Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-06-2015, 09:04 AM
AO Sponsor

Default Youth Pending Harvest Report

I just did my daughter's draw for Suffield elk on Albertarelm. At the top of the screen it states "You have pending harvest report" and upon clicking on it it states that this is to be done by Jan 31, 2015.

Is this mandatory? If it is not mandatory, why is my youth hunter required to do this and I am not? No such demands were made of me.

Im all for cooperating with sound wildlife management, but I have ZERO confidence in Alberta Fish and Wildlife's attempts at wildlife management!!! I'm not kidding.

Respect is earned. It is easily lost but difficult to get back.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:18 AM

No its not mandatory
Old 01-06-2015, 09:29 AM

Your own log in should have a similar button up the top right (mine did.)
It's not compulsory but it helps them track what's going on.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:16 AM

I had the same request on the top of mine. Would seem to be normal.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:35 AM
AO Sponsor

I'm annoyed. No such thing is asked of me on my relm, but it's like they are preying on kids, making them think they have to do something, trying to dupe them into it instead of simply being upfront and asking for the info.

Scummy in my books
Old 01-07-2015, 07:52 AM

I dunno why you didn't get the harvest report on your Albertarelm. Everyone I now filled it out. Did you buy any tags this year?
Old 01-07-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
I'm annoyed. No such thing is asked of me on my relm, but it's like they are preying on kids, making them think they have to do something, trying to dupe them into it instead of simply being upfront and asking for the info.

Scummy in my books
I'm not seeing your issue, aside from your axe to grind with SRD. How do you arrive at them duping kids into providing harvest info?
Old 01-07-2015, 08:01 AM

It is probably a random survey, I do them all the time. Maybe they want to see how many youth are actually hunting?
Old 01-07-2015, 08:11 AM
Banned

Quote:

Scummy in my books

That's a bit dramatic! Fill it out and give them the info. You can only hope it will be used for a positive purpose.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinnordegg View Post
That's a bit dramatic! Fill it out and give them the info. You can only hope it will be used for a positive purpose.
Ditto.

Being melodramatic IMHO.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Im all for cooperating with sound wildlife management, but I have ZERO confidence in Alberta Fish and Wildlife's attempts at wildlife management!!! I'm not kidding.
Quote:
Scummy in my books
Wow... I really don't see the issue at all in the hunter surveys and for teaching the next generation to be active in wildlife management.

Since your an AO sponsor and like you said "respect is earned"...What business do you run?
Old 01-07-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:

Scummy in my books
It only seems like that to you, no one else. We are all adults and have told you we got the same survey message. Calm down and perhaps ask them why you DIDN'T get such a message.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I just did my daughter's draw for Suffield elk on Albertarelm. At the top of the screen it states "You have pending harvest report" and upon clicking on it it states that this is to be done by Jan 31, 2015.

Is this mandatory? If it is not mandatory, why is my youth hunter required to do this and I am not? No such demands were made of me.

Let's get this straight you want to put the you and family in for a limited entry hunt but you don't want to do a harvest questionar ? They need the data so they can figure out inventories and harvest trends. They SHOULD be mandatory. More give and take instead of take and take, IMO
Old 01-07-2015, 05:37 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
Let's get this straight you want to put the you and family in for a limited entry hunt but you don't want to do a harvest questionar ? They need the data so they can figure out inventories and harvest trends. They SHOULD be mandatory. More give and take instead of take and take, IMO
I get what hes saying and didn't do mine either. No one I know, did... The only thing Id say should be "mandatory" is management itself. If SRD cant look around and see how effective the AFGA membership can and has been with harvesting wildlife,,, they are ALONE in not understanding where we currently are. People that live and work on the land don't have a problem seeing these things WITHOUT the aid of a study or survey lol

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 01-07-2015, 05:43 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
Wow... I really don't see the issue at all in the hunter surveys and for teaching the next generation to be active in wildlife management.

