagging for the jaywalking. I just shook my head after that one. Normally I'm very pro-police but I thought that a bit dumb at 1:45 am with sparse traffic. What kind of a lemming stands & waits for pedestrian lights at that hour?

I do like the OP's example, a fine example of behaviour from both parties.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:01 PM

Old 03-22-2017, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Good on the cop, but even better on you and your buddy for not driving! Way to go!!
yup
Old 03-22-2017, 05:47 PM

Good to hear!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:20 PM

Confession time. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I was voted least drunk, so I got to drive my bro and his buddy home after buddy's stag party. Thank god we ran out of gas about 5 blocks from our departure point. '72 Ford, 3 in the tree, put it in gear and turned the key. Humped along the boulevard in start mode till we found an unlikely place to jump the curb, pull over and park. While still sitting in the truck wondering what to do, the RC's pulled up. Great. Told them the whole story, buddy opened the passenger door to prove the ball and chain on his ankle. What happened next was unbelievable.

They called us a cab.

True story. We all deserved the tank that night, especially me. But they called us a cab (this was long, long before cell phones, so we couldn't call our own) and told us they never wanted to see any of us again.

Lesson learned. Pretty much a life changer. Total respect for the RCMP from that day forward. Biggest break ever.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:06 PM

I recall in my youth when we'd be out at parties or such and people were worried that someone was going to drive drunk; I'd have them get an excuse to get the car keys "to grab something they left in the car' and I'd pop the hood and pull the ignition coil wire. Hard for them to drive drunk when it won't start
Old 03-22-2017, 08:56 PM

Default Martindale Officer

I saw an officer stop her car and offer to help an elderly gentleman crossing the road and provide a ride home. He lived close and let her know he was fine, but I was so impressed to see an officer offer the help.

This was in NE calgary, right by Castleridge / Martindale. Didn't catch a unit number, but put a smile on my face to see people care.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:56 PM

Good old "Buffalo Cabs" are back in Business !
Old 03-23-2017, 01:07 PM

So yesterday was a very quiet and hungover day, however today I went and bought two twenty dollar gift cards from Timmys and went to the local detachment and met with the CO to tell him that the actions of one of his staff was greatly appreciated and showed a real sense of community and after a couple of donut and bribery jokes gave him the envelope with the gift cards to pass on to the members.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertScorpio View Post

Intoxicated in a public place is an arrestable provincial offence. If positive identification can not be made then the officer has ground for arrest under PRICE. PRICE stands for Public Safety, Re-occurrence, Identity, Court, and Evidence. If any of the 5 areas is in jeopardy or not satisfied then an officer can arrest. This is basically the first then taught at any police academy. So if the OP did not provide his identification the officer could arrest to establish identity.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
So yesterday was a very quiet and hungover day, however today I went and bought two twenty dollar gift cards from Timmys and went to the local detachment and met with the CO to tell him that the actions of one of his staff was greatly appreciated and showed a real sense of community and after a couple of donut and bribery jokes gave him the envelope with the gift cards to pass on to the members.
And that right their is even nicer than what the officer did.
Trust me I'm sure they appreciated it, when your used to being crapped on by everyone that's worth it's weight in gold.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Intoxicated in a public place is an arrestable provincial offence. If positive identification can not be made then the officer has ground for arrest under PRICE. PRICE stands for Public Safety, Re-occurrence, Identity, Court, and Evidence. If any of the 5 areas is in jeopardy or not satisfied then an officer can arrest. This is basically the first then taught at any police academy. So if the OP did not provide his identification the officer could arrest to establish identity.
Only because OP was drunk in public - otherwise the stop and check would not be 'reasonable'.

Unless like most Canadian they simply consented to an illegal search; consent would make it legal.