Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-30-2019, 02:23 PM

Default New Zealand tahr chamois diy

Hey
I m planing to do a New Zealand hunt for tahr and possibly chamois with rifle
at Xmas and New Years this year
I know which area I want to hunt, I know the airport I need to go, I know about the hunting permit and firearm permit.
Is it realistic to bring back 20 kg of meat with Me on plane?
Is it possible to bring back skull and horn with me on plane?
Same question for hide, but might already started to shed hair at this time of year...
Also, how is it recently with the pesticide(poisoning) program for tahr hunting on public land?
The more info I get, the better, so please share any experience or knowledge about my question or the situation of tahr in New Zealand.
Thx
Frank
Old 05-01-2019, 08:33 AM

Default firearms issues

You may want to dig deep into their new firearms legislation after their recent shooting episode.
I have not gone through it all personally, but from what I could tell based on discussions on another forum, there is going to be real issues bringing in your own firearms into the country. One kiwi that posted has stated that all firearms from out of country are currently banned access. Could be a bit of fear mongering and jumping of the gun, but needs checking into for sure. Without an outfitter to rent you a firearm, you may be stopped before you start.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:40 AM

Read up on permitting for bringing trophies and meat back from different countries.i believe there is one set of rules for importing from the USA and another set fmfor everywhere else.

I brought back 20kg of wild boar meet and skulls that were boiled from Florida with no problems.

Also brought back cleaned goat skulls, axis deer meet and fish fillets from Hawaii with no issues either.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:51 AM

Two years ago I did this exact hunt on my own
Rifle had to be inspected by the police at the airport no big deal back then except we arrived at 3:00am so fining the officer was a bit of a wait.
Skulls I boiled with a turkey fryer. Be sure they are clean and dry in the brain area and inside the horn sheath. They must be boiled till separated. You don’t really want to eat much of that tahr meat it’s no so good. Backs straps tenderloin and you will have had your fix. I didn’t eat chamois but they are better I think.
I shot a tahr and wild Marino sheep. The tahr hide was pretty clean, salted dry or frozen solid for customs.
The sheep I had great visions of a rug until I started skinning and the ticks and bugs and critters that started crawling out I figured there was no way customs was going to allow it and would create problems and delays so I left the cape and did a euro mount.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:35 AM

Yeah on New Zealand government web site they spec the new process for visitor with firearm, nothing too complicated, but more paper work need to be done in advance. Just like everything else in life today... always more paper work and less doing it. Should be in use March April, depending it being ready, it is not yet, but I suspect it will be at Xmas when I plan to go.
To bring back clean skull and frozen hide, do u need to have filled form in advance and send it to someone some where?
Thx
Old 05-02-2019, 09:28 AM

Don't know the location you are planing, I have shot a number of Thar, in the Twizel area over the years,
Currently there is chopper culling in progress, very much need in my view, I've seen mobs of upward of 50-60 animals, too many for the alpine tussock to remain stable, Still be good hunting, but it will likely be harder and more animals will not be recoverable, due to them retreating in to steep tight gut, cliffs.
I just eat a bit of Thar on the hill, it's pretty tough, taste is ok only, a young nanny is meant to be ok, I've only tried meat from a bull.
Chamiosis much better eating, lots of Thar won't be many chammy, more Thar the closer you are to the main spine of theSouthern Alps.
I suspect that you will have to contact Canada customs for import rules, and that it may require at miminum a licence butcher to process meat.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:45 AM

I believe a butcher that seal vac, use sticker on each pack that identified weight, animal and cost would work, but still wonder if I need some paper work done ahead of time to bring it in airport?
Anyone ever brought back meat from New Zealand to Canada? How?
Also to bring clean skull and frozen hide from new zealand to Canada, do i need paper work filled before to go at airport?
Thx
Old 05-02-2019, 11:46 AM

Ohh with receipt of course...
Old 05-02-2019, 12:29 PM

Just did a hunt in February/march. got me a couple nice chamois. I was told by the taxidermy that if you have a bleached skull and the horns off and completely cleaned out you can transport it on the plane. We were told it's not worth the hassle to bring back the meat. So I didn't and cant help you there. it's worth bringing your fly rod if you know how to fish. It was unreal fishing. super smart and BIG browns.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Thank View Post
Hey
I m planing to do a New Zealand hunt for tahr and possibly chamois with rifle
at Xmas and New Years this year
I know which area I want to hunt, I know the airport I need to go, I know about the hunting permit and firearm permit.
Is it realistic to bring back 20 kg of meat with Me on plane?
Is it possible to bring back skull and horn with me on plane?
Same question for hide, but might already started to shed hair at this time of year...
Also, how is it recently with the pesticide(poisoning) program for tahr hunting on public land?
The more info I get, the better, so please share any experience or knowledge about my question or the situation of tahr in New Zealand.
Thx
Frank
I lived in NZ for two years. It's an absolutely beautiful country. Just FYI you need a licensed Kiwi gun owner to use on your firearms application as you are required to store your guns in a safe while you're there. You are not allowed to store guns in your vehicle or even leave them unattended.

