Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2014, 03:19 AM

Default Trafficmaster Allure for trailers

I am looking at replacing the carpeting in my 5th wheel this spring. This product keeps coming up in discussions about flooring. My question is whether or not it will hold up in Alberta winters. It is vinyl flooring which sticks together. It is a floating floor and does not get fasten down just like laminate flooring. Anyone ever use it in their trailers? Apparently Home Depot sells it. BEL
Old 03-23-2014, 07:28 AM

The problem with this type of flooring in cold weather is that it'll shrink and the seems will open up. a little and some might lift. I've seen this many times when the contractor fails to maintain the proper temps in the building during construction. The adhesive can sometime fail due to extremes in temperature and humidity found in campers. Heat isn't so bad as these are usualy designed for in-floor hydronic heating. Allure also won't warranty the product installed in an RV.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:38 AM

I installed cheap laminate in our fifth wheel, it worked great and looked great. and never had any issues.
Old 03-23-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEL View Post
I am looking at replacing the carpeting in my 5th wheel this spring. This product keeps coming up in discussions about flooring. My question is whether or not it will hold up in Alberta winters. It is vinyl flooring which sticks together. It is a floating floor and does not get fasten down just like laminate flooring. Anyone ever use it in their trailers? Apparently Home Depot sells it. BEL
I installed it in my trailer about 5 years ago. Worked out really good and looked great. Sold the trailer last year and looked as good as when I installed it.

Neil.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:08 PM

Neil, did you store the trailer outside, in a heated facility, or covered over? BEL
Old 03-23-2014, 01:48 PM

I put Allure in two trailers one was about 6 years ago no issues except the caulking I used around the edges kept coming off.

Very easy to install cuts with a razor knife.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:54 PM

what about laminate or glue down vinyl planking?
Old 03-23-2014, 02:37 PM

re flooring in your RV , we have a family cabin in the Sundre area , and have been looking at redoing the flooring , ( currently carpet and lino ) , but as always , costs play a part . Thoughts of new flooring are headed towards laminate flooring , but the cabin gets shut down in October and reopens in May , hence it freezes solid in the winter .
There seems to be a lot of different opinions about what can and can't take the freeze-thaw cycles . Vinyl ( floating floor ) seems to be the one that is least likely to work. Now others here before me say that its been just fine for them , so who really knows for sure. It seems that a glue down product would be fine ( lino in our kitchen/bath/entrance has been fine for thirty years.
Re laminate ( MDF core ) , I'm told ,by some , would absorb the moisture during the thaw and would swell , therefore doing damage , others figure that it shouldn't be a problem.
I do full Home Reno's for work , and as such have spoken to number companies that do these products and the general feeling is that most of these products " probably " would work , nobody will guarantee their product in this application . ( in the $ 3.00 a sq ft or less mark )
We could maybe go back to carpet , but it has added expense ( having to have an installer do it , vs laminate , I can do it no problem or we could even have several of the family members on it . So still at the drawing board .
So back to Your RV , I would think that you would be best to use a glue-down floor. This is assuming that your RV is outside during winter.
That's my 5 cents good luck with what ever way you go.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEL View Post
Neil, did you store the trailer outside, in a heated facility, or covered over? BEL
Stored outside not covered. I used quarter round on the edges vs caulking due to extreme temp variations. 30 degees in summer to -30 in winter. Being a vinyl floor it has to move with temp variations.

Neil.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:10 PM

RBI; one thing i did in a porch i built a while back. i bought 3/4 maple plywood and glued and screwed down. i took care and predrilled the plywood so the screws were all in the same place. after i installed, i then just bought a satin polyurethane and put down two coats. it looked awesome and held up very well. just an idea. i figured cost was less than two buck a square foot.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:22 AM

Reviving an old thread for some advice as my trailer's lino split this winter. How is the allure holding up? Are you guys using the stick together or click together product? Any better products out there which are recommended?
Old 05-21-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
I installed cheap laminate in our fifth wheel, it worked great and looked great. and never had any issues.
i bought " surplus" or" obsolete" laminate , cheap and looks great . for an rv you dont need a lot of square feet .
Old 05-21-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
i bought " surplus" or" obsolete" laminate , cheap and looks great . for an rv you dont need a lot of square feet .
My only concern about laminate is that it isn't waterproof.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:10 PM

thats true . if you get the floor soaked under the laminate it will take a very long time to dry and could promote rot and mildew .
Old 05-21-2019, 12:59 PM

Whats the best floor item, I have a camper where the original floor cover has cracked up in 2 areas so looking for a better flooring now, maybe 20 square foot area.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:04 PM

I do not have the vinyl plank installed in my camper yet. But I do have a box and few loose ends sitting in my unheated shed for the past 3 years or more. None of it has broken apart or lifted.
I highly recommend it myself.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:39 PM

Looks like the allure ultra may be the best way to go. It is click rather than a glued strip. Hopefully it is available up here. Anyone try that product?