Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-12-2015, 06:54 PM

Default Good time to buy a trailer?

With the recent economy, is it a good time to buy a trailer? Or are prices going to keep dropping substantially? Looking for a mid to late 2000's bumper pull around 23-25feet. Never owned one, would like to buy (with cash) soon, but not if prices are going to plummet. Opinions?
Old 05-12-2015, 06:58 PM

Wait!!!

The real 'fire sales' will start in late summer ... they'll be giving them away by then!

Mac
Old 05-12-2015, 07:27 PM
Banned

Mac is right but keep your feelers out for that fire sale deal.
They always come up but ya gotta jump on em quick.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:29 PM
Banned

Most of them are camped out on the border waiting to get their Roughrider jersey's.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:53 PM
Banned

Default Do you NEED it or do you WANT it?

That is the question you have to ask yourself.Can you justify spending 15+ grand on something you will use 5-6 times during the "GLAMPING" season?

Yeah I say "GLAMPING" because you are not CAMPING when you tow all the conveniences of society out to a campground and park your 5th wheel for each long weekend.

Also can you store it at your home or will you have to pay for storage during the off season?More added costs for an un-needed toy.

Last time I went camping I did so in a tent in 6 feet of snow in Yoho National park in March.I had no choice as I was enrolled in the outdoor experience program in school.I will say though I actually went CAMPING and roughed it without a propane powered furnace/stove/fridge and without fancy/comfortable sleeping arrangements.I also got deprived of a daily shower and a lot of the other niceties of being at home.When I got back I stunk to high hell and the first thing I did was take a hot shower.

I dislike "GLAMPERS"....sorry for the rant.

FTH
Old 05-12-2015, 07:59 PM

Yes it is a good time, I am looking at getting one aswell

And its not glamping. I have a wife and 2 girls and it would make life easier on them when out. We will still do the tent thing and when I go myself I will always use a tent but dont knock people that use a trailer. The wifes parents are older and like camping so a trailor makes it easy on them aswell
Old 05-12-2015, 08:03 PM

The nicest thing about trailers is you have a place to poop and a place to store that poop until you get home. The worst thing about random tenters is they poop all over the place and leave a heck of a mess. Ever walk down the river bank where tenters have been. Nothing but toilet paper and mounds of poop.that's my say. Back in the day the forestry service used to maintain outhouses in the popular camping spots. Now no outhouses just a mess.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:05 PM

If your looking for this season I'd say prices are good not great but good, as with anything seasonal it's cheaper out of season. If u can hold off until the end of the summer I think the deals will be VERY VERY GOOD, lots of guys out of work or taking big roll backs and will be dumping toys!
Old 05-12-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by From The Hip View Post
Last time I went camping I did so in a tent in 6 feet of snow in Yoho National park in March.I had no choice as I was enrolled in the outdoor experience program in school.I will say though I actually went CAMPING and roughed it without a propane powered furnace/stove/fridge and without fancy/comfortable sleeping arrangements.I also got deprived of a daily shower and a lot of the other niceties of being at home.When I got back I stunk to high hell and the first thing I did was take a hot shower.

FTH
Wow. Do you get some sort of badge for that? A title maybe?
"The Most Interesting Camper in the World"!
Old 05-12-2015, 08:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
That is the question you have to ask yourself.Can you justify spending 15+ grand on something you will use 5-6 times during the "GLAMPING" season?

Yeah I say "GLAMPING" because you are not CAMPING when you tow all the conveniences of society out to a campground and park your 5th wheel for each long weekend.

Also can you store it at your home or will you have to pay for storage during the off season?More added costs for an un-needed toy.

FTH
You used a tent? In a fancy park. La ti da. Fancy schmancy. That's what I call glamping. Please don't tell me you had a sleeping bag and an air mattress or I will literally LOL!!

I once slept on a picnic table, in my clothes, no sleeping bag, no pillow, no comfy snow, and not in a park either. Plus I was out of beer. Now THAT my friend is camping.

All in good fun.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:17 PM

Default prices are going up

If you believe what some members have posted lately they're going to be living in their trailers before 4 years are up. I would expect supply and demand to drive up prices.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:22 PM

If staying in my 30ft 5th wheel is glamping, I am glamping. We don't have a tv and spend just about all day outside. It is nice though to walk into our air conditioned trailer and climb into my king size bed.

That being said, we are reevaluating if we want to continue down the camping path. When I'm working I don't have time to go camping. Now that it is slow I have time but we dropped the ball booking sites so it is tough to get anything. Combine that with the price (booked 1 night at a full service prov park for $63), the price to haul the trailer and it doesn't seem worth it.
Old 05-12-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:

FTH
I'm surprised you can see us peons down here, with standing on your soap box and your nose so high in the air....

Good grief.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:42 PM

Just to clarify, I'm somewhat against the great big trailer thing when recreational camping. I've always towed the boat, and just tented it in a big 10 man tent. But now I have a 10 month old baby girl, and she's not going tenting for a week at a time, so I'm getting a trailer for her. Also have the wife and 8yr old step-son to house. Not looking to 'glam' camp. Medium size 10yr old 24' trailer. As for want vs. need, I need it if I want to go camping this summer with the family. Money is there, just don't want to get hosed if in a few weeks or a month or two it's gonna be a huge fire sale, with new gov't and low oil prices etc. Thanks for any input!
Old 05-12-2015, 10:26 PM

I bought a used 2007, 21 foot last year, paid a fair price. Take your time and look around, there is some junk out there. I am currently looking for a better matress for this one, all or most are of low quality.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:35 PM

Glamping is the only way to go when you hit 40!!!
second hand units will not drop till after this summer.
new units are pricey right now because of the low dollar.
watch the ads up north like Edmonton and fort mac and you might find a good deal---lots of guys heading back east and not coming back
Old 05-12-2015, 11:01 PM

When it rains you always see the ones in tents soak, miserable and usually heading home early. You can't beat getting offf the ground and staying dry. If you're up in the mountain area then there is a good chance of snow as well this coming weekend. After a day in the outdoors it's nice to be able to clean up, warm up and comfortably relax. My wife is quit happy with our trailer and enjoys her weekends out. She gets to enjoy the outdoors and company while I'm out and about. Did I mention it has 4 tvs ha ha ha

Who are you going to blame when all the ohv's are gone and the fish are still dieing
Old 05-12-2015, 11:24 PM

Buy south of the border.....
Old 05-12-2015, 11:35 PM

Used trailers, the bigger they are the cheaper they go S of the border, our dollar sucks though. Look for an Artic fox 4 season or desert fox(toy hauler), made by Northwood, excellet trailers. A bit heavy though. What do you have to tow it with?
Old 05-12-2015, 11:54 PM

There still maybe deals to be had but demand is increasing as summer approaches. I started looking in January. I found a sweet deal on a 2000 25ft 5th wheel, bunk model. Hardly used and always stored inside. I'm the third owner. I asked the seller about the propane tanks? He shrugged his shoulders, he never had them out to refill. They were the original tanks, 15 years old. I paid 7k, the original invoice was in a cupboard, 28k.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
You used a tent? In a fancy park. La ti da. Fancy schmancy. That's what I call glamping. Please don't tell me you had a sleeping bag and an air mattress or I will literally LOL!!

I once slept on a picnic table, in my clothes, no sleeping bag, no pillow, no comfy snow, and not in a park either. Plus I was out of beer. Now THAT my friend is camping.

All in good fun.
Actually I would call that passing out in your friends back yard

FTH
Old 05-13-2015, 06:12 AM
Gone Fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post

All in good fun.
You had a picnic table?......luxury, pure luxury, we used to dream of having a picnic table !
Old 05-13-2015, 06:37 AM

