Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-17-2019, 07:20 AM

Thumbs up Hunting spots

I am new to hunting and want to teach my boys. I am not asking for anybody's good spots, just how to go about choosing a good spot. How to identify public access lands and what traits make a good spot. Any information would be helpful. Thanks
Old 08-17-2019, 07:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Figure out an area you want to hunt, what zone and what county/MD it is in....get a landowner map, indicates crown land too...then load up and go do a recce of the area, get in tune with the area and the game available, once the season starts buy the tags and enjoy the outdoors....remember succes is not on taking game it's the complete experience.
That is how we do it and keep on finding new areas etc and even in some areas we already thought we new we learn something new....enjoy.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-17-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers8420 View Post
I am new to hunting and want to teach my boys. I am not asking for anybody's good spots, just how to go about choosing a good spot. How to identify public access lands and what traits make a good spot. Any information would be helpful. Thanks
First post, no location.

This is going to be a tough one.

I’m sure you’d prefer to meet up, visit, chat and or interact wit some like minded folks before, asking them for the perverbial keys to the front door.

Most outdoors people enjoy bringing youth into the fold, and lets face it that’s our life blood, but sometimes how we ask something is far more important than the answers we receive.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-17-2019, 07:50 AM

A landowners map, will show you who owns which land, and from that point on, you need to get out and scout.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:55 AM
Banned

Well, there's an app called iHunter. That's a good start.

After figuring out which WMU you want to hunt in. I recommend using google earth to find cut lines to walk around in, after finding where crown land is on your selected WMU. Highly recommended you print out your maps.

From there, start walking and look for signs.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:55 AM

Landowner maps from each county identify crownland, lease land and landowner info. Or Download “ iHunter” and buy the maps off there. Telling you what makes good land to hunt depends on what your hunting. Different species can be found in different areas at different times of the year. Calling helps to bring them to you during and just before the rut. Hunting has become a year round endeavour for me. Scouting is best done just after the season finishes in the snow, in my opinion, but can still be done now if your observant. Nothing beats boots on the ground, reading tracks, finding rut holes/ scrapes, setting a cam here or there to confirm. My advice, when you do find a spot don’t visit it too frequently. You will cause animals to move somewhere else if you are there too often. Switch it up if you can. Good luck
Old 08-17-2019, 08:22 AM

I Hunter app most useful tool out there

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2019, 10:21 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice guys. I have been reading regulations like crazy, and that's why i want to use public access land. I don't know any landowners and don't want to go down that road. Just going for deer this year. I like the robb area wmus 342 340 437 and 438. I will take a look at the reports for that area and get county maps.

When I am out looking for a good spot, what signs am I looking for and hints on where to put a tree stand. My 5 year old boys will be out scouting with me but too young to hunt. I will be spending alot of time outdoors and want to have a purpose and reason to be outdoors with my boys and fill the freezer. Not looking for a trophy buck or anything.

Thank again for the friendly help and advice
Old 08-17-2019, 10:46 AM

The problem with public land is that it's open to everyone which means you can scout your heart out only to find out that other people are there when you show up to hunt. Something I do is I try very hard to get away where other hunters might not be or at least less of. For me it took years of trial and error and I still run into this. If you want to secure good spots there is nothing better than asking landowners for permission. Some of them will even give you tips on activity. It's not easy because lots will say no. The one that says yes could be a real gem. My 2 cents.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:46 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys. I have been reading regulations like crazy, and that's why i want to use public access land. I don't know any landowners and don't want to go down that road. Just going for deer this year. I like the robb area wmus 342 340 437 and 438. I will take a look at the reports for that area and get county maps.

When I am out looking for a good spot, what signs am I looking for and hints on where to put a tree stand. My 5 year old boys will be out scouting with me but too young to hunt. I will be spending alot of time outdoors and want to have a purpose and reason to be outdoors with my boys and fill the freezer. Not looking for a trophy buck or anything.

Thank again for the friendly help and advice

Not sure the terrain etc your about to tackle but if it's forest to farm land get a high point and glass first light for a bit and a hour or so before last light....poke around and check for old rubs too....if your after deer early set up on feed, water, transition zones but don't dance in thier bedrooms....later in the season as the rut starts....rattle, grunt, doe bleats etc...patience is hard for first time hunters but is critical....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-17-2019, 12:30 PM

Robb has a ton of logging and roads. Get out and go for some drives, see game, investigate the area closer on foot/atv. When you find the signs, your on the right track.

Once the bullets start to fly, the game will go deeper and more silent but should still be in the areas you seen sign when scouting.

