Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-17-2010, 08:45 AM

Default Importing guns from US and UK

I have checked the RCMP web-site and for non-restricted they say the importer needs a PAL and Firearm Registration Certificate. OK I have a PAL since day one, but does the Registration certificate mean from the originating country for the firearm(US or UK)? or a Canadian FRC? I can't find the info on the web-site.
If it is a Canadian FRC, do I need to call the registration people prior to bringing the firearm back to Canada in order to pre-register, or can this be done at the border/airport on arrival back in Canada? I will be in Florida in November and will be checking out non-restricted guns. Also there is a shotgun in UK, owned by a relative that I am interested in importing.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:59 AM

You must pre-register the firearm in Canada. You cannot legally carry a gun in the USA unless you are an American, so it may be difficult to do what you are suggesting, bringing it through customs at the airport. My understanding is that only a broker can legally export a gun from the USA. I paid a guy $100 bucks to bring a firearm up for me. We purchased and shipped to the border, he did the paperwork etc. Saved $400.00 over WSS, even after the importers cost.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:26 AM

I use Clay at Prophet River to import firearms from the USA for me.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadof5 View Post
You must pre-register the firearm in Canada. You cannot legally carry a gun in the USA unless you are an American, so it may be difficult to do what you are suggesting, bringing it through customs at the airport. My understanding is that only a broker can legally export a gun from the USA. I paid a guy $100 bucks to bring a firearm up for me. We purchased and shipped to the border, he did the paperwork etc. Saved $400.00 over WSS, even after the importers cost.
Yes, the savings are good. I been comparing a Remington 700 CDL Classic DL, here and US. WSS are asking $869.95 and in Florida I am looking at $599.00 a saving of $270.00. With Canadian $ parity, that is a great saving.
When I brought a boat from the US to Canada, I brought it to the Border and the customs people did everything there (except the compliance inspection which I had to get done at Canadian Tire). Had thought that I could do the same with a gun, but it seems they are more stringent with guns. I see on a few web-sites that they ship internationally, maybe I should check in advance with US dealers to see what they do.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Yes, the savings are good. I been comparing a Remington 700 CDL Classic DL, here and US. WSS are asking $869.95 and in Florida I am looking at $599.00 a saving of $270.00. With Canadian $ parity, that is a great saving.
Factor in the shipping and the export paperwork,and then compare the prices again.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I also use Clay,it is a pretty simple and painless process.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Factor in the shipping and the export paperwork,and then compare the prices again.
Elk, that makes sense, savings may end up be less than I expect. Just that I thought that bringing one back with me was an option, but if the paperwork is needed in advance, I guess I may jut be window shopping when I am down there.
Actually, the rifle is for my son (he has a PAL). It may be that he ends up going the local purchase route, but I figured he could end up with a rifle and scope from the US for the cost of just the rifle here.
Old 10-17-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
I also use Clay,it is a pretty simple and painless process.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Actually, the rifle is for my son (he has a PAL). It may be that he ends up going the local purchase route, but I figured he could end up with a rifle and scope from the US for the cost of just the rifle here.
Shop around locally,try Prophet River,depending on the gun,Clay often has prices below WSS,a friend just bought a Remington XCR in 270WSM and a scope from Clay and saved almost $300.My hunting partner saved $300 on a Sako Greywolf in 270WSM.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:22 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertslake View Post
Elk, that makes sense, savings may end up be less than I expect. Just that I thought that bringing one back with me was an option, but if the paperwork is needed in advance, I guess I may jut be window shopping when I am down there.
Regardless of the paperwork being done in advance, there is NO option of bringing it back yourself. It must be shipped. Those are American regulations....not Canadian.

