Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-04-2018, 06:55 PM

Default Anyone live in Summerside (Edmonton)?

Hi.
Looking to ask a question or two to anyone on the forum that lives in Summerside, Edmonton? Curious about the stocked pond.
Thanks
Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason.seaward View Post
Hi.
Looking to ask a question or two to anyone on the forum that lives in Summerside, Edmonton? Curious about the stocked pond.
Thanks
Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a friend that has a nephew living there, the pond is private to members who live there and it's stocked with perch. That's all I know, I hope it helps.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:06 PM

Stocked with trout, perch are courtesy of the Bucket Brigade.

Members and guests of members only.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:28 PM

Default Not intentionally stocked with perch

I live in Summerside. As stated, it can be fished without a provincial license by members and their guests.

The intent was to have a classic rainbow trout fishery, so it is stocked intentionally with rainbows every year. The bucket brigade did make their best attempt to wreck it with perch, and now they are established too. Because...that's what how we roll in this province. Some attempts have been made to net the lake and remove perch. It is not nearly the aggressive program as the one implemented / used in Lake Sundance, Calgary.

Also, at one time, it was also stocked with Asian grass carp to keep weeds down. I believe that stocking has now been suspended, due to exotic, imported species concerns. The grass carp are / were big. 8 to 10 lbs. But without continued stocking, the carp will die out.

As there is some evidence that Tiger trout, unlike rainbows, may prey on perch, I am hoping some Tigers will make it in there. Plus it would be cool to have a Tiger trout fishery in the city.

Lastly, of course, it has also been the dumping ground of some goldfish.

I found the pond fished ok last year, but I personally didn't catch too many big ones. Having a really decent fishery is not high on the priority list of the Summerside management team. They have to balance all users interests.

Hope that helps.