Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-20-2021, 07:39 PM
Banned

Default Savage tactical 6mm-ARC release

Right on...a barrel away from another Grendel option lol.

This 6mm-Arc will become popular very quickly. https://savagearms.com/content?p=fir...ummary&s=57006
Old 01-20-2021, 07:48 PM

looks like a similar setup to the ruger American ranch
Old 01-20-2021, 10:08 PM
Banned

ya, but is a 110 a step up from an american action? certainly known for accuracy and the americans are no slouch there either but, that's a great start for the cartridge, it should spread
Old 01-21-2021, 06:01 AM

Have seen these available in the US for a while but IMO they should have used a 20” barrel.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:02 AM

Not the prettiest rifle but if it performs as well as the model 10’s I’ve encountered it should be annoyingly accurate.

I’m curious what mags they are using. The webpage says 10 round magpul AICS. All the other calibers list a round capacity but it says N/A for the 6mm ARC. I didn’t think magpul made anything for the Grendel family but maybe that has changed now?
Old 01-21-2021, 08:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
Have seen these available in the US for a while but IMO they should have used a 20” barrel.
ya they get access to suppressors down there so a trend to the 16-18" to account for the extra length, although the arc and grendel get a lot of bang for buck out of that length of barrel, i think 19" was optimum for the grendel when someone did the velocity testing cutting 1" off at time from full length tube to near pistol barrel lengths

so 18" isn't that bad

also on the magazines, i'd have to assume those are 'ar' compatible magazines? if so then any 7.62x39 ar magazines should work, such as the c-products 10 round pistol mags that we do have access here but one would just need to do a bit of research first i guess, those 10 round mags certainly work well for grendel in the ruger ranch, no reason they shouldn't feed the 6-arc as it's basically a 6 grendel anyway
Old 01-21-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
ya they get access to suppressors down there so a trend to the 16-18" to account for the extra length, although the arc and grendel get a lot of bang for buck out of that length of barrel, i think 19" was optimum for the grendel when someone did the velocity testing cutting 1" off at time from full length tube to near pistol barrel lengths

so 18" isn't that bad
True, if I could use a suppressor 18" would be good. I agree that 18" in the ARC is fine (designed around an 18" barrel) but having had shorter barreled rifles I find 20-22" about perfect (depending on cartridge, barrel profile etc.). Without a supressor I don't see any attraction in the trend towards 16" and shorter bolt action rifles in chamberings like .308. Maybe in smaller, straight walled pistol chamberings or something like .300BLK.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:35 PM

More a made-for-AR calibre to me.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:56 PM
Banned

yup, that was the idea behind the 6.5 grendel and then the 6mm-arc, to improve down range terminal performance over the ole 5.56/.223 in the AR platform, 52,000 psi cartridges

like most cartridges we are fans of that were also designed for semi-auto military use, no different

the 6.5 Grendel was designed to be a 200-800 yard effective range cartridge, the 6mm-Arc adds a couple hundred yards to that top end, pretty impressive for 30 grains of powder (the 5.56/.223 was falling on it's face before 600 yards)

6mm-Arc already adopted by DOD unit in use military, it will be popular, it adds another 400 plus effective yards over the 5.56/.223 platform while still easy to spot your own hits 1000 yard solid terminal performance and lightweight AR-15 platform, much lighter than the AR-10 platforms, carry more ammo etc. but spotting your own hits not requiring a spotter was a big factor from understanding, the Grendel heavier bullets doesn't win in that category so more suitable for hunting anyway, we don't have as specialized needs as military

work just fine in bolt actions too, like most military designed rounds we love, can load them a little warmer in bolt actions since factory pressure is only 52,000 psi also

i don't reload, 52,000 psi is doing plenty for me, will keep the barrel life and overall moderate everything, my Grendels spit 123gr hornady black at approx. 2400 fps out of 16" factory barrels and closer over 2550 from 23.5" factory barrel and from a 24" proof carbon hand lapped barrel went 2605 fps average, more than enough for my needs

also, finally having access to a factory short fat 6mm cartridge that fits into the br/ppc/dasher classes is great for the target communities imo, again, spotting hits will likely play a big factor in prc matches etc. i bet lots of 6.5 and 6 Creedmoor guys migrate to the ARC for that reason alone also, whatever disciplines where spotting your hits will be beneficial will likely see some growth to the Arc
Old 01-21-2021, 04:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
True, if I could use a suppressor 18" would be good. I agree that 18" in the ARC is fine (designed around an 18" barrel) but having had shorter barreled rifles I find 20-22" about perfect (depending on cartridge, barrel profile etc.). Without a supressor I don't see any attraction in the trend towards 16" and shorter bolt action rifles in chamberings like .308. Maybe in smaller, straight walled pistol chamberings or something like .300BLK.
ya i hear ya, the 16.1" barrel ruger american ranch i have barks pretty good, i certainly would not want anything shorter, 20" likely ideal, whatever barrel lengths one might consider ideal for .308 in terms of taming muzzle blast and velocity efficiency is similar for Grendel 20" pretty standard but they do really well with shorter barrels also