Not sure about UK regulations. Getting a firearm into Canada is a very simple process. Getting it out of other countries, however, is where the painful part begins.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:05 PM

Default importing costs

Not to hijack the thread, but what kinda costs are involved to get someone like Clay to bring the guns in from the US?
I would gladly buy them here, but the ones I am looking at are fairly collectible old sidelocks.
What kind of fees can be expected?
Old 10-17-2010, 02:08 PM

Clay charges right around $200 to take care of all of the paperwork and shipping from the USA to his business.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Clay charges right around $200 to take care of all of the paperwork and shipping from the USA to his business.
I checked out the Prophet River site and he lists the charge as $195.00. So all of a sudden, the savings start to tumble. I think I would need to be seeing $400+ savings on a gun to make it worthwhile. With $195.00 for the processing cost, shipping charges from US to Canada and from Lloyd to Alberta destination, the savings are quickly reduced.
Old 10-17-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I checked out the Prophet River site and he lists the charge as $195.00. So all of a sudden, the savings start to tumble. I think I would need to be seeing $400+ savings on a gun to make it worthwhile. With $195.00 for the processing cost, shipping charges from US to Canada and from Lloyd to Alberta destination, the savings are quickly reduced.
I have bought new guns for up to $700 cheaper in the USA than in Canada,so even with the fees,the savings were substantial.I also have had Clay import hard to find guns,or guns that are not for sale in Canada,because there is no Canadian dealer.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
I have bought new guns for up to $700 cheaper in the USA than in Canada,so even with the fees,the savings were substantial.I also have had Clay import hard to find guns,or guns that are not for sale in Canada,because there is no Canadian dealer.
I am not going to drop the idea buying in US. I will go to plan B and just do a bit of looking around when I am down there and do price comparisons. If I see what I want with enough difference to make it worthwhile I will go for it.
My son decided not to wait and went into WSS and bought his first rifle a .270 Savage, so I will be looking for yet another gun for myself when I go to FL. He decided to go with the one with the 3x9 scope mounted. Looks to be a half decent first rifle for him. He wanted his own rifle and not borrow any of mine.They bore sighted it for him, but I think I will check it with my own bore sighter , just to make sure it is ok.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:51 PM

A few weeks ago I stopped to chat with the Homeland Security, formerly known as Border Patrol agents at a crossing in BC. They wished me luck in my attempt to purchase a firearm in the USofA. The biggest hurdle is procuring a exportation permit, and at present the BATF boys are not being very liberal with issueing these.

Essentially, you could attempt to drive to the Canadian Customs stationg as all that is needed from the Canadian perspective is a registration and a valid PAL. On the other hand, the Homeland Security gents reserve the right to search all vehicles exiting the country and if you were caught attempting to export a firearm without the necessary paperwork, you could receive a hefty fine and have your personal effects confiscated.

At present I am entertaining myself by attempting to negotiate the tangle of bureacracy surrounding the issue. Not really holding my breath, but I am having a good time writing letters and making phone calls.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:00 PM

this is a email I recieved when enquiring about a scope purchase from the US. firearms have a similar BS Process.

If you intend to have a rifle scope shipped to Canada, you must first have an import permit furnished by your government before we can apply for an export permit. Binoculars and rifle scope mounts do not require any special permits. Shipping to a US address requires no permit.

Following are the steps to apply on line:
1 Go to Canada Riflescope Export
2 Left side of page: Apply for "International Import Certificate"

3 Accept Privacy statement and fill out form

If you have problems completing the application call 1-613-944-1265 or 1-877-808-8838.

It will take about ten days for your permit approval. Upon receiving approval, email the permit number to us so that we can apply for our export permit. Our approval period is about three weeks.

We can get a permit for several scopes and it is good for 2 years. So if you decide to go ahead with this, maybe apply for whatever you may want in the future as well.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:18 PM

I used Clay on a recent buy, worked great.

I am researching bringing in supplies from Australia or the UK. I would like to buy some unusual products available from the US but can't due to thier laws.

Anyone brought in brass, bullets, and gun parts from overseas?
Old 10-30-2010, 05:38 PM

Hello, Im confussed now. I know importing guns may be tricky but you cant import a scope or bino's? I am a dual citizen I am going to in San Diego and will be coming back to edmonton in november. I am bringing a rifle scope and a box of berger reloading bullets. I have called the airlines, the canadian border, and the American security people at the airlines and the only thing they have said is I cannot have them as a carry on item they have to be checked? The canadian border said I only need to declare anything I bring across and pay taxes on anything over the limit. Maybe because I am an american citizen it is different for me but now its starting to get ridicules if you cant bring optics across maybe they are talking about exporting or importing in big quantities to sell?
Old 10-30-2010, 07:06 PM

I'm not up to speed on the details. What I found is noone in the internet sales world will deal with Canadians for cartridge components, gun parts, scopes etc, regardless of the fine print.

