Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-08-2019, 07:29 AM
AO Sponsor

Default 2018-2019 Coyote Harvest... Preliminaries!

The first gauge of the coyote harvest size is NAFA depot quantities at last receiving dates. Looks like we are bang on consistent to last years numbers, perhaps slightly up if we factor in who came/shipped and who didn’t.

Rumours of one other significant Alberta depot coyote numbers are stable as well.

The word is the carcass dealers numbers are way slow however. This is where, if there is a shortage, the shortage is being seen.

Can’t jump to conclusions yet but it looks stable for the first sale, however market buyers that rely on country carcass dealers may yet hit the panic button!
Go Woods!!! Good luck!!!

The end.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:02 PM
AO Sponsor

A look at the new tracibility security tags. Only a couple of depots are using these tags this year on a trial basis this season. Tags currently used for coyote only and are to be affixed and remain thru the dressing process, thru to the final destination.

Each ticket bears a distinct bar code just like the old skin tickets. I don’t think this years version of seal has an RFID chip, but future tickets will.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:09 AM
Banned

Is this the Canada Goose traceability initiative? Do you know where Trappers can find out more info about the status of the program?
Old 01-09-2019, 06:55 AM

Marty Rod Graham here I got a few bags of those tags from you or Marilyn a few years ago an I thought that they looked great. About a third of them will break off in the drumming after they go through the tanning process. Just a heads up there are tags with a zip tie attachment that stay the whole process.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
Marty Rod Graham here I got a few bags of those tags from you or Marilyn a few years ago an I thought that they looked great. About a third of them will break off in the drumming after they go through the tanning process. Just a heads up there are tags with a zip tie attachment that stay the whole process.
Lets hope they dont break .. that would be a disaster to have your dogs unidentifiable .. I wondered about this when they were attached , I like the old method better .
Old 01-09-2019, 07:51 AM

That's really interesting. It was kinda sounding like numbers were down in many places. I can't say that mine are down too bad but I know I seem to have to work a lot harder to keep them up. Maybe coyotes are starting to catch on to our methods?

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 01-09-2019, 09:42 AM
AO Sponsor

Rod, the NAFA tags are different that the security seals you got from me. The NAFA people have run rigorous tests with their tags and claim they survive the dressing.

The remaining tags l have left I am retiring due to the similarity of the Canadian NAFA seal. We are carrying the rat tail seals now and I can say these ones survive the tanning process at International Fur Dressers. They are tough.

USA NAFA seals are white.

These seals have been in use for a number of years now. They have used them on the top lots for at least 2 years and were adding seals to all skins last year in Toronto. I would assume that if they weren't standing up that NAFA would be well aware.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:33 AM
AO Sponsor

Old 01-09-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
The first gauge of the coyote harvest size is NAFA depot quantities at last receiving dates. Looks like we are bang on consistent to last years numbers, perhaps slightly up if we factor in who came/shipped and who didn’t.

Rumours of one other significant Alberta depot coyote numbers are stable as well.

The word is the carcass dealers numbers are way slow however. This is where, if there is a shortage, the shortage is being seen.

Can’t jump to conclusions yet but it looks stable for the first sale, however market buyers that rely on country carcass dealers may yet hit the panic button!
Go Woods!!! Good luck!!!

The end.
I guess we dont really know how many of those that shipped this time are stuff that guys held over from not shipping to last seasons last sale. You hear lots of people saying they gonna hold them over til next sale but how many do? I guess in the end total number on sale is all thats relevant. Just thinking on the terms of catch rate and success from this current season.
Im a rookie at this so maybe Im way out too lunch. It happens.
Old 01-09-2019, 04:53 PM

Most times upgrading technology is better. Was NAFA having issues with the stapled bar code tags? Or just thought it was time for an upgrade?
Old 01-09-2019, 10:58 PM

Talked to Betty at Halfords and after close on last receiving day they are just shy of 3000 coyotes. They normally are over 5000. As for marten they usually ship between 800 and 1000. This year all their marten fit in a plastic tot.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:36 AM
Banned

I talked to the fur handlers at the ATA depot Saturday when I took my fur in. They were saying that a lot of Trappers were reporting that it was a slow year for coyotes. Tracey was saying that the count was about the same as last year though. Someone is doing well catching them but not anyone that I know around here.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:13 AM

My Fur Depot is way down in coyote numbers........