Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-23-2007, 10:20 AM
sheephunter

Default This looks interesting

Accokeek, Maryland — Rimfire rifles continues to be one of the favorite rifles among shooters today largely because they have little to no recoil and offer a broad range of applications. The new Sako Quad offers even more diverse applications than average rimfire rifles. Truly unique in the world of rimfire rifles, the Sako Quad lets you select from four interchangeable cold-forged rifle barrels and change them in seconds. The barrels may be removed and replaced without changing the point of impact. Chambered in the popular .22LR, .17HMR, .22WMR and .17 Mach2, the Sako Quad also features a super smooth bolt throw with a short 50-degree bolt handle lift, detachable magazine, and user adjustable trigger system.

To make things easy for the shooter, each barrel and magazine is color coded for easy recognition. Just match the barrel band color with the correct dot color on the magazine and you are ready to shoot a different caliber. Safety has always been of the utmost importance to Sako and The Sako Quad is no exception. In order to prevent shooting the wrong caliber in the wrong barrel the magazines provide a special safety feature to prevent insertion with the wrong barrel in place. Each Sako Quad comes with a high quality fitted aluminum case. This sturdy case is equipped with a barrel change tool and room for a scope.

The Sako Quad is one rifle, four barrels, and two unique dual-caliber color coded magazines. It is available in two of the most popular styles. The Hunter Combo, which features attractive oil finished walnut stock with traditional checkering or the Synthetic Combo with a versatile and durable fiberglass-reinforced copolymer synthetic stock.

Also available with the Sako Quad is the Burris Sako Quad 3-9x32mm riflescope. Specially designed for this rifle, the color-coded windage and elevation adjustments are matched to the color coding on the Sako Quad barrels and magazines. Once calibrated for each of the four calibers offered, a barrel change requires only a turn of the corresponding dial to zero the scope to the appropriate barrel. (The scope is sold separately.)

The Sako Quad is currently available at Beretta authorized dealers nationwide.

Established in 1921, Sako was originally created to build and service firearms for the Civil Guard in Finland. Since that time, the company has been dedicated to providing innovative solutions to shooters' emerging needs for precision firearms. For decades now, Sako has developed world-class military, target and hunting rifles. The Sako brand offers the shooter uncompromising accuracy and reliability in a variety of calibers. Along side Beretta and its unique firearms traditions that reach all the way to the year 1526, Sako proudly carries on the precision rifle craftsmanship that has led to the success of the Sako products. Today, Sako manufactures, distributes and markets a complete line of rifles. Beretta USA is the exclusive distributor in North America for Sako products. For additional information visit: www.berettausa.com.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:37 AM

P&D has em from time to time, interesting concept for sure.
Just one fly in the batter.
They only come in a right hand version.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-23-2007, 03:21 PM
Banned

I know my money is going to a volquartsen first for a high end rimfire but i think its a pretty neat concept too. Read somewhere that someone wasn't a fan of how plasticky it was compared to what he was expecting from sako...in otherwords...don't order one without first handling one....have heard nothing else about them except that....no idea how they shoot etc....just thought i'd mention that comment i remembered reading when someone got their hands on the quad.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:40 PM

Nice looking gun. I have no problem spending that money on a big gun, but just can't justify spending $1700.00 CDN on a .22 without a scope. Although it is 4 guns in 1.
It is kind of nice that they also offer the gun in 1 calibre with the option of buying one barrel at a time. Just incase you don't want to buy the whole package.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JRSR2C1.jpg (30.4 KB, 10 views)

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 08-23-2007, 03:45 PM
sheephunter

So are centrefires next for Sako?????
Old 08-23-2007, 03:59 PM

Sheep you are probally right with that one.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 08-23-2007, 04:12 PM

Doubt that CF's are next.
Way to expensive to bulid interupted threads, and the head spacing issue is gonna be a big PITA.
Not to mention the diffrent bolt face diameters.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-23-2007, 04:17 PM
sheephunter

Blaser is doing it?????
Old 08-23-2007, 05:20 PM

I just checked prices on Blasers.
Barrels run $1200 to $1400 USD
Bolt heads are $225 each.
Bolt shrouds are $350 each.
The only complete rifle I could find listed at $4000.00
At those sort of Dollars I could own an arsenal of lesser rifles that probably shoot just as good.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-23-2007, 05:25 PM
sheephunter

Yes but Blaser is an expensive rifle regardless of the fact that barrels are interchangeable. Guess my point was that the technology is there...it will just be interesting to see if someone else picks it up and runs with it in a more affordable platform. I have to think these rimfires are a big first step.