I refuse to go near the border with any firearms related products, either way. Declare a weapon technology at the border and I believe you will immediately enter the NSA database as a person of interest. After the Patriot Act citizenship in the US means nothing when weapons and borders are involved.

I have also found what Canada Immigration says before a trip and what some poorly trained border gaurd will do is almost gauranteed to drive you crazy. This is no joke, we adopted 2 girls from China over a 2 year period. You cannot believe the confusion, inaccurate info, and frustration dealing with the Canadian Feds. This is child adoption regulated by national and international treaties and laws with certified paperwork in order months before landing in Canada and by its very nature a very serious endeavor. What chance does a Leupold scope have?
Old 12-07-2010, 09:41 AM

Default Importing from USA

Do any of the gun shops in or near Calgary offer this service?
Old 12-07-2010, 09:54 AM

Default Antique Guns and the U.S.

You can bring in pre 1898 long guns from the U.S. without restriction providing that they are single shots or if they have a magazine they will need to be pre registered and a registration certificate obtained and available for viewing by Canada Customs upon re entering Canada from the U.S.

Regarding importing guns from England into Canada. I used to be a Firearms dealer over there and the whole paperwork thing in England on firearms has become a minefield. There are no restictions on the exporting of firearms related equipment, brass cases, scopes or loading equipent though as I understand it.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinO View Post
Hello, Im confussed now. I know importing guns may be tricky but you cant import a scope or bino's? I am a dual citizen I am going to in San Diego and will be coming back to edmonton in november. I am bringing a rifle scope and a box of berger reloading bullets. I have called the airlines, the canadian border, and the American security people at the airlines and the only thing they have said is I cannot have them as a carry on item they have to be checked? The canadian border said I only need to declare anything I bring across and pay taxes on anything over the limit. Maybe because I am an american citizen it is different for me but now its starting to get ridicules if you cant bring optics across maybe they are talking about exporting or importing in big quantities to sell?
Even though you have dual citizenship, you still cannot legally bring a rifle scope into Canada. Doesn't matter if it is only one scope. This is not Canadian law, but rather rediculous American law. Canadian border doesn't care. If you are over your allowed limit, you pay the taxes and any other fee there might be. Problem is you cannot legally transport it in the US without an export permit. I know of people who have brought scopes back because they didn't know about the US law regarding these items and they weren't checked by home land security. There was no problem at the Canadian border because it now becomes Canadian law. In fact in a lot of cases people aren't even checked. They are just asked how much was spent. Of course it depends on who you get. Bottom line, you can take your chances bringing something like a scope or shells back, but if you get stopped on the American side, good luck.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Do any of the gun shops in or near Calgary offer this service?
i just call up Prophet River, and tell him what I need.He does the paperwork, imports the gun, then mails the gun to me, without me ever having to visit the store.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:40 AM

Default guns

Any dealings I have had with Clay were always 100%
Old 12-07-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Bob View Post
Declare a weapon technology at the border and I believe you will immediately enter the NSA database as a person of interest. After the Patriot Act citizenship in the US means nothing when weapons and borders are involved.
Bear in mind the individual passing along this info goes by the name "Canuck Bob" not Yankee Bob.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:17 AM

Under the new export rules in the USA, BATF has jurisdiction over most stuff, Dept of Commerce has jurisdiction over some stuff, depends what you are buying. The Americans can't comprehend their own laws on that part of it.
Guns, scopes, certain gun parts, chokes all require export permits from the US government. Which branch issues it is up to who has jurisdiction on that item.
To get a firearm or other items up here,you need the vendor invoice, it is apparently prudent to get the import permit from the Cdn government, send a copy down to the vendor, and the registration, he sends it to wherever he has to apply for the export permit, he can apparently ship to a bonded agent, who can release it, after you go to Cda Customs with all the paperwork and pay whatever you have to pay and get all the paperwork approved.
And a lot of US companies don't want to go thru the hassle.
Cabelas was one of them. Wouldn't ship a choke, Wpg store would have to go to US border to p/u, he didn't want to do it either.