SGI has good deals on campers if you don't mind traveling to get one new auction every Thursday

http://www.sgi.sk.ca/salvage_bid/index.html

this one sold for $14000 brand new

http://www.sgi.sk.ca/lcgi/salvage_bi...15007&store=NB

I went from 100's of uncomfortable nights on the ground to tent trailer-truck camper-18' Boler-23' trailer-30' bunkhouse
My wife watch's the price is right on satellite while I go fishing and I'll never have to poop over a log again
Old 05-13-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
With the recent economy, is it a good time to buy a trailer? Or are prices going to keep dropping substantially? Looking for a mid to late 2000's bumper pull around 23-25feet. Never owned one, would like to buy (with cash) soon, but not if prices are going to plummet. Opinions?
What is your budget? For what you're looking for I wouldn't say prices will ever "plummet". You might find someone who isn't selling their unit drop the price $500 here and there...but that's usually because they're asking too high to begin with. 10 year old, 25-27 footer will range from the 10's to mid teens. Units like Arctic Fox's etc will go for quite a bit higher, closer to $20K.
Going to the US is great if you're looking at spending $30k or there abouts...you could save thousands down there. I doubt you would save much at all on the price range of what you're looking for.
Example: 2007 Keystone-springdale for $8500. That price isn't going to plummet at all. I bet it won't even stick around that long. You can find decent deals at almost any time. Right now a lot of people have purchased new units after the RV show we just had and are unloading their old ones. Others will wait til the end of the current season to unload. Just pick your budget and look for that range. You'll find them.
Attachment 107468

Last edited by Clgy_Dave2.0; 06-03-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:03 AM

Watch Kijiji .
I picked up a great deal on a 23 ft trailer 2 weeks ago. The add went up at 2pm, I was the first person to look at it, paid cash and had it back in my yard by 4 pm, so deals happen fast.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:49 AM

I decided to sell my trailer this year. Last fall it was listed on Kijiji and had a lot of interest but no sale. Two weeks ago it was listed at the same price and sold in 4 days for full price. So timing on the sale is important, more so than the price.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:58 AM

I wouldn't wait to MAYBE get a slightly lower price on a ten year old trailer. You want to buy it to enjoy your summers with your family. Why delay and miss a summer camping with your kids? Lots on kijiji for $10,000 or less in he size and age range you are looking for. I wouldn't write off a summer to maybe save a grand. Already had lots of layoffs anyway.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:09 AM
Banned

Default Insider Perspective and Outlook

I own a Repossession and Remarketing business and operate from coast to coast in Canada.

My advise would be to wait to make a purchase and to purchase a really nice used one when you do, or if you are set on buying new wait at least another 3 months. One of the first industries that takes a big hit in tough times is the holiday trailer/motorhome industry.

Many of these retail outlets are sitting on millions of dollars of inventory, and if they are not moving product they are loosing $$$ hand over fist. When this happens the first thing they do is reduce their sales price in order to stimulate the market. So expect to see some really good deals in Alberta soon.

What I have seen in my business, is that repossessions on all types of assets is getting very busy and only getting busier. Because of this election the oil companies that were already laying off employees are taking a wait and see approach and will not be hiring or investing in the near future.

Also any smaller independent oil related companies that were operating beyond their financial means will be hurting and selling their assets to bigger more financially stable oil companies in order to stay solvent and to avoid the worst case scenario, or even going bankrupt.

IMO based on what I am seeing in my industry, you will be seeing lots of toys hitting the market as the owners will be divesting of their toys and unnecessary assets and if they are smart, making sound financial decisions to weather the storm that is now way beyond brewing.

Sorry for the bad news!

Last edited by edmhunter; 05-13-2015 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
As the Dollar gets worse the new trailer prices will go up and that effects the used market as well. The used market is directly connected to the new.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:55 AM
Banned

Default July bargain on kijiji.

Found a 1997 Jayco 21.5' 5th wheel on Kijiji last July advertised for $5800. I had spent all of June in an 8' truck mount camper and was still reeling from the claustrophobia. We drove about 100k to view it as the price was low and the size was high.

Tire kickers; we thought we should wait until end of season to buy.

But we decided to take it when the seller dropped the price to $5000. Mint condition. Every option, no spare. Everything works and no leaks. $25.00 for parts and a lot of cursing and missing skin off my arms repaired the landing gear. He included a Reese 15000 hitch and I bought and installed a rail kit and brake controller custom made for my Sierra from Tiger Automotive. For under six grand we can pull the boat and bring the cabin. $158.00 per year to licence and insure; 3 more litres/100kms to pull with a gas pot. Fishing heaven.

Free