Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-13-2017, 10:11 PM
Banned

Default good ice rod for the money

https://www.amazon.ca/Cold-Steel-30M.../dp/B00P9LDM8W
Old 03-16-2017, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the tip, I'm ordering a couple to add to my arsenal!
Old 03-16-2017, 07:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker2 View Post
Thanks for the tip, I'm ordering a couple to add to my arsenal!
no problem,they are medium/heavy and exc for pike/walleye
Old 03-16-2017, 08:21 PM

Not what I consider a good ice rod but I guess for the super cheap it will work and better then the crappy ht ones.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:03 AM

Is there anyone else that does not like the line twist with these type of spinning reels, or is just me. It drives me crazy. These combos would work for my Dad as he likes to set my tip ups close to the truck and place my good rods and reels on the ice at the farthest hole and come back to the truck. I would not be as upset to sacrifice one of these units due to an unexpected bite.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGFISH View Post
Is there anyone else that does not like the line twist with these type of spinning reels, or is just me. It drives me crazy. These combos would work for my Dad as he likes to set my tip ups close to the truck and place my good rods and reels on the ice at the farthest hole and come back to the truck. I would not be as upset to sacrifice one of these units due to an unexpected bite.
Line twist is cause from 1 of 2 things.

1) Using a lure that creates twist and not using a swivel.

2) Reeling while line is pulling drag. If you hear your drag when reeling, stop. Either set drag higher or play the fish more.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:24 PM

I understand how drag causes it, I still prefer a level wind not a spinning reel for ice fishing.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:11 PM

Nice rods for pike or walleye. I ordered them on Thursday and got them today, well packaged by courier service! Great buy.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker2 View Post
Nice rods for pike or walleye. I ordered them on Thursday and got them today, well packaged by courier service! Great buy.

I agree they are good rods and cheap but there's always someone who has to shoot down someones post.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHBATTEREDBEER View Post
I agree they are good rods and cheap but there's always someone who has to shoot down someones post.
Sorry I hurt your feelings...

I just don't get why so many people settle with such inferior ice fishing combos. No reel seat so you have to tape the reel on or deal with it falling off when fighting a fish and subpar reels that will eventually pile up on you or have the drag fail. This is the cheapest combo I would recommend, yes it costs more but the value is definitely there imo.

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.c...OMBO/&se=29319

If you want something actually good then you need to step up to something like a Fenwick Aetos or Elite Tech, St. Croix, Daiwa Triforce or Automatic Fisherman rod paired with a good reel like a Pflueger President, Shimano Sahara or better. Yes a combo like this costs a fair bit more but the rod and reel will last you a long time and you can use the reel in the summer too which negates a lot of the cost difference.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:55 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=RavYak;3498996]Sorry I hurt your feelings...

I just don't get why so many people settle with such inferior ice fishing combos. No reel seat so you have to tape the reel on or deal with it falling off when fighting a fish and subpar reels that will eventually pile up on you or have the drag fail. This is the cheapest combo I would recommend, yes it costs more but the value is definitely there imo.

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.c...OMBO/&se=29319

If you want something actually good then you need to step up to something like a Fenwick Aetos or Elite Tech, St. Croix, Daiwa Triforce or Automatic Fisherman rod paired with a good reel like a Pflueger President, Shimano Sahara or better. Yes a combo like this costs a fair bit more but the rod and reel will last you a long time and you can use the reel in the summer too which negates a lot of the cost difference.[/QUOTE

So far so good,30+ walleye and a 24-26lb jack on this combo and they work exc. I use to buy the $200 reels and fancy rods but have since learned the cheapies are sometimes just as good.I have 6 rods in my boat,$25 a piece 5 yrs ago and still good.I have reeled in many many giant pike and walleye on these cheap rods.I would never cheap out on line but have had great success on cheap rod/reel combos. Hopefully a few members will buy these and post their thoughts,they have a great rating on amazon and are the top sellers.