Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-20-2019, 06:27 AM

Default Talbot Lake baby!

Made the day trip to Talbot Lake yesterday. Started off with a bit of chop. Nothing bad. Fishing was hot!
Wind kicked up by mid morning and fishing then became not so hot. But, I did explore around and found calm waters. Had a great day. Anytime the wind let up a bit, I seemed to catch something. The pike were also on the prowl throughout the lake and would take...pretty much anything.
One spot I saw two fish together sunning themselves. Since there were two I thought they were whites for sure. Casted my wee little hook at them. They both attacked and then I saw they were pike. Weird! Luckily I hooked one in the corner of the mouth and a good fight later, landed the pike on a wee, wee hook.

First whitefish landed maybe 3 casts in so in the first 5 min.

Morning chop and great views

Pike on.

Full limit - 5.1 and 4.1 lbers

Cooked one up fresh with butter, lemon, salt, pepper and a bit of garlic. It was fantastic. The fatter of the two is in the brine and will get smoked today.

Great day out!

Wind outside of Jasper was ridiculous. In-between Hinton and Edson a fire started and it grew quick. Saw quaders fleeing in every direction. Not sure if it was them who started it. After that I passed, fire truck, after fire hauling equipment, police...everyone was responding with everything they had. I hope they get it out. That wind is so bad for this. I hope it doesn't get added to another region with another wild fire.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:21 AM

Can you pass along any tips on how you caught the Whitefish . Where they in deep water , or shallow . What fly were you using . I have a few lakes in my area that hold Whitefish . Thank you
Old 05-21-2019, 04:54 PM

Grats SNAPFisher

Thanks for sharing

David
Old 05-22-2019, 09:37 AM

I was there on Monday evening and fishing was quite slow. Hooked a few small pike on fly but fished pretty hard. Wind was a challenge and fished a lot of likely looking water in sheltered areas, even trolled steamers across the lake a round weeds a few time with little effect.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:35 AM

Default White fish

Thats two dandy white fish.I drove brewsters icefield explorers for many years on the Athabasca glacier,and lived in the residence.Spent many days on that lake,lots of pike,a real fun lake.The snareing river has lots of whitefish nearby.Released a for sure a 20lb bull trout on that river.The perfect setting-----
Old 06-15-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
Thats two dandy white fish.I drove brewsters icefield explorers for many years on the Athabasca glacier,and lived in the residence.Spent many days on that lake,lots of pike,a real fun lake.The snareing river has lots of whitefish nearby.Released a for sure a 20lb bull trout on that river.The perfect setting-----
Five pounds over the provincial record? I somehow doubt that. Bull trout are never as heavy as they look, their torpedo body makes up for that.