Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2020, 07:33 AM

Default Chromebook

Can someone clue me in on these. I need a new laptop for home and see these advertised at quite low prices. I assume these are a different operating system than windows? I just need something for general web surfing, banking etc.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
Can someone clue me in on these. I need a new laptop for home and see these advertised at quite low prices. I assume these are a different operating system than windows? I just need something for general web surfing, banking etc.
Chromebooks are great if everything you do is cloud based. Basically they are great for internet, email, and very general use. But you can not download programs, you would need to use the app version or web version. They also have very limited storage so even photos need to be stored online and any editing/etc would be online.

Yes different operating system, Chrome OS.

Personally I think Chromebooks are great, but you need a Google account, and imho are great to have as a second device in the household. We have one w10 laptop and 3 Chromebooks. Chromebooks get used almost exclusively, but the laptop comes out for remote working/programs. But I also know lots of people who can get by with just a Chromebook.

I don't know how well Chromebooks work if you are using an apple device currently (phone). As in, I think u need to download the Google apps on your phone and transfer everything. But I'm not 100% sure.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:48 AM

I have used a Chromebook exclusively for the last 5 years. Will never go back.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2020, 12:31 PM

Bought one as a backup for my PC for web surfing mostly, have a ballistic program on it as well, works good. I wanted one that could use android apps, this works for me.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:34 PM

if just surfing the net and banking you do not need anything fancy. A simple tablet would do that.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:43 PM

Love my chrome book. Better than a tablet for surfing and such. Like said internet and basic tasks, and watching netflix, or amazon prime or what have you.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:56 PM

If u have kids in school these are the same computers they use in school. Easier for kids to log in and do school work at home with these as well. Don’t need any anti-virus program same sort of thing as Mac books.
Old 08-14-2020, 06:19 AM

Thanks guys. I bought one. It seems ok so far except that there isn't a download for it to work with my wireless printer.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:43 PM

I was able to get the Google cloud print working with my Chromebook/wireless printer.

Have nothing but good things to say about them, though I do have a PC for other things. The chromebook I've basically used as a tablet for couch internet surfing. In 6 years I've had exactly zero issues with it and would gladly buy another.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:30 PM

I did some demonstrating for Google a few years back with Chrome Books. They work well actually when you figure out where and how to do things. You can also print to pretty much any of the major mfg wireless printers as well. I also rep'd for Epson as well and they also work well with Chrome. I would not hesitate to buy one as my purpose was more home fun stuff related.
Old 08-14-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twatermelon View Post
I was able to get the Google cloud print working with my Chromebook/wireless printer.

Have nothing but good things to say about them, though I do have a PC for other things. The chromebook I've basically used as a tablet for couch internet surfing. In 6 years I've had exactly zero issues with it and would gladly buy another.
My story exactly.