Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2019, 08:14 PM

If cops or game warden ask why you have a gun or rifle in any situation other then hunting . just say for protection from possible predators . Is that not the truth. . It's perfectly legal .
Old 05-21-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travco1 View Post
If cops or game warden ask why you have a gun or rifle in any situation other then hunting . just say for protection from possible predators . Is that not the truth. . It's perfectly legal .
Not trying to argue, please don't take it that way, but telling a LEO you have a firearm in your possession for the purpose of protection opens a real bad discussion. Civilians can not own a firearm for protection. As ancillary when hunting only or as permitted in back country (prospecting, etc).

I am going into Alaska hopefully, would not even think of having it with me then.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-21-2019, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Not trying to argue, please don't take it that way, but telling a LEO you have a firearm in your possession for the purpose of protection opens a real bad discussion. Civilians can not own a firearm for protection. As ancillary when hunting only or as permitted in back country (prospecting, etc).

I am going into Alaska hopefully, would not even think of having it with me then.
I think he meant protection from predators.(bears cougars) lots of people pack guns in the bush or truck outside hunting season for that reason. Unless bc is different?
Old 05-21-2019, 09:35 PM

Don’t matter if you’re purpose is bear protection, part of your survival kit if stranded or you might feel like target shooting you are legal.

Having a firearm in a boat or in a truck makes no difference
Old 05-21-2019, 09:40 PM
Banned

No excuse needed people. Quit being scared of your shadows.

Eventually, you have to stand up for yourself. If you want a gun, take it. If you don't, don't.

Good idea on not taking it to Alaska Ken. You would have a tough time with that one. They do require a reason to take it across the border.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Good Lord NO! Please spend some time figuring out our laws. If you don't know your "Rights" they will soon be taken away from you.
Sorry that I don't have an understanding of Maritime law.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
No excuse needed people. Quit being scared of your shadows.
This ^^

A lot of overthinking in this thread. Having a firearm on a boat is common
Old 05-23-2019, 08:05 AM

I knew a guy that was fishing for Salmon by Rupert. Seals where stealing his caught salmon. He grabbed the shot gun carried on boat and blasted the seals. Problem gone, just like coyotes on the farm he said!
Old 05-26-2019, 03:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
The short answer is no.

From what I could skim through in the Firearms Act, Transport Canada, the criminal code, marine acts, etc.

The same laws apply on water as on land.

If you can’t have it in your car, you can’t have it on your boat.

I don’t have a specific link Ken to say nay, but I’m confident that is the answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
You can have it in your car.
Quote:
Only to and from right?

You can’t carry a gun just because.
Quote:
Yes you can.
Quote:
Must be out of sight. Under seat or blanket, doors locked
Quote:
Well either way, what happens on land or territory extends to coastal waters.
Quote:
Sorry that I don't have an understanding of Maritime law.

Etown. I was speaking of all laws. You not knowing you can have a gun in your truck for what ever reason you wish is a major mistake. Thats part the basic stuff we need to all know. It's our responsibility to know the basic stuff. Some good learning here for everyone. I can go grab my shot gun, sling it over my shoulder, walk to my car, put it beside me, drive to the local Tims, grab a coffee through the drive through and come home. Not a legal issue in the world. Part of us Hidding our guns and being scared of what people think is the problem. We must normalize these tools not hide them away and never speak of them. We as a group keep treating guns like a dirty little secret and they will all soon be banned.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Etown. I was speaking of all laws. You not knowing you can have a gun in your truck for what ever reason you wish is a major mistake. Thats part the basic stuff we need to all know. It's our responsibility to know the basic stuff. Some good learning here for everyone. I can go grab my shot gun, sling it over my shoulder, walk to my car, put it beside me, drive to the local Tims, grab a coffee through the drive through and come home. Not a legal issue in the world. Part of us Hidding our guns and being scared of what people think is the problem. We must normalize these tools not hide them away and never speak of them. We as a group keep treating guns like a dirty little secret and they will all soon be banned.
I think we should all start putting gun racks back on the back window and using them again. (Of course take them down when not in the truck). I think it would help normalize as you say the general populace again. Only downside to it that I see is making your truck more of a target for thieves.
I miss all the 70’s and 80’s chevys with racks in the window... just looked plain good.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:54 PM

