Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-02-2014, 10:10 AM
Banned

Default Some spare parts and some spare time...pic heavy

I had purchased a Stevens 200 chambered in .243 from a member. The .243 isn't high on my wish list, but I happened to have a spare 7mm-08 barrel with very low round count. With these parts and a few others on hand, I decided to build a small walking carbine. The criteria for this rifle is that it also must be able to stand on it's own in various bench matches for hunting type rifles. So, following the rules as set out by the Leffingwell shoot, I went to work on it:

I began by chopping the 7-08 barrel down to 18.25" and re-crowning with an 11 degree target crown.

I then turned some aluminum pillars and milled out recess for the trigger sear and bolt release.

Although Savage actions feature a floating bolt head which in theory does not require lug lapping, I concluded that lapping would improve surface contact in spite of what "they" say. Here, I inserted a spring in the tailstock quill and used a wooden dowel to apply pressure on the bolt face.

With all this "accurazing" work, why not make the bolt pretty. Engine turning or more commonly known as "jewelling".

The action finish was worn, but my barrel was fairly new. I had two options, rust bluing or Dura-Coating. I opted for Dura-Coating as it is less time consuming.

The original plastic stock isn't my cup of tea either. So, I cut a copy (with slight mods) using a nice piece of cherry wood. The pillars are glued in and the action is bedded using Brownell's Acraglass. It needed a scope. I have a Weaver K6, but the tube could be in better shape. I wanted something with a target dot, no mill dots and other stuff that makes for a busy reticle. I found a Vortex with a target dot at Flys Etc. in High River. I don't care for the illumination, but it comes with it so my options were restricted. For the money, it's a decent scope and does just what I expect of it. I mounted it in Leupold STD's. Instead of re-using the factory hockey puck pad, I had a spare grind to fit Limbsaver. I've had horrible results grinding these following Sims' recommendations to freeze the pad and soak the gringing belt with WD40. In this case, I omitted both recommendations and the result was a much nicer finish. The stock for-end is 2" shorter than original and the buttstock is shortened to accommodate the Limbsaver thickness to retain a desirable length of pull

On to load development. It sure became clear that shortages of loading component is a very real thing at this time. Could not find any Sierra 130gr Matchkings, even Sierra has none in stock at this time. So, I picked up some new to me Speer 145gr Gold Match HPBT bullets. Stuffed the RP casings with 37.5gr of RL15 (yes I have some of that) and primed with CCI200. I'm on the hunt for 120gr BT's as we speak.

The End.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:13 AM

See what you can accomplish while your sitting in the penalty box, serving your time.

Nice to see you back.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-02-2014, 10:16 AM

Woah, nice job!
Old 08-02-2014, 10:23 AM

Nice job. Great looking workshop.

Welcome back.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:49 AM

Very nice work. Welcome back, we missed you.

One question, do the Savage Axis rifles still have the floating head on the bolt, I thought I read somewhere that they recently no longer do?
Old 08-02-2014, 10:52 AM
Banned

I don't know Dean, haven't seen one in a while now. I forgot to mention the trigger in my presentation. It's a Rifle Basix SAV-2. I've currently got it set to pull at 8 ounces, sweet trigger.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:11 AM

Nice work. Thought of you the other day as I was in Fly's Etc. Good to have you back!
Old 08-02-2014, 11:16 AM
Banned

Thanks CB. Did you happen to go a few hundred yards south of the current store to see construction of the new store? It's gonna be a gooder, with plenty of room to walk through and not knock stuff off the shelves. If memory serves me right, 10,000 square feet.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:21 AM

Well I would have driven right past it without knowing that it was the new store location, the girlfriend and I were on our way back from Waterton. I was looking for specific bullets and lo and behold they had them! Saves me from having to do last minute load development Can't wait for it to open, any idea when?
Old 08-02-2014, 11:35 AM

Welcome back git. You had any time for shooting with all your time away from the keyboard?
Old 08-02-2014, 11:40 AM
Banned

Again, I'm going on rumours here, but this fall is what I hear. Pending no construction glitches of course. In my search for component bullets all the way from Cranbrook to Balzac and everything in between. I'll vouch for the fact that in spite of current shortages that affect all stores, Flys still seems to have the largest and best selection.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchardy1972 View Post
Welcome back git. You had any time for shooting with all your time away from the keyboard?
Thanks buddy. I did, but put in a lot of practise with the shotgun at home. That earned me a gold metal in trap at the summer games in Pincher. Also spent a day at Silver Willows with Browntrout and a few others shooting sporting clays. T'was my first time, another dang addiction now. So many shooting sports, so little time.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:00 PM

Beauty work.

Nice to see you back. Your timeout was exceptionally productive.

Then did he raise on high the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, saying, "Bless this, O Lord, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."
Old 08-02-2014, 04:40 PM

Nice work bud and yes it's good to have you back!

Silver Willow is a lot of fun. Very humbling for a poor shot like me but a great way to spend the afternoon! Man I'd love to come out and just watch you work on guns for a day, shoot the breeze and sip a cold one!

Maybe some day I can watch build a stock for a Savage
Old 08-02-2014, 05:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallAirFever View Post
Nice work bud and yes it's good to have you back!

Silver Willow is a lot of fun. Very humbling for a poor shot like me but a great way to spend the afternoon! Man I'd love to come out and just watch you work on guns for a day, shoot the breeze and sip a cold one!

Maybe some day I can watch build a stock for a Savage
Thank you so much for the welcome back good friend. I do have a Savage stock that I could duplicate to fit your gun, you know the one I'm sure. Will we be seeing you at the Drayton Valley Rifle Rodeo again this year? I do hope so, got a room booked for Nick, Benny and I. Won't be bringing the camper this year.