Good luck
Old 08-17-2019, 03:36 PM

Take a camera use it as an excuse to get the younger ones involved. Look for sign, find high spots learn to use Binoculars. LOOK then look some more, check out every deer looking rock, tree, bush..train your eyes to notice things that just seem a little out of place. Then when you spot a deer sneak in with the camera get a couple good shots....Slap yourself and your kids on the back, smile, laugh and have a good sleep.

Finding the land to hunt on is only part of the adventure.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Wherever a ridge and an edge meet, or exist in close proximity, one will very often find good populations of game. Its not an "x marks the spot" type deal, you need to explore a few square kilometers, look at the sign, and figure things out from there. But this will give you a starting point with a high degree of probability that you will find a good chunk of bush to hunt.

Using this method, exploring the game trails, and figuring out how the animals are behaving when they are not out in the open (so pretty much the majority of their lives during shooting light), I have never really had to share real estate with other hunters, or worry about their efforts interfering with mine.

Its not the popular way to do things these days, but If you don't mind taking the time to learn it is definitely rewarding.

Last edited by Bushleague; 08-17-2019 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:25 PM

Lots of good advice here if I was taking little kids in the bush with me scouting and hunting I would definitely also carry a pepper spray and know how to use it lots of bears in that area are there used to be

Old 08-17-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Lots of good advice here if I was taking little kids in the bush with me scouting and hunting I would definitely also carry a pepper spray and know how to use it lots of bears in that area are there used to be

Still lots of bears around Robb!
Old 08-17-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:

Where about's do you live?
Old 08-17-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Still lots of bears around Robb!
X2
Old 08-17-2019, 09:32 PM

I'm from Edmonton but I want to get away from all the Edmonton/Calgary croud
Old 08-18-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
X2
X3 lots of grizz that way... one of the big reasons I quit hunting there
Old 08-18-2019, 08:20 PM

Default RE: Hunting Spots

Couple thoughts, from my perspective as a mom and avid hunter anyway, as already noted:

1. I-Hunter is a must (in my opinion)....determine where your crown land boundaries are and it will also show the regs for that wmu, then you can be confident in knowing the regs for where you would like to investigate.
2. Look at google earth in a wmu with the crown land you would like to investigate. We took our kids out with us when they were young (one is now an independent hunter...lol) so we looked for areas that two cut lines intersected, not too far from lease roads so they were walkable with young kids. We did lots of driving/scouting in mornings and evenings to get to know the area, and see what game was around (we were also looking for whitetail at the time). Talk to operators too...they are awesome. Then we would park our truck (a 4x4 will likely be a must this year with how wet it continues to be) and walk in to where the cut lines intersected and "set up". We have used pop up blinds, but don't ever leave them because they will "disappear"....often we would just take in little tripod stools to sit just off the side of the cut line. (adjusted which side etc based on wind) Sometimes we saw critters, sometimes we didn't, but it was a great exercise in excitement of being out there, patience and learning for the kids and us. We have also set up and sat looking over cut blocks....but again, not too far from the truck so other hunters would at least look for your orange...hopefully We have hunted NW of Whitecourt, North and south of Edson and a few other places where there is crown land.
3. As others have said....bring bear spray and remain aware of your surroundings....my husband and daughter were stalked by a cougar to within 20 yards (until they turned and saw the young cougar because everything seemed a little "too quiet") last year....lots of bear sign...we have been fortunate not to have any bear encounters, but there are a lot of them out there....we have not done hunting as I described above by Robb specifically because of the high risk of encountering grizzlies.

Anyway....it would be worthwhile talking to some land owners...they are most often great to talk to, and even if they don't provide access it's great to get to know them.

Good on you for giving this experience to your kids...nothing better...in my opinion. All the best.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:01 PM

Things they don’t teach in hunter Ed. When you find an area you like to hunt once you have found your spot. Keep conservation in mind try to hunt and harvest to better the animal population and your hunting spot. Don’t kill everything! be selective only shoot what you need don’t shoot a bunch of deer to give away or not use. Kill predators if it’s allowed. It’s hard work finding the “spot “ but it’s very easy to ruin it. when you don’t think how the things we do as hunters effect areas we hunt.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
Things they don’t teach in hunter Ed. When you find an area you like to hunt once you have found your spot. Keep conservation in mind try to hunt and harvest to better the animal population and your hunting spot. Don’t kill everything! be selective only shoot what you need don’t shoot a bunch of deer to give away or not use. Kill predators if it’s allowed. It’s hard work finding the “spot “ but it’s very easy to ruin it. when you don’t think how the things we do as hunters effect areas we hunt.
Thanks for bringing this up. Respect for nature, landowners, other recreationists/hunters and respect for the animal is my #1 priority. I'm not after that "trophy buck". I just would like to harvest 1 animal and fill the freezer.

This is a great community and I do appreciate all the friendly help and advice