Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-10-2011, 09:26 AM
Banned

Default coyote caller

was thinking about doing some coyote hunting soon on some land that I know has coyotes, the problem is are I don't have a rifle (well a high powered rifle anyways), I have a 22 semi and a new 12 gauge pump 3 1/2, the good thing is it's close treed land so I should be able to get them with a 12 gauge with some buckshot, my question is would a caller like this http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?page...ction=&ID=3319
be good enough for what I need, if anybody has a similar caller do you have reviews, I don't want to spend a pile of $$$ just something that works.

btw I seen lots of tracks of both coyote and rabbit while I was out there last year rabbit hunting,did a few calls with my hand caller and had a coyote come up behind me, and I was out there last weekend and seen 2 coyotes in the process.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:35 AM
Gone Hunting

Don't bother with that call. A decent electronic caller will cost a couple hundred. Read Foxpro.
Pm me your mailing address and I'll send you a hand call to get you started.
Easy to call with, and deadly. So simple my grand daughter calls coyotes and she's 4 yrs old

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-10-2011, 09:37 AM

X2 to what Redfrog said....I use exclusivley hand calls and have really good success.....plus I find its more fun, more interactive, and more rewarding to use a hand call than pressing buttons on a key-pad......with practice and trial/error you will have more fun and become more engaged in the hunt IMHO.

LC
Old 09-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Gone Hunting

BTW i would stay away from the 22 and use the shottgun for inside 30 yards or the big bore will work well too. I hunted with a guy who used his 300 win mag. He shot at 100yds plus and had through and through and little fur damage.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Don't bother with that call. A decent electronic caller will cost a couple hundred. Read Foxpro.
Pm me your mailing address and I'll send you a hand call to get you started.
Easy to call with, and deadly. So simple my grand daughter calls coyotes and she's 4 yrs old

thanks for the offer redfrog I already have a few hand callers, was wondering about the e caller,from the reviews I have read about this unit it seems good but the volume is low and it's better suited for close treed area's, there are a few different of the "lower class" callers around made by different manufacturers that I have seen on the interweb.

another question is will bbb steel do in a 12 gauge with a mod choke or should I get a box of double or triple ought buck lead?
Old 09-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
BTW i would stay away from the 22 and use the shottgun for inside 30 yards or the big bore will work well too. I hunted with a guy who used his 300 win mag. He shot at 100yds plus and had through and through and little fur damage.
yeah I was thinking the 22 is useless it won't reach more than the 12 gauge fully choked anyways.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:46 AM

Ive tried a few different e-callers and few come close to the results you get with a foxpro. If money is an issue I would stick with hand calls. If you do decide to spend the cash on a foxpro you wont regret it.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogslayer403 View Post
Ive tried a few different e-callers and few come close to the results you get with a foxpro. If money is an issue I would stick with hand calls. If you do decide to spend the cash on a foxpro you wont regret it.
that may be an idea, maybe I will buy another hand caller and get some more practice with them, I am planning on getting a coyote rig later this year or maybe a christmas gift to myself, the problem is I just spent about $1200 on goose gear including a new 12 gauge,camo,blind and my wife would kill me if I bought a new rifle and expensive caller right now
Old 09-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Gone Hunting

#4 Buck or specialized loads like 'Dead coyote" work well.
I hunted with a friend who would kill about a dozen coyotes a year with bird shot. We were hunting ducks and the coyotes came around to see what was going on. The heavy shot works better.

I sold e callers for years. I've used or know someone who has used every caller on the market. I would not waste my money on anything less than a few hundred bucks and for me personally I would only buy Foxpro. Very good quality and amazing customer service.

I have little love for most commercial predator calls. They take a lung and a half just to get a sound out of them and then it's not much.

I think a call should be very easy to blow. Loud with little air through it. Easy to master. If it is not all of these things, it soon becomes another piece of junk rolling around in the truck.

So there is quite a difference between commercial calls. Most aren't worth the spit it takes to freeze them up.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:48 AM

Great advice redfrog! I've got some primos calls and I notice I need a good amount of air for howls. What are some hand calls a guy should look into?
Old 09-10-2011, 03:13 PM

get a fox pro
Old 09-10-2011, 03:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillTophunter View Post
Great advice redfrog! I've got some primos calls and I notice I need a good amount of air for howls. What are some hand calls a guy should look into?
Circe long range , medium range, mouse squeaker.

Circe calls have done me well for years.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Banned

alright I have bought another caller and got some double ought buck shot, the question now is which choke to use with them, it's winchester lead.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:51 PM

I have an e-caller, homemade, works good but nothing like my ruffidawg.jr. I dont think you can compare an e caller to a hand , hand callers once mastered will take it everytime.. besides its a feeling of gratification, you made the sound that brought the predator in..
Old 09-10-2011, 06:34 PM

Default Where to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Circe long range , medium range, mouse squeaker.

Circe calls have done me well for years.
Where might we find these calls in Alberta?
Thanx in advance
Ken
Old 09-10-2011, 06:56 PM

All you need is a Sceery AP-5 and a Johnny Stewart Howler coupled with a Randy Anderson KI-YI.....if that don't get em nothing will.....

LC