Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2011, 01:44 AM
Banned

Default Looking for a used Car

hello, as some of you may know, I am on medical disability ( Aish)

My car's tranny died.. so i am looking for a new car, aoround the $500.00 mark, or even a free one that you do not want anymore, all i need is that it runs. make/modle is not so important.
Thanks All.

RHF
Old 02-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadedFisherman View Post

My car's tranny died.. so i am looking for a new car, aoround the $500.00 mark, or even a free one that you do not want anymore, all i need is that it runs. make/modle is not so important.
Thanks All.

RHF
just wondering if anyone know of someone selling a good drivable used car?

thanks
RHF
Old 02-17-2011, 03:45 PM

Hate to say this, but a $500 vehicle is normally a POS. My last $500 vehicle cost me welding-time to rebuild the frame, had to rebuild the rear-axle as it was coming apart (brakes had to be replaced as well), new shocks, replaced the transmission and re-built the transfer-case, new drive-shafts, new carb, new radiator, new battery, re-wired everything under the hood (engine-fire) ... oh ya, and new tires. Parts alone in the beast is sitting near $5000 and now that it is in great condition, I might be able to get $3000 outta it.

I have had my '92 1/2-ton GM truck with a rebuilt transmission ($1000), new starter, new alternator, new tires, distributer (not just cap-n-rotor the whole bloody thing), new battery, new, new, new everything but the body that I've had on Kijiji for $1000 and I haven't had anything other than idiots sending me emails saying that it has been on Kijiji forever and that I should just take the $250 that they are offering. Naaa - ain't gonna happen.

Now, if you (or anyone else) can offer me something reasonable for it, I'll be happy to part ways with my truck so that I can make room for another truck (I want a 1-ton dually 4x4), but, till then, I am happy enough with what I have and I'll keep using it to haul junk when required.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadedFisherman View Post

Thanks All.

RHF
I don't know where you live, however I suggest you get in touch with Youth for Christ.
They have a program called Worth Auto. I know you should be able to find a vehicle through them. I sure hope this helps. Been in your shoes. Hang in there.

http://www.youthunlimitedcalgary.ca/...1000&id=296300
Old 02-18-2011, 07:18 AM

What car and tranny broke? Might be better to fix it then buy another POS.

The problem with a $500 car is that quite often it will take at least that to pass an insurance inspection.

I have my ear to the ground on some beaters, so I'll have a look this weekend.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaeKid View Post
Hate to say this, but a $500 vehicle is normally a POS. My last $500 vehicle cost me welding-time to rebuild the frame, had to rebuild the rear-axle as it was coming apart (brakes had to be replaced as well), new shocks, replaced the transmission and re-built the transfer-case, new drive-shafts, new carb, new radiator, new battery, re-wired everything under the hood (engine-fire) ... oh ya, and new tires. Parts alone in the beast is sitting near $5000 and now that it is in great condition, I might be able to get $3000 outta it.

I have had my '92 1/2-ton GM truck with a rebuilt transmission ($1000), new starter, new alternator, new tires, distributer (not just cap-n-rotor the whole bloody thing), new battery, new, new, new everything but the body that I've had on Kijiji for $1000 and I haven't had anything other than idiots sending me emails saying that it has been on Kijiji forever and that I should just take the $250 that they are offering. Naaa - ain't gonna happen.

Now, if you (or anyone else) can offer me something reasonable for it, I'll be happy to part ways with my truck so that I can make room for another truck (I want a 1-ton dually 4x4), but, till then, I am happy enough with what I have and I'll keep using it to haul junk when required.
sorry to hear of your car troubles, looks like you got too to the cleaners. my brother just got a $500.00 car for my cosin, good cleac carn runs well good on gas.. its a case of who you know.. (private sale)
unfortaly he has not another like it for me

and thats the way it goes, tyou always put more into it to fix it up, then sell( or try) at a lower price.. Now That's Karma.. (NOT) lol

RHF
Old 02-26-2011, 09:17 PM

Just checkin' in on this thread. Any luck on finding a replacement for you, or, could your current ride be repaired easily with some help from AO-members? I wouldn't mind spinnin' a wrench or two to help get ya mobile, I have done it before and $500 towards good used parts from a wrecker goes a long way.

Like AbAngler says ... Might be better to fix it then buy another POS.

Oh ya - the $500 beastie that I rebuilt was also OutOfProvince so I had to do alot of work to it just to get it to pass inspection.