Since your an AO sponsor and like you said "respect is earned"...What business do you run?
Shane, you work for SRD... You know full well that his kids will NEVER have a conservative minded say in what happens with these resources. It has NEVER happened in my near 40 years, and if my kids ever live to see an end to the beurocratic fraud in this prov I will roll over in my grave

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 01-07-2015, 06:09 PM

Not sure why everyone is so against the harvest reports. I know there are a lot of decisions made that folks disagree with, myself included at times, but why not at least give them this simple information. Right now they can olnly assume that every tag bought is a tag filled which is less than helpfull and we all know that to be untrue. Perhaps if they can at the very least look at tags purchased versus success rates, they can put the pieces together. In response to the OP, if you didn't receive that message and purchased tags this year, I would ask them why you didn't. I don't believe they are trying to prey on youth. Just my opinion.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Shane, you work for SRD... You know full well that his kids will NEVER have a conservative minded say in what happens with these resources. It has NEVER happened in my near 40 years, and if my kids ever live to see an end to the beurocratic fraud in this prov I will roll over in my grave
Wes I have never worked for SRD. But I do understand the importance of wildlife management and at least a hunter survey.

You can be a part of it or not be a part of it….or just whine and cry. I prefer to be part of it and show my kids we can be active in wildlife management.

S
Old 01-07-2015, 06:49 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
Wes I have never worked for SRD. But I do understand the importance of wildlife management and at least a hunter survey.

You can be a part of it or not be a part of it….or just whine and cry. I prefer to be part of it and show my kids we can be active in wildlife management.

S
Sorry man I thought u were, sorry... I get what your saying about being active, its just not realistic. For starters its a beurocratic mess and always has been driven by some volume of it. Im not into politics. It gets in the way of what needs to be done. Just me personally, well that and no matter who and how many,, ive never seen anyone make progress on any level. Our resources will all around reflect that...

Keep a strain on er
Old 01-07-2015, 07:58 PM

Yes, certainly report your archery mule deer kills so they can put your zone and neighboring zones on archery draw... Sure helps with the harvest management.. Go SRD! -- not!
Old 01-07-2015, 08:16 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson13 View Post
Yes, certainly report your archery mule deer kills so they can put your zone and neighboring zones on archery draw... Sure helps with the harvest management.. Go SRD! -- not!
lol ya really! when they want all muledeer eradicated like vermine, they do a survey, someone killed a deer with a bow so archers go on draw to limit further those that want challenge in their outdoor persuits lolol. These guys don't know whether they are coming or going

Keep a strain on er
Old 01-07-2015, 08:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
i get what hes saying and didn't do mine either. No one i know, did... The only thing id say should be "mandatory" is management itself. If srd cant look around and see how effective the afga membership can and has been with harvesting wildlife,,, they are alone in not understanding where we currently are. People that live and work on the land don't have a problem seeing these things without the aid of a study or survey lol
lol
Old 01-07-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson13 View Post
And the same guys will scream and cry that SRD didn't do their job when you can't find a mule deer in that zone. Do I agree with everything, no, but we need to be part of the solution. So we don't report our kills and then what? Like I stated earlier, we let them assume that every tag bought is filled? We know that isn't true but if no one is going to report harvest then that is what they will have to assume. It's just like CWD zones. I can assure you that they don't get all the heads from animals despite it being mandatory submission. Why? Is it too difficult? Perfect, we don't provide sufficient samples, they will draw their own conclusions or get their own samples.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:36 PM

My surveys are boring....I am a crappy hunter, never killed a thing since they started asking....

LC

Kidding of course....
Old 01-07-2015, 08:42 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with youth. My relm is asking me to do the same thing. Lol damn I wish I was still in my youth.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packhuntr View Post
I get what hes saying and didn't do mine either. No one I know, did... The only thing Id say should be "mandatory" is management itself. If SRD cant look around and see how effective the AFGA membership can and has been with harvesting wildlife,,, they are ALONE in not understanding where we currently are. People that live and work on the land don't have a problem seeing these things WITHOUT the aid of a study or survey lol
The harvest survey is one tool they use and it's a lot less money than an aerial count every year. It would be nice if they had a clear idea of what the populations are but the money isn't there for that every year. They have calculations for those that don't participate and then they have to make assumptions, and you know what they say about assume.....
I find a lot of people don't want to participate in the survey cause they don't want to leave a paper trail to where they are hunting and their success so they can preserve it for themselves. Understandable we all want to pause in a great moment in hopes of it repeating itself. I completely agree that the quality of hunting in Alberta is going down. I agree they should listen to the folks with their boots on the ground, but they really don't know the difference in effort a newbie weekend warrior puts in as opposed to yourself.
I have to ask , has hunting in Alberta been that poor for you packhunter ?
Old 01-08-2015, 08:51 AM

