Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-27-2010, 12:09 AM

Angry Pulled trigger but no bang!!!!!

Well I pulled the trigger on a Mulie buck (no monster) today but there was a click and no bang.

I dont think it was the primer since it barely had a dent in it. I shoot an old 760 Remington in 30-06. I have never had a misfire with this or any rifle before. I set up and refired the round in question and you guessed it big bang. After that I fired 2 magazines (8 shots) and every one worked perfectly.
Is there something I should do?? I removed the trigger assembly tonight but i did not know how to remove the firing pin and could not find a step by step youtube on the 760.

Does this just happen sometimes? I am a little worried about tomorrow as I am going out again. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
Well I pulled the trigger on a Mulie buck (no monster) today but there was a click and no bang.

I don't think it was the primer since it barely had a dent in it.
It has never happened to me (except in 22lr rimfires) but if the firing pin hit the primer the rifle did its job. Except that the primer with just barely a dent in it suggests that the firing pin didn't hit the primer hard enough. If the rifle worked fine afterwards were the primers well dented from the firing pin or just barely dented?
Old 11-27-2010, 01:12 AM

Maybe cold lube slowed things down just enough to ruin your first shot?
Old 11-27-2010, 03:07 AM

sounds like you were hunting in cold weather I,ve had same thing happen to me, cause was stiff oil that was for cold weather -40.now I clean the action with a solvent a week before hunting season and use no oil untill the end of season then oil it.it cured the problem. solvent must leave some oil or a film as I have no rust problems.By the way it was only about -15 when this happend to me.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:32 AM

I had the same issur with my T/C. probaly 20% misfires. In summer weather. I sent it in for warranty, but am wishing I wouldn't have. The rifle is brand new, I should have pulled it apart, and degreased it on my own first, but I just assumed the trigger spring was faulty.

I would clean it out, then oil it with Aero-Kroil. It's a very light oil, and a little goes a very long way. Can be a little tough to find. P & D carries it though.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:52 AM

That could be it. Thanks guys.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:30 AM

Most gun lubes and cold weather are a very bad idea, and can easily casue misfires. Put a can of hoppes, Kroil, Casey's or Rem gun oil outside in -20 weather then see how slow it moves. Put it out at -40 and most of them will turn solid.

I use alcohol to clean off all oil in the trigger and inside the bolt, then I use a low temp graphite that was specially designed for lubing fishing reels for ice fishing in -60. It is now repackaged for gun use by Gunslick. It comes in a small white and grey tube of .2 ounces, tagged as Anhydrous Graphite. (One tube will do a medium sized spinning reel, so there is lots to do a few guns.)

Another good choice is a product by Synco called Super Lube. It is telfon based and rated to -65. I have used both products on guns used in the Territiories and above the arctic circle. They worked great in -55 on guns that were outside in gun cases for days on end on Musk-ox and Walrus/seal hunts.

For those of you who worry about no oil, or rust, and who aren't hunting quite such extreme weather Amsoil 0-20 works well for normal low temp applications.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:17 AM

Same thing happened here on a WT buck, I thought "you're mine", click, bye,bye. Thought it was water that froze around the pin spring coils,(but it wasnt as hard-core cold as you experience there.) Last day of season, hard lesson.
2 Cor. 5:17 (ESV)
Old 11-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Banned

My cousin on our Antelope hunt had the same thing happen. Pulled the trigger and "click". Primer had a small dent but very minimal. He was shooting a T3 and what we figured is the bolt had been slightly lifted(bolt on his doesnt take much force to move) when he crawled up the last few feet. When the trigger was pulled it just dropped the bolt and slightly hit the primer. We tried the same bullet after and it fired. And then we tried another with the bolt partly lifted and got the same result, just a click.
Just an idea for you.
SG
Old 11-27-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post

I dont think it was the primer since it barely had a dent in it. I shoot an old 760 Remington in 30-06. I have never had a misfire with this or any rifle before. I set up and refired the round in question and you guessed it big bang. After that I fired 2 magazines (8 shots) and every one worked perfectly.
Is there something I should do?? I removed the trigger assembly tonight but i did not know how to remove the firing pin and could not find a step by step youtube on the 760.

Does this just happen sometimes? I am a little worried about tomorrow as I am going out again. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
This happened to me once with a 7600 and it was not a meat buck. Loud click when the trigger released but the pin never touched the primer. Buck was about 5 yards away and nearly came out of his skin getting out of there. Two 7600s and a 760 down the road to new owners.

There are two problems with the design.

First is the rifle has to be stripped and cleaned. The reciever comes out with the barrel and it takes some practise. Some parts need lube while other need to be clean and dry. To do it properly is more than most people want to bother with after a day in the field.

The second problem is the way they are stored. A person doesn't want to put hands on the metal after a wipe down. They grab the forestock and set the rifle in the safe. It cocks with the forestock foreward and sits like this weakening the spring until the next use.

