Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
You got your health and your family and that's all that you need in life,the rest is just things that happen.Kiss your family goodnight and be happy you seen it before something bad could have happened .Your the lucky guy today the way I look at it, so do the same.

Take Care
JD
Hugs and kisses don’t move the trailer down the highway. Maybe the safety fairy will fix it over night for him?
Old 05-20-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post
I can't get the picture to open?

Changing wheel bearings even just in a parking lot or side of the road is really not a bad job. I'd like to see the damage.
I sent you a PM with the link - hopefully that works.

I'm now looking at just getting an AMA RV membership and having it towed somewhere near or in Edmonton for repair.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Find someone to fix it and no half jobbies with straps,you kill yourself you leave your family behind or kill others your in big trouble because lotsa people now know your rig is not road worthy.Don't listen to a lot off this crap being told to you by these donkeys.
How do you know the other wheels are safe,a good guy that knows what he is doing may save you a life time of trouble,don't make things worst than they are,it's just a darn trailer.Relax get some rest and life goes on,but don't ever make thinks worst over a desperate move,desperate moves have put a lot of folks in jail .This is just a small thing in life so don't sweat it and in the end it will all work out.

Take Care
JD
I don't think anyone is telling him to drive 140kph down the highway after going back to pick up his family again, we are saying that you can safely limp a trailer back on 3 wheels (or 2) if you properly tie it up. Limping a trailer back means a few miles with 4 ways on hugging the shoulder at a safe speed.
Funny, never been called a donkey before

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-20-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Hugs and kisses don’t move the trailer down the highway. Maybe the safety fairy will fix it over night for him?
You don't haul things down the highway on a busy weekend that aren't road worthy if your brain is in gear or any other time,.He doesn't know what or how to change the bearing or if the others are in good shape so don't open up and put someone in harms way.If your feelings are hurt go kiss your arrs goodnight.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I don't think anyone is telling him to drive 140kph down the highway after going back to pick up his family again, we are saying that you can safely limp a trailer back on 3 wheels (or 2) if you properly tie it up. Limping a trailer back means a few miles with 4 ways on hugging the shoulder at a safe speed.
Funny, never been called a donkey before

I thought anyone who drove with their 4 ways on should be pistol whipped. I read it in this very forum from a number of driving experts not long ago.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I thought anyone who drove with their 4 ways on should be pistol whipped. I read it in this very forum from a number of driving experts not long ago.
Is that why some one this forum think they should be banned? That does sound quite dangerous. Would revolvers be banned as well?
Old 05-21-2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Is that why some one this forum think they should be banned? That does sound quite dangerous. Would revolvers be banned as well?

Only if you're seen brandishing it in a threatening manner WHILE you're driving with your 4 ways on.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditch donkey View Post
If you get a flat tire, do you just sit there, in fear of the other 3 going flat also?

From his post it sounded like he was with his trailer in Wasketenau, obviously there are better options than a ratchet strap, I thought that might be be something he would have with him.

I don’t think anyone will be killed, or injured pulling a 3 wheeled trailer at 50lm an hour for 30 km, but I guess the risk is there.

I’m certain your advice of, “find someone to fix it” will be of great help. You should have chimed in sooner.
I just read the thread and the guys family is already safe,the rv is at a gas station and he is not stranded .Heading out of that a gas station and some thing goes sideways then he maybe in trouble which he can avoid buy getting it fixed.He may have to make some turns or stop suddenly and only have half his brakes or none depending on the setup or size .

Regardless if your not in big trouble then don't go looking for it.If you know the condition of the other 3 wheels then your the expert,but you don't and he doesn't then you get someone to look at it.All wheels should be greased well in the fall or all 4 yanked off in the spring or yanked off every 12 months and checked.
Very easy to blow that back seal if you pump to much into the ez lube ,so if one is wrong I would want to know about the other 3 if they are road worthy.If one wheel is bad chances are maybe another is bad or all 3 maybe fine,but that's where you enter an unsafe area.

There is no fire here so why limp anywhere specially into a busy city or heavy traffic where you never no what's going to come up.

AS far as changing my flat tire I won't even waste my time with you.I guess you know the structure of that trailer,have you seen how weak some are made,so another area that maybe unsafe.

He did say semi stranded,so this is not a high priority jackpot he is in,so just think about it .Being stranded and not being stranded are two different deals.

If a person says he doesn't know what to do then find someone that does and this is what he has done.

Last edited by JD848; 05-21-2019 at 01:55 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:47 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Sounds like OP is not that mechanically inclined, maybe is, I would leave it, get professional help, tow, repair etc but not take a broken vehicle down a busy highway at 60km just to increase the pizz off factor and possibly have more go wrong with this trailer.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-21-2019, 07:50 AM
Banned

Default So called bearing buddies

You might want to consider replacing those dust caps. Unless you are pumping high speed bearing grease into the front of the outside bearings you are neglecting the damage created by heat induced liquefaction and there is still plenty of risk to the inner bearings.

I have such caps on my boat trailer but I have always pulled them to manually remove, inspect and re-grease the spindles and bearings. There are no such "labour saving" devices on my travel trailer but those too get serviced annually.

Free
Old 05-21-2019, 09:01 AM

I appreciate everyone's advice. That's why I love this forum - tons of experience, advice, and everyone willing to help out.

Altaland is sending a truck out today to haul it in and have a look.

Thanks all!
Old 05-21-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberboots View Post
I sent you a PM with the link - hopefully that works.

I'm now looking at just getting an AMA RV membership and having it towed somewhere near or in Edmonton for repair.
Generally AMA memberships will default to the most basic coverage for a short period of time to discourage this immediate purchase and benefit.

When my car died 2 years ago, I had to wait a week before I could have it towed to the shop of my choice after purchasing a plus membership
Old 05-21-2019, 09:44 AM

In the old days 25 years ago the tow truck drivers would sell you an AMA membership and use it right away. Times have changed
Old 05-21-2019, 09:52 AM

Have you asked the people that own the gas station if they know anyone local that could fix this for you?

Does your RV Dealer have a mobile service truck?

I'm sure there is a farm dealer in the area that would likely be able to change out a wheel bearing or a spindle if its that bad, even an axle swap if need be.

You are now parked in a safe place moving it without checking all your options wouldn't be a smart move.

BW
Old 05-21-2019, 02:40 PM

Just saw ur trailer being picked up
It’s 2:30

The fix will b cheap but the haul to their shop might not be

But what an u do....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2019, 09:10 PM

Default Ama

Just a heads up on the AMA RV Plus. If you have a dually and pull the box off and replace with a flat deck. You will have NO coverage. Read the fine print and ask questions.

I learned the hard way.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by operator john View Post
Just a heads up on the AMA RV Plus. If you have a dually and pull the box off and replace with a flat deck. You will have NO coverage. Read the fine print and ask questions.

I learned the hard way.
Well I'll be. What is their reasoning ?

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 05-23-2019, 05:00 PM

Default Stranded

Membership Terms and Conditions:

Roadside Assistance Conditions:
• Towing/Service is not available for;
Vehicles with more than four wheels and vehicles not factory-built for passenger, pleasure or recreational use including but not limited to: tractors, limousines, passenger buses, cube vans, semi-trucks, logging trucks, tow trucks, trailers with a commercial or non-recreational load, dump trucks, flat decks, taxis and military vehicles.