To my knowledge the tahr cull is not a poisoning operation, it is a heli shoot. Although you do need to be aware where they've 1080'd for possums and rats and whatever else. That info is available on the DOC website for the public land you'll be hunting. If there has been a 1080 program in the last 6 months I'd advise going somewhere else.

I've shot both Tahr and Chamy, the meat is delicious. They should be nice and fat that time of year. Also would be worth checking out the fishnhunt forum to see where the intensive heli culls have been happening. You don't want to hike your butt off to find nothing but carcasses. You may find someone willing to go on a mission with you. Kiwis are about the friendliest people you'll find.

Oh and FYI, make sure you take your sun protection seriously. Those southern alps are quite exposed and the NZ sun is seriously harsh in summer time. You'll burn way worse and much faster than you'd think. I did a Tahr trip two Novembers in a row and an early March trip for Chamy. In both instances I was using a fishing neck gaiter around my face for most of the day.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have more questions.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:11 PM

Canada will not allow you to bring meat back from a New Zealand hunt. I was there a few years ago and took a red stag, fallow buck and arapawa ram. We spent allot of time trying to get permission to bring the meat to Canada with no luck. Eat it while you are there and gift the rest. I had the skulls and hides prepped by a texidermist in new zealand and then shipped to edmonton to an expediter. Worked out very well. Took about 4 month from the time I shot the animals until I got them in my hands in canada. PM me if you have any questions.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:43 PM

Ok thx for all the info. Too bad for the meat. Probably save a lot of issue and time by not bringing meat back.
Old 05-11-2019, 04:37 PM

Can’t import meat from any country except the USA. I researched NZ and Greenland. Kinda killed my enthusiasm for international hints.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:16 PM

Yeah it is a bummer
I still plan on going... but the flight ticket is not book yet... never know
Old 05-12-2019, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Thank View Post
Yeah it is a bummer
I still plan on going... but the flight ticket is not book yet... never know
If you're spending some time you'll be able to eat quite a bit of it and whatever you don't, you'll easily be able to give away. My girlfriend and I polished off the first Tahr I shot in about 3 or 4 days. I can pass along some recipes, ginger tahr (think chinese ginger beef) being one of the faves.

Point being, it will not go to waste. Just sucks you won't be able to share it with anyone back home.

That being said, you should absolutely go if you have the opportunity. It's such an amazing place to hunt and the amount of opportunities are ridiculous.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernman View Post
Don't know the location you are planing, I have shot a number of Thar, in the Twizel area over the years,
Currently there is chopper culling in progress, very much need in my view, I've seen mobs of upward of 50-60 animals, too many for the alpine tussock to remain stable, Still be good hunting, but it will likely be harder and more animals will not be recoverable, due to them retreating in to steep tight gut, cliffs.
I just eat a bit of Thar on the hill, it's pretty tough, taste is ok only, a young nanny is meant to be ok, I've only tried meat from a bull.
Chamiosis much better eating, lots of Thar won't be many chammy, more Thar the closer you are to the main spine of theSouthern Alps.
I suspect that you will have to contact Canada customs for import rules, and that it may require at miminum a licence butcher to process meat.

Mate, I counted over 300 in one giant basin we were hunting up the Rangitata. It was ridiculous, the tussock was all gnawed down near the river bottoms. A bit of a cull was definitely required.

The young nannies were shot were absolutely delicious. Marbled fat on them that time of year. You cannot get better camp meat. Having backstraps back at camp every night was so much better than the backcountrys hahaha. The meat from the big bulls wasn't as good, but we still enjoyed it.

BTW, thanks again for the favour and please say hi to your father for me. It's too bad I never got to come say hi when you were back in Taranaki.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:41 AM

I was there in Jan, but more for touring, hunting maybe next time.
Did see choppers with hunters landing at Haast and Hokitika.

TBark
Old 05-23-2019, 03:19 AM

The government tahr cull is planned for July - Aug. This shouldn't prevent your trip but you just need to check the cull locations to ensure it hasn't been culled.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:20 PM

I personally would not spend any of my hunting money into a country that just threw all gun owners under the bus for the actions of one maniac.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:44 AM

Default NZ

I just got back a few weeks ago, Went with an outfitter and killed Tahr, stag, chamois, and an arapawa.
During the week we were there we ate dishes from all but the ram. It was all very good.
My favourite dish was a spin from Mongolian beef, only it was Mongolian Tahr.

NZ is a great hunting experience and yes there are many, many tahr.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:53 PM

As of yesterday I have a new favorite brother in law. He has a friend that will be taking me pig hunting New Zealand style. Also has fishing trips planned too. We will be going down there for all of December to meet my new to me N Z wifes family. Brother in law has a boat.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN MICKEY View Post
As of yesterday I have a new favorite brother in law. He has a friend that will be taking me pig hunting New Zealand style. Also has fishing trips planned too. We will be going down there for all of December to meet my new to me N Z wifes family. Brother in law has a boat.
Make sure your legs and lungs are in tip top shape. Once those dogs start baying you'll be sprinting up and down the steep hills that cover most of the country. Pig hunting is an absolute rush dude.

If your brother in law has a boat ask him if he does any diving/spearfishing. December is awesome for getting after paua, crayfish and several fish species with a snorkel, wetsuit and spear gun.