It seems the guy's who don't participate in the survey are the ones who seem to tag out every year and then complain about the management plan and the lack of animals and how many tags are given out. Go figure
Old 01-08-2015, 08:55 AM
AO Sponsor

I don't have a problem with them asking for a voluntary response in filling in a voluntary survey, but the way I read their "request" is that it is not under the guise of a "request" but more so it has the appearance of a demand. It doesn't say "You must fill in a harvest report" but the wording it uses is that the young hunter feels that it is mandatory, that they have to do it, OR ELSE!!!

A little courtesy would go a long ways.

My lack of confidence comes from watching govts actions from over two decades in the field. I'm really disgusted with how things are done. In fact I think many govt people are also quite disgusted with how things are done.

If you don't understand the problems, then ideally you don't just jump to conclusions and judge me based upon your ignorance.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
It seems the guy's who don't participate in the survey are the ones who seem to tag out every year and then complain about the management plan and the lack of animals and how many tags are given out. Go figure
Bingo.

It must be hard going through life when everyone's out to get you.

If more people would take the time to do the survey it would help SRD in getting a realistic estimate of the animals in each zone. They conduct the study to aide them in their conservation efforts, not so then can round up their hunting buddies and head out and get em'. The more means of gathering information they can use the better for everyone. Refusing to do the study because you think the way to conservation is by only listening to what you have to say about it is ridiculous.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:40 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
The harvest survey is one tool they use and it's a lot less money than an aerial count every year. It would be nice if they had a clear idea of what the populations are but the money isn't there for that every year. They have calculations for those that don't participate and then they have to make assumptions, and you know what they say about assume.....
I find a lot of people don't want to participate in the survey cause they don't want to leave a paper trail to where they are hunting and their success so they can preserve it for themselves. Understandable we all want to pause in a great moment in hopes of it repeating itself. I completely agree that the quality of hunting in Alberta is going down. I agree they should listen to the folks with their boots on the ground, but they really don't know the difference in effort a newbie weekend warrior puts in as opposed to yourself.
I have to ask , has hunting in Alberta been that poor for you packhunter ?
Not completing their survey has nothing to do with hunting location secrecy man.
A lack of funds is an argument that's getting old. We know this is not the case.
Lastly, yes the hunting has been terrible. Don't let afew field photos cloud your judgment. Finding big stuff doesn't happen thanks to SRD as theyd have us believe, it happens despite them... Finding ONE MATURE muledeer that miraculously survived this slaughter is really nothing that 2 grand in fuel wont cure in a 2 month stretch... Don't ask SRD about mature though,,, they will tell you that a yearling to 2 year old with antlers to their ears , is MATURE. Additionally, they somehow will tell us that they consistently are seeing deer that honestly simply are not there. These guys should audition for a ghost hunter television program. Its terrible. These guys are going way too far, on all levels, not just muledeer. The whole thing is a wreck and its getting worse.

Keep a strain on er
Old 01-08-2015, 09:45 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Bingo.

It must be hard going through life when everyone's out to get you.

If more people would take the time to do the survey it would help SRD in getting a realistic estimate of the animals in each zone. They conduct the study to aide them in their conservation efforts, not so then can round up their hunting buddies and head out and get em'. The more means of gathering information they can use the better for everyone. Refusing to do the study because you think the way to conservation is by only listening to what you have to say about it is ridiculous.
Please stop with your attacks on me. You've been after me for some time attempting to illicit a response that will get me into trouble. It is getting old.

Keep a strain on er