760s are getting old now and a good strip and clean along with a new spring or two might be a wise investment.

When the weather gets really fridgit just grab a Lee Enfield or a Springfield and you'll have no worries.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:39 PM

Had this happen to me on my mule deer hunt last year as well. Had a big guy lined up. *Click* *Click* *Click* Every shell I tried, had a decent indent in it, just wouldn't go off. I tried the same shells again after, and still wouldn't work. Went and bought a different brand of shells, and worked flawlessly....last time I use those shells again....
Old 11-27-2010, 08:33 PM

I use either of 2 dry lubes for this very reason. I've not personally experienced the problem, but would like to avoid learn from others mistakes; if just this once. One is Remington Dry Lube, it sprays on and leaves a dry film
lube, it's a white color. I don't know if they prote t against corrosion as
well as an oil, but I've not had any noticeable issues yet. The other is a Gunk brand dry lube, pretty much the same thing, perhaps they even package it for Remington. I've found it at Canadian Tire and Peavey Mart.
Old 11-28-2010, 11:59 AM
Banned

Dean,
I've been thinking about this one and I figured that I'd throw this out there. Is it possible that the last time you used the rifle before this happened you got some snow in the barrel? Then when you took the rifle into the warm the snow melted and the water ran down the barrel onto the bolt face and firing pin. The next time that you took it out it froze on the bolt face and firing pin. I know that it's not a high tech answer but that's how my mind works...lol!
Old 11-28-2010, 04:17 PM

HD

You may have the explannation but can't say as it wasn't me this happened to. I learned about the effect of frozen lubes, old ammo, and weak primers shooting in real cold weather at the range, testing sighting and performance of rounds at -40.

Having seen the effect I wanted to be damn sure it never happened when I really needed the gun to work. Polar bears don't give you a second chance. They think of people as VERY slow moving seals that live far from blow holes. Real easy to catch.

When hunting in very cold environments, which I try to do less of the older I get, all loads are done up with magnum rifle primers, ammo is loaded in small batches and used the year it is made, once the ammo is is very cold we try not to bring it back in where it is warm so you don't get condensation inside and all guns are completely stripped of oil. Only the Teflon lube or the Gunslick graphite is used and a couple of the guys shoot them completely dry. Most guns are stainless actions, barrels and triggers to resist rust. Once they are cold we leave them outside and don't heat them up till the hunt is completely over either.

I know most of this is overkill for average conditions, but using top quality synthetic lube is a very good precaution even in normal fall weather. Using freshly loaded ammo every year, or at least ammo that hasn't gotten real cold and been re-warmed a couple of times, isn't a bad option either, and is pretty easy to do.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:11 PM

I had the same thing happen today. Only I relaxed this time and took a minute to think instead of pumping rapidly.

I feel a little silly but the first time u rush to reload and everything happened so fast I think I missed the obvious.

I see now every primer has what appears to be a small dent so there was no dent from a firing pin whatsoever the first time. Just an assumption I had made.

Today the problem I discovered was the latch on the magazine. It is worn just enough that you are able to insert the magazine and hear the normal click. However the magazine is just slighty too far from the action to feed a cartridge. Hence the click.(insert running away deer icon)

Thanks for the advice but it appears what I need is to throw away that magazine or build up the latch slightly. So frustrating that it happened 2 times so near the end of the season. Today was likely my last chance to hunt deer so it is going to be tag soup until my cow elk tag in december.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:02 PM

i dont use any lube or any grease/teflon/silicone of any kind on the firing pin.
I use brake cleaner and blast the bolt assm and use heavy grease on the locking lugs.
if i was parking the gun for a while or till next season id oil the gesus out of it. but again...blast it out.
maybe tosser in the ol deepfreeze and see if you cant get a failure

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 12-06-2010, 10:34 AM

Default Oil and cold weather!

The boys are right! Never use oil on the firing pin. 100 years ago when I was younger I oiled up my 22 and was rabbit hunting outside Ottawa. When I pulled the trigger out of the corner of my eye I could see the firing mechanism move forward. No Bang no rabbit, didn't even spook him.

Since then no oil ever graphite if I think it needs it.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:50 PM

happens to me all the time with my 760. It is because the clip is not all the way pushed in. It gets annoying
Old 12-06-2010, 09:52 PM
Banned

Default 760

I have three 760 pumps with the oldest one being about 40 years old and never had a problem with any of them yet.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:14 PM
Banned

Are they Federal primers?
Old 12-07-2010, 06:13 PM

So then, Deanmc, are you saying that your rifle went 'click' because the magazine was not fully seated therefore the bolt didn't chamber a round?
Old 12-07-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
So then, Deanmc, are you saying that your rifle went 'click' because the magazine was not fully seated therefore the bolt didn't chamber a round?
Yes. I am absolutely certain that was the problem. Embarrassing but true.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:41 PM

Hey, stuff happens to me too.