Around ten years ago I was going into town to wash my truck so I put o e of my rifles on the passenger side just incase I got up to something as I usually do. Being a small town boy my gun went were ever I did. As I was rolling up to the car wash a police officer pulled in behind me for some reason I never did get an explanation for and walked up to my window. After a short conversation they called for backup and proceeded to put me in the back seat and DROP my gun in their trunk. I was released without my gun after answer and question time ended at the police station with me telling them I’ve done nothing illegal and they should get informed on the laws surrounding guns. A week later I was telling my story to a fish and wildlife officer he told me they couldn’t legally seize my rifle he took my number and told me to go back tomorrow and pick it up. When I went in the Staff Sargent handed it over apologizing to me I wasn’t a happy camper and told him in a not very politically correct way his officers should brush up on gun laws. To this day I still pack one whenever I’m home.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
I think we should all start putting gun racks back on the back window and using them again. (Of course take them down when not in the truck). I think it would help normalize as you say the general populace again. Only downside to it that I see is making your truck more of a target for thieves.
I miss all the 70’s and 80’s chevys with racks in the window... just looked plain good.
This kind of common sense and clear rational thought has no place on the internet. Knock it off.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:48 PM

Question

Quote:
If you ever get rear ended and catch a rifle in the back of the head from those rear window gun racks you’ll figure out pretty quickly why other than thieves no one uses them any more, seat back rifle hangers are pretty sweet tho you can get some nice ones where the rifles won’t rattle out on the washboard.

Last edited by Dubious; 05-26-2019 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
If you ever get rear ended and catch a rifle in the back of the head from those gun racks you’ll figure out pretty quickly why other than thieves no one uses them any more
Was that happening a lot in the 80’s? (Momentum says opposite btw)
Old 05-26-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Was that happening a lot in the 80’s? (Momentum says opposite btw)
Guess whiplash must be a new idea... way more than rear momentum going on there.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Guess whiplash must be a new idea... way more than rear momentum going on there.
So that is what was happening? Honest question. I don’t have the facts.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
So that is what was happening? Honest question. I don’t have the facts.
That newton guy and his third law always get me. I dunno moose I wish non gun people would be less scared my dad used to talk about taking the city bus to the edge of town to go hunting rifles slung on there packs with his friends in the 70’s in salmon arm. These days swat would be waiting for you at the next stop. What a crazy time to be alive.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:54 PM

[QUOTE=Big Grey Wolf;3979774]I knew a guy that was fishing for Salmon by Rupert. Seals where stealing his caught salmon. He grabbed the shot gun carried on boat and blasted the seals. Problem gone, just like coy

We carried a rifle of some sort on board all the time when commercial trolling, back in the early 70's . The Seals new it and managed to not surface anywhere near the boat. They would hang back about 100 yds until a bell triggered and then dove to try and pick up a fish before we could gaff it. Lots of action but actually shooting one was near impossible, even in a small swell. Smart suckers,they are.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
Around ten years ago I was going into town to wash my truck so I put o e of my rifles on the passenger side just incase I got up to something as I usually do. Being a small town boy my gun went were ever I did. As I was rolling up to the car wash a police officer pulled in behind me for some reason I never did get an explanation for and walked up to my window. After a short conversation they called for backup and proceeded to put me in the back seat and DROP my gun in their trunk. I was released without my gun after answer and question time ended at the police station with me telling them I’ve done nothing illegal and they should get informed on the laws surrounding guns. A week later I was telling my story to a fish and wildlife officer he told me they couldn’t legally seize my rifle he took my number and told me to go back tomorrow and pick it up. When I went in the Staff Sargent handed it over apologizing to me I wasn’t a happy camper and told him in a not very politically correct way his officers should brush up on gun laws. To this day I still pack one whenever I’m home.
Good on you. Because of people being afraid of exercising the rights and responsibilities concerning gun ownership and usage, people like your self now have to take on for the team. Thanks for doing that. Being afraid of being "Hassled" or being afraid of defending our responsibilities is not a excuse and in fact is way of making sure our present freedoms are infringed upon even more.