There must be a market for interchangeable barrels as even Knight got in the game this year. Obviously the mechanics of making a single shot interchangeable are much simpler but you have to think that some will grab the ball in the bolt-action market.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:59 PM

The Blaser R96 is an extremely high end rifle. Even more so than the Sako's.
I almost bought one, (still thinking...) and found out you can get the bottom of the line model, used to called the "off road", but I think it's called something different as of this year, for about $2600. I've handled many of them, including some really, really expensives ones, and they are uncomparable to anything made here in the West. They are the Porsche of the rifle world.
True, you could probably buy 7 or 8 Remington SPS's, a dozen Handyrifles, or an entire case of SKS's, but if this is the way you rationalize your gun needs, then Blaser is not the rifle for you.

Production of a bolt action, switch-barrel centrefire rifle is way above and beyond the technological capabilities of any gunmaker in North America, so don't expect to see one anytime soon at Wholesale sports.

BTW, the Quad made it's debut at the 2005 SHOT show.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:01 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Production of a bolt action, switch-barrel centrefire rifle is way above and beyond the technological capabilities of any gunmaker in North America
LOL...ya all that U.S. military stuff sure is low tech....
Old 08-23-2007, 06:09 PM

Not beyond the techical ability, but most likely beyond the pocket books of many shooters.
It's been done in the past, for semi custom and custom rifles, but usually with the associated heart stopping price tag.
If someone actually could come up with a viable not outrageously priced swap barrel bolt gun, maybe it would fly. The big detractor is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

There are no absolutes
Old 08-23-2007, 06:14 PM

Not all US military stuff is made in the US...

The point is, anything can be produced with enough money and man-hours.
Nobody wants a $3000 rifle that says Savage or Remington on it, and the excecs of said companies are unwilling to produce anything that doesn't appeal to the 'masses', or isn't cheap enough for anybody that shops at Walmart to buy.

European companies actually hold a deep-rooted philosophy of how they want to run their company, and subsequently what they produce, and adhere to it. For the most part, they are unwilling to cut corners at any cost. Take a trip to Finland, Germany, Austria or Italy sometime and you'll see what I'm getting at.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:23 PM
sheephunter

If I'd have known that was the point you were getting at I'd have agreed. Money is the driving factor for sure but you can bet yor last dollar that U.S. manufacturers are looking at ways of making affordable bolts with interchangeable barrels. Whether they can do it or not remains to be seen but they most definitely have the technolgy. I think T/C proved that there was a mass market for a higher end bolt. Are North American shooters willing to spend 50% more 100% more on a bolt with interchangeable barrels....some definitely are.

Quote:
Take a trip to Finland, Germany, Austria or Italy sometime and you'll see what I'm getting at.
Been there done that and yes there are some high-quality rifles and optics made in Europe but there is some real crap too. You do get what you pay for.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:27 PM

Another thing-

When you get into this type of manufacturing, a lot of it needs hand-fitting and machining.
American guns all seem to be built by robots these days (stamped sheet metal and castings with little or no hand finish).
Old 08-23-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
there are some high-quality rifles and optics made in Europe but there is some real crap too.
Like what? (just curious)

What did T/C prove? That they could spend more money on advertising and marketing on the debut of a single rifle than ever before?
Old 08-23-2007, 06:33 PM
sheephunter

Really not into maligning any companies on here but Italy produces some real crap barrels for a couple of U.S. Manufacturers as well as selling them under their own brand names and I'm sure you've heard of the Czech Republic?

Last edited by sheephunter; 08-23-2007 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:38 PM

Hmmm... I think I've heard of the Czech Republic. Actually even the Czechs are producing some amazing stuff these days. I just bought a CZ 550 Safari Magnum and I am totally in love with it.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:40 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
What did T/C prove? They they could spend more money in advertising and marketing on the debut of a single rifle than ever before?
Your distain for T/C obvious clouds your judgement to the point where you can't look at anything they do objectively so why even comment. They make some good rifles but they are not the be all and end all of course. Anyhow, my point about the Icon was that T/C sold out their production run in a couple months proving that there is indeed a U.S. mass market for a higher end bolt action. Whatever you think about T/C and the Icon is irrelevant to this conversation. And truthfully, very little advertising dollars were aimed at the Icon.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:42 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Hmmm... I think I've heard of the Czech Republic. Actually even the Czechs are producing some amazing stuff these days. I just bought a CZ 550 Safari Magnum and I am totally in love with it.
Like I said..they are producing some real quality stuff and some real crap...obviously you are savvy enough to differentiate between the two.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:44 PM

Actually I really like T/C... I love their handguns, but we can't hunt with them here in Canada... But, I don't have any use for a zip-gun or a musket, so that's about all I can say about them.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:47 PM
sheephunter

And what the heck is a zipgun or is this one of those questions I'm going to be sorry I asked?

Considering their hangun is built on the same platform as the Encore and Contender rifle and their barrels are from the same factory and stock, I fail to see your point but that seems to be a common theme these days.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:33 PM

On the same note...... Kind of.....
I can change barrels in my Sig Sauer P226 from 40 S&W to 357 Sig or 9mm for right around $300. Three completly different shooting handguns all in one.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for: