Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-28-2018, 04:19 PM

Default Great news from ASF!!

Fantastic news for Atlantics!!.....Greenland signs on to 12 year Commercial Fishing moratorium of Atlantic Salmon.

http://asf.ca/asf-and-nasf-sign-12-y...eenland-f.html

May be a bit premature to get too excited,but WOW,it would amazing to be able to restore so many of the incredible East Coast rivers to their former glory of playing host and home to The Sport of Kings!!
Atlantics don't die after spawning like their Pacific cousins,and Multi Sea Winter(MSW) fish have been recorded as returning to spawn in their natal streams for as many as 7 years in some instances.At sea mortality has been the plague of east coast Atlantic Salmon conservation efforts for decades,with the Greenland Commercial fishery being of considerable concern.

Again,I may be jumping the gun here,but for Atlantic Salmon anglers this is huge and exciting news.We anglers have faced ever more strict regs and conservation efforts in the Maritimes since as long as I can remember....from 2 fish/day limit in the 70s to 16 tags/year early 80s...then 8 adult/8 grilse tags....then 8 grilse only tags(grilse are young one sea winter returnees/mostly males and max 25").....to ZERO retention since 2016....all the while stocks keep declining from at sea Commercial harvest and a blatant in your face black market.

Regardless,I am STOKED!!
I haven't been back home nor spent a single night in Dad's Salmon camp on NB's once world famous Miramichi R. for almost 4 years now,and had all but given up any hope for this once incredible fishery.A bit late to realize any results or for me to make plans for this summer,but I'm already making plans and daydreaming of hooking into a 25lb chromer in July 2019,and hopefully for many more years to come!! 🤗

Last edited by lilsundance; 05-28-2018 